Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

True and it could have been the biggest movie at the 2020 domestic box office if Bob Iger didn't schedule everything this year.

Would have given them another year to do the best they could in polishing the turd before release. Maybe it would have turned out at least somewhat better. 

I'm really curious how things unfold this weekend and for the run in general. For all the anxiety of the Disneyfication of the box office, the fact that <$1B is on the table demonstrates how quickly things can change. If Disney's mega franchises just kept on rolling along, box office would get pretty boring after a while. Whatever dominance they have is only sustainable if they can meet the very high expectations of fan bases, which were seeing is no easy feat. 

• Like 2

It I was to guess opening weekend box office it's just based off My theaters here in Northern Toronto, I'd say we are looking at a colossal under performance. There are two IMAX showings that are sold out right now. All the rest of the showings are either less than half full for 11 p.m. showings, or in other words the last show of the night, or about three-quarters full for the earlier shows. The force awakens and The Last Jedi were pretty much sold out a week in advance for the Thursday night shows. It wouldn't surprise me if this opened up to around a hundred and fifty million. Again I'm only going by the theatres closest to me but it definitely doesn't look good.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

43 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I mean, this will still be one of the 20 biggest movies ever domestically, which isn't exactly ordinary. While it's definitely a little disappointing, let's chill with this stuff. It's a mammoth franchise that is still absolutely gigantic even when it disappoints - like Age of Ultron or TDKR. Plus, Attack of the Clones WAS very ordinary, and while ROTS was the biggest movie of its year its not like 380m was some unstoppable Death Star when Shrek 2 and Pirates 2 routed it in bookend years.

TDKR didn't inrease a lot but it did (7th largest movie of all time) and AOU did 1.4B (6th largest movie of all time), if TROS where to do 1.1B it would be the 29th highest grossing movie of all time. So I would say that quite a difference.  To compare it Rogue One was the 20th highest movie.

ROTS was 12th in the WW ranking, ATOC was 13th WW and TPM was the second highest WW orignal release unless the rerelease was before the respective SW movie (Jurrasic park OG release). So it's normal for SW to be around 10th - 15th place with the outlier being The starting one 2nd and 3rd respecively. But TLJ also held 9th position so that is where you would expect it. But TROS dropping to 29th would be a big outlier and idd lose some status.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Ehhh...I assure you, I'm no fanboy of the new Star Wars films. My point with that money GIF is that Disney is such a behemoth company, it really doesn't matter how much money SW9 makes. Look at the ridiculous slate of mega sized movies they have released in recent years. 

It always matters to the studio how much a mega franchise makes. Heads will roll if this fails to rise to expectations. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, IcarusReborn said:

It always matters to the studio how much a mega franchise makes. Heads will roll if this fails to rise to expectations. 

I don't think heads will roll. I think the damage was done with the Last Jedi and you're seeing the results of that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pepsa said:

TDKR didn't inrease a lot but it did (7th largest movie of all time) and AOU did 1.4B (6th largest movie of all time), if TROS where to do 1.1B it would be the 29th highest grossing movie of all time. So I would say that quite a difference.  To compare it Rogue One was the 20th highest movie.

ROTS was 12th in the WW ranking, ATOC was 13th WW and TPM was the second highest WW orignal release unless the rerelease was before the respective SW movie (Jurrasic park OG release). So it's normal for SW to be around 10th - 15th place with the outlier being The starting one 2nd and 3rd respecively. But TLJ also held 9th position so that where you would expect it. But TROS dropping to 29th would be a big outlier and idd lose some status.

Exactly. Let's not play dumb here.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2

I'm really curious how things unfold this weekend and for the run in general. For all the anxiety of the Disneyfication of the box office, the fact that <$1B is on the table demonstrates how quickly things can change. If Disney's mega franchises just kept on rolling along, box office would get pretty boring after a while. Whatever dominance they have is only sustainable if they can meet the very high expectations of fan bases, which were seeing is no easy feat. 

It is not that difficult as long as you have an outline, some time of plan on where you are going, especially with a trilogy.

Letting Rian Johnson kill snoke in TLJ is an example of having no plan.  Imagine if they killed the emperor in Empire strikes back, what the hell do you do in the next movie?

• Like 1

Out of 'Likes' before any number, it shows Star Wars is still an event.

6 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

Letting Rian Johnson kill snoke in TLJ is an example of having no plan.  Imagine if they killed the emperor in Empire strikes back, what the hell do you do in the next movie?

The Emperor was barely a character before ROTJ, it wasn't clear how he could even control Vader.

Edited by MrGlass2

So disney ends the year with 3.75-3.80b dom and 7.20-7.25b os

$11billies worldwide for a single studio.

August 2015 Universal surpassed the record single year gross that Fox set the previous year of $5.5 billion.

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/universal-box-office-jurassic-world-record-1201557246/

Four  Five years later it has doubled.

Spoiler

OS estimates for the calendar year

Ralph 150

Poppins 100

Ep9 450

Frozen 800

Edited by MattW

Rian Johnson must be so proud.

His nihilism killed a franchise whose creator said it was about hope for future generations.

People like Rian Johnson never create, they destroy, feeling all smug and witty about it.

He s a genuine Sith Lord.

Truly sad if you ask me.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I will legit fly to America and go into LucasFilm and LAUGH at their door if this shit opens under Rogue One. Talk about killing your golden goose holy shit lmao.

You won't do it. But I am 99.9999% sure that we won't get the chance to find out, since this is pretty locked for a 160+ opening. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Lol let's wait until OW numbers before we announce the death of the franchise. 

I also seriously doubt Kathy gets replaced my guess is once her contract runs out in 2021 she'll leave.

She won’t be fired publically   but she will basically Have no power anymore