Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

11 minutes ago, Wrath said:

I agree, but I think the problem was after TLJ they had SO MUCH ground to cover they just had to do everything fast.

So much ground to cover after TLJ?

There was no ground left to cover. So J.J. had to make new ground. He made too much new ground to cover. His own fault. Several plot points and locations in the first 45 minutes could have been consolidated.

19 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

I know everyone is trying to spread how bad this movie is but at the end of my screening there was applause and after when I went to the bathroom multiple people were saying they liked it

Love is blind.

3 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Sticking with my (probably misguided) prediction that TRoS will actually play well with audiences and will be a crowdpleaser. Just saw it again with a full crowd and people seemed to love it.

Same here. Sold out 400ish seat LIEMAX theater. Crowd was into it. Then again, preview night crowds are hard to disappoint.

19 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I don't know if it's true. I'm reading some posts on reddit and someone is claiming that the verified users for TROS on RT are suspect.

It seems one of them has not been active for 12 years and another one was created today, while another one wasn't active for 1 year. Not sure if it's true, I'm just reading it...

Users here find it bewildering that there are people promoting everything Disney on social media in their free time in order to get tagged by Disney as "micro-influences" and get $10 discount for a bottle of water next trip to Disneyland. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, a2k said:

Just realized that the latest 3 SW films (SW8 + SOLO + SW9) could combined come under AEG's 2797.80 ww if SW9 does not cross 1072.10 ww.

1332.54+393.15+1072.10 = 2797.79

Amazing, at this point quite likely to happen too. 

9 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Sticking with my (probably misguided) prediction that TRoS will actually play well with audiences and will be a crowdpleaser. Just saw it again with a full crowd and people seemed to love it.

I have hope for this as well, my (admittedly, midnight) showing seemed to enjoy it a lot, so we'll just have to see how it plays out.

I'm just going to see it again now so I'll see how this crowd goes. Also looking forward to watching the Tenet trailer again, should get it since I'm doing Imax. 👍

Just got back from seeing it. Thoroughly enjoyed the movie. look forward to seeing it again

My son, who didn’t like TLJ, liked it as well. He didn’t think it was great but he liked it much more than TLJ. 

Oh yea. The Tenet trailer was ok. It looks like Inception but playing with time instead of dreams. 

Edited by junkshop36
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gamora said:

I have hope for this as well, my (admittedly, midnight) showing seemed to enjoy it a lot, so we'll just have to see how it plays out.

I'm just going to see it again now so I'll see how this crowd goes. Also looking forward to watching the Tenet trailer again, should get it since I'm doing Imax. 👍

That Tenet trailer was wild, especially since its like 5 minutes long and its not at all clear (if you don't already know) what it is until its over.

Mojo's (Brad Brevet) forecast on Juamnji - Hope he takes another look and edits.

• Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (4,406 theaters) - $215.0 M
  • Jumanji: The Next Level (4,227 theaters) - $42.0 M

Sony's Jumanji: The Next Level will slip to second in its sophomore frame after a nearly, $60 million launch last weekend, though just how much it's going to "slip" is a big question. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle debuted on a Wednesday two years ago, and over its first official weekend it brought in just over $36 million. However, over its second weekend, it saw a +38% increase as it began its run to a $400+ million domestic performance. It would be unfair to expect a similar performance from the sequel, though a ~25% drop similar to its predecessor's third and fourth weekends wouldn't be surprising. For now we're anticipating a drop around -29% and a $42 million three-day performance, pushing the film's domestic cume to $120 million if not more should it outperform our forecast.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

22 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Love is blind.

Hate is also blind.

I'm absolutely not suggesting there's some kind of conspiracy. I believe whole heartedly that a lot of people dont like this movie, but I also it's so easy for people these days to get caught up in the alarmism of negativity. It's easy to just go with the pack, or go into to the film with pre conceived notions.

I guess in a nutshell I'm saying I'm not jumping to any conclusions until I myself see the movie. I refuse to believe it's as bad as the internet will have you believe. 

Then again, I possess a very rare quality: a mind of my own!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, a2k said:

Mojo's (Brad Brevet) forecast on Juamnji - Hope he takes another look and edits.

Yeah, this was actually insane. Just a lil x12 Wed:Weekend when the Wed is a bit winter break boosted and a 150+ opener is coming out...

14 minutes ago, a2k said:

Mojo's (Brad Brevet) forecast on Juamnji - Hope he takes another look and edits.

Keith woulda had a Jumanji prediction that made sense. 😠 

10 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

Users here find it bewildering that there are people promoting everything Disney on social media in their free time in order to get tagged by Disney as "micro-influences" and get $10 discount for a bottle of water next trip to Disneyland. 

Just a lurker that made an account to chime in and say:

The "Verified" scores on RT are a little odd. A movie like Playing with Fire is sitting at a 21% RT, 4.6 on IMDB and a 77% Audience RT. Playmobil is at 16% RT, 4.4 IMDB and 64% Audience RT. 21 Bridges is at 50% RT, 6.6 IMDB and a 91% Audience RT.

I don't think it's particularly unreasonable to say that it's worth questioning what those kind of number can actually tell you. Maybe it's like Maoyan where anything below a certain score is average?

That said, I think your hypothesis behind why the scores are inflated and seemingly strange is totally weird.

No one on the planet is going around, buying tickets to Disney movies, just to overrate them on RT because they think they're going to get perks from Disney. No, Disney influencer shills and "Disney Moms" are not going around trying to skew scores in a meaningful way.

If scores are weird, it's either because:

1. The reviews are coming from a small and unique sample (people who use Fandango; likely skewing young and obviously American; and people passionate enough either positively or negatively to bother leaving a review on RT) that has a low predictive value.
  2. Reviews could be coming from actual corporate accounts (not super-fans, but actual farmed out accounts).

But no, RT audience scores are not dubious because of "influencers."

• Like 2

I'm sure people more well-versed in the Chinese box office can answer this for me, but I believe RT's verified score is similar to Maoyan, where scores are often high, but there's still certain marks that can predict WOM. In both cases, 90%+/9.0+ is great to excellent, high 80s is good, mid-to-low 80s is okay, anything below that is concerning, no?

• Like 2