Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, Porthos said:

I HAVE THE WORST FUCKING LUCK AT PREMIERES!!!!!!!!  :kitschjob: :kitschjob: :kitschjob: :kitschjob: :kitschjob: 

Pause.

Okay what I am about to say is partially my fault for being stubborn and angry and generally just pissed off.  Beware the Dark Side and all that.

Long time posters might remember my escapade I had with the Fan Event for Rogue One.  There was a torrential downpour in Sacramento that night and it cause the local IMAX theater to lose power during the film.  TWICE.

That didn't happen this time.  No, this time it was pure theater incompetence.

I got reserved seating for a 5pm showing.  I live about five, eight, minutes away from the theater.  I noted that there were only two SW showings going on right then.  About 275 people combined in both showings.  I figured it'd be a little busy, but it wouldn't be nearly the crunch that would start with the 6pm showings.

So I roll in with elderly father (it's a tradition that we go see SW films together on opening night) about 15 minutes before 5pm.  Should be plenty of time, right?  Hell, I might miss one or two trailers if they're really busy, but no big deal.  Never had a problem with long waits there even for busy movies, so I know the approximate time I need to be there early.  I should have had plenty of time.

The first warning sign I got was the line out the door when we pulled up.

Now, remember, reserved seating.  Scan your ticket and go.  It was like I stepped out of a time machine and back into the 00's or 90s.

Took us about 10 minutes just to get into the theater.  I think they were having trouble handing out the bennies for the Fan Event.    Then I noticed four very very long lines at the concession stand.  

And here is where I made my mistake.  I should have just swallowed my pride and said fuck it and gone in with nothing.  But, here's the thing.  I was going to get two large popcorns free as part of the fan event.  In retrospect I see this is the real source of the problem as everyone was getting the most popcorn they could get and the staff was overwhelmed.

Still, I looked at the line and said to myself, I should be able to make it.  I first made sure my pops was in his seat and comfortable, then went back to the line.

25 minutes later, I get to near the front of the line.

JUST AS THEY RUN OUT OF POPCORN :ohmyzod:

WHO THE FLYING FUCK RUNS OUT OF POPCORN AT A THEATER!!!! ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'VE GOT A PROMO GOING!!!!

REALLY NOW!!!

*pause*

Now, I know.  I should have bolted about ten minutes or so while I was in line. Well, what can I say, pride fucked with me.

Never let pride fuck with you, folks.  That's the lesson of the night.

Anyway, I missed about the first, oh five, eight minutes of the flick, but I was able to enjoy myself nonetheless.

Got comped two free re-admission tickets for my trouble and you better believe I'm going to use them on that sweet sweet IMAX screen they have.

And the funny thing.  The really amazingly hilarious thing?  When we got out at about 7:45 or so.... Much smaller lines at the concession line.  About the standard wait time even though there were far more people watching films.

Go figure.

14 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

If Star Wars pulls Lion King numbers that's perfectly fine. It gives Disney another billion and give the net another reason to bemoan that Disney is too powerful.

The Force Awakens was a major once in a lifetime reboot event (with Jurassic World earlier in 2015 being the second reboot event). The sequels were always going to drop regardless. 

Funny how Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom didn't drop 700mil from its predecessor. It didn't drop 500mil either. 

What's the issue with the movie? Is it just because some people are bitter about the direction of the franchise, or are there some legit issues with the movie, such as incoherent plot, lousy pacing, etc.? If it's the former, stop being a baby. But, if there are some real issues with the film, then people should really provide a little more detailed criticism, instead of just saying "Oh, it sucked" or "I just didn't like it".

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Funny how Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom didn't drop 700mil from its predecessor. It didn't drop 500mil either. 

Oh boo hoo, instead of 2 billion, Last Jedi made 1.3 billion. The dumbass movie still made more money than any more deserving film that year.

Oh hell, who am I kidding, arguing with a site where some members think Frozen 2 is underperforming.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That is awful. Looking at the line you should have skipped the popcorn and enjoyed the movie. Anyway see it again in Imax along with TENET prologue.

No no, you're right, you're right.  I should have.  But it wasn't just gonna be popcorn, but the who concession experience (hot dogs, drinks, etc).

No, I fully accept my share of the blame for not hitting the eject button in time.  Next time I'll listen to one  Marsellus Wallace about why you shouldn't let pride fuck with you. ;)

Took my son tonight and had a strange experience i've never had before. They didn't show any previews before the movie started.

We got to our seats at 8:25 for an 8:30 movie. The pre-show stuff ended at 8:30, then we had about 8 min worth of commercials - coca cola bears, girl talking to reindeer, disney+ and a couple of others. After that I was expecting 10-15 min of previews but the LucasFilm card came up and the movie started. 

This will be an interesting movie to follow over the holidays. There are parts of the movie I loved, and parts I didn't care for as much. Something of a mixed bag, but the highs were really high. Will be interesting to see where WOM lands over the next week. i can see why the critics were somewhat harsh, want to see if the GA feels the same way. They might, but they might enjoy it alot more than the critics did. It feels like a SW movie and moves quickly.

FWIW, we were at a 16 screen multi-plex that we haven't been to before because my son had a fundraiser before the movie - so we weren't at the theaters by our house. Of the 16 screens, they were showing SW on 11 of them. Had 1 each for Jumanji, Cats, Richard Jewell, Queen & slim and Knives Out.

• Like 2

The mixed word of mouth hurt The Last Jedi. I like the film but that is a fact. It's legs were ridiculously short for a Star Wars movie. Stop looking at the Rotten Tomatoes score and pay attention to the audience reception. It wasn't just Incel's that didn't like it. The reception left the franchise in a shaky place. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3

Just now, RamblinRed said:

Took my son tonight and had a strange experience i've never had before. They didn't show any previews before the movie started.

We got to our seats at 8:25 for an 8:30 movie. The pre-show stuff ended at 8:30, then we had about 8 min worth of commercials - coca cola bears, girl talking to reindeer, disney+ and a couple of others. After that I was expecting 10-15 min of previews but the LucasFilm card came up and the movie started. 

This will be an interesting movie to follow over the holidays. There are parts of the movie I loved, and parts I didn't care for as much. Something of a mixed bag, but the highs were really high. Will be interesting to see where WOM lands over the next week. i can see why the critics were somewhat harsh, want to see if the GA feels the same way. They might, but they might enjoy it alot more than the critics did. It feels like a SW movie and moves quickly.

FWIW, we were at a 16 screen multi-plex that we haven't been to before because my son had a fundraiser before the movie - so we weren't at the theaters by our house. Of the 16 screens, they were showing SW on 11 of them. Had 1 each for Jumanji, Cats, Richard Jewell, Queen & slim and Knives Out.

Weird. I saw it with my daughter tonight, and she timed it, exactly half an hour of trailers and commercials before the movie actually started. To be fair, we got the extended Tenet trailer, which looked great, but really went on for a long time.

Going back to Fallen Kingdom though, out of my time here, that opening weekend thread was one of the best. So many people thought it was going to underperform, then had their predictions stomped on. Lot of you guys are really on point with box office, and other times ..whoooo boy.

But then again, when the first Christopher Robin preview dropped, I predicted it would almost have a 200 million opening weekend, so what the ever loving hell do I know :D

Also Aladdin's was real good.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Before this year it was just a commercial for popcorn and coke after the trailers. Earlier this year it became one commercial in the middle of the trailers, and the last few movies I've been to there were 3 or 4 commercials with 4 or 5 trailers.  This is at the local chain and Cinemark theaters I go to.