Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

11 minutes ago, Feanor said:

Oh no, how will Taylor Swift ever recover?

I agree with this.

Nothing in the ST really looked that epic or futuristic tbh.

For example, we never really saw a city as grand and as “modern” as Coruscant from the prequels. Unless we count the 10 seconds of that one planet that got destroyed in TFA.

But it seems like hardcore SW fans prefer that old, dirty, western setting, seeing as how much they praise The Mandalorian.

I'm recovering from surgery...on pain killers...and bored to tears. So I'm watching Revenge of the Sith. I watched a preview showing of Rise of Skywalker before going under the knife. 

What strikes me the most about the comparison is how colorful Sith is compared to Rise. Now granted it dips into cartoon territory more often than not but at least it's more visually interesting that Rise (which was waaaaay too bland and gray to me). 

38 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

SW really needs to move on from the 70's aesthetic. No more planets with mono-climates, no more dusty dirty barren towns, no more silly helmets on everyone, no more giant super weapons. Can't just rely on iconography forever. The nostalgia well is running dry. Show us something new. 

If you want to make something new, why would you go for a franchise that is 41 years old at this point? Make something completely new. Putting “Star Wars” on the poster is already tying you to a bunch of existing stuff. Just leave old films alone and make something new. I personally didn’t think Avatar was that great, but at least it was a new thing when it came out, it wasn’t Cameron trying to connect it to the Alien franchise or anything like that.

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

This trilogy is a prime example in not having a plan

Next time, get all your writers, producers, and directors together and map out the whole trilogy arc and smooth out some of the details later in the production process.  There was absolutely no creative direction and consistency across these 3 films, its scatterbrains as fuck.  Its actually quite in impressive in a way... just winging it with a property that you just bought for 4 billion dollars.  The buck stopped with Kathleen Kennedy and she's a hack, there I said it!  Don't hate women, promise.

I wonder what that bit in Iger's book was about when Lucas reacted to what they had planned for a new trilogy. Did they have like a bare-bones plan of some kind? 

3 minutes ago, jking123 said:

theres no way TROS has batman v superman style drops right? I doubt the WOM is that bad. 

If it has BvS style drops during Christmas that would be horrendously bad

Ao doubtful!

Edited by The Panda

1 hour ago, DlAMONDZ said:

The 2 movies that followed TLJ either flopped or underperformed

But some people still try to say that only a vocal minority didn't like it

The 3 movies that followed Rogue One either flopped or under-performed...So Rogue One ruined Star Wars?

• Haha 1

I just remember that Grace Randolph went above and beyond to label Black Panther "not an event" because it didn't make 2B WW or some nonsense. She seems like a halfwit when it comes to box office.

Dan Murrell is far better if you wanna watch a You Tuber break down box office.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Obviously huge for The Rise of Skywalker, though yes, it doesn't compare favorably at all with the openings of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. I suspect that the divisiveness surrounding the Star Wars brand after The Last Jedi and Solo played a significant role in the lower opening, though I think the underwhelming reviews and mixed social media reactions from some fans who saw it on Thursday also dealt a significant blow to walkup business on Saturday and Sunday. It still has Christmas and New Year's ahead of it and will undoubtedly be the big movie of the year-end holidays by a remarkably wide margin, but I'm not anticipating much staying power past early January.

Does it spell doom for Star Wars? Not exactly, I think. Even with the divisiveness surrounding the brand name at the moment, it still delivered a $175.5 million opening weekend. If the powers that be regroup and make another movie that really resonates with audiences, it will be enormous. That's an "if," to be sure, but there's still far too much cultural cache tied in with Star Wars for it to go away for very long.

Looking elsewhere, it felt like a pretty standard pre-Christmas weekend for most of the holdovers. The Jumanji and Frozen sequels aren't going to be nearly as huge as their predecessors were at Christmas and New Year's, but they should both fare very well over the next couple weeks. (Knives Out should also get a nice boost as it approaches the $100 million mark.)

Cats had a disastrous opening, as expected. At least stateside, I legitimately think that there was more ironic anticipation for it than genuine anticipation, and that bore out in the eye-poppingly low opening weekend.

Bombshell didn't do great either in its expansion, but it's a tough sell for this time of year.

I remain baffled by how Ford v. Ferrari hasn't hung in there with great holds week-after-week with its CinemaScore in mind. I'm happy that it passed $100 million, but I was certain it would have had much, much, much more staying power.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

Questioning KK financial and creative decisions doesn't mean she hates women, I mean the results speak for themselves.

On the other hand this thread is preety creepy.

But Bob Iger already said in public that he will add more female executives for Disney before he leave. It means he will try his best to keep her safe at this point.

@Porthos @Knights of Ren how are you handling this? I'm finding it best to not even involve myself in tracking and following TROS's box office. It's liberating. As soon as I care. as soon as I log on and check each and every daily and drop and bump, that's when the depressing emotions will likely come (unless this shocks us all by being a 100% legs movie with a depressed OW, but I doubt that; the writing is on the wall).

My mind is actually already on 2020 in fact. Looking forward to seeing the likes of The Grudge and 1917 and following their box office.

• Sad 1