Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Well after these last few days of cynical shitposting I came in here all ready to make my negative Rise of Skywalker take.....but it was pretty alright, actually. The first third is an absolute MESS but it gets on track and at a couple points genuinely a bit moving. God I hope this doesn't get flagged as a spoiler but its a movie with pretty obvious anti-Trump themes and alot of stuff about missing dead people so as a huge liberal with a recently dead father who was obsessed with Star Wars I think I ended up getting a lot more emotionally invested than I expected.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

So, I decided to go to the theatre tonight and see Bombshell. 

I figured why not! My friends couldn't see Star Wars until Saturday, so I had to make due. 

Theatre was packed as expected, but certainly not the same level as Endgame (also as expected).

Bombshell had a total of 8 people, including my lonely self. 

I'm not sure that says a lot about how it might perform. Star Wars was sucking all the energy out of the room. 

Anyways, the film is pretty good.

I can definitely see a fierce batter shaping up for Best Actress between Scar Jo, Charlize and Renee. 
Margot Robbie will definitely get a Supporting Actress nom, but I don't think it was strong enough of a performance to win. 

If being the creepiest Motherf***er was an award, John Lithgow wins hands down this year!

• Like 1

I'll repeat some of what I said in the main TROS thread.

It's a good movie.  A solid B-tier SW movie for me.  About the same level as RotS, for many of the same reasons.

It has its flaws, no doubt.  Mostly on the structural side of things. But even if I am the board's Resident SW Shill and Apologist, I am not at all afraid to like some SW films more than others. 

The one thing I really didn't have a problem was was with pace.  Sure, it probably could have used about 15 more minutes to breathe a tiny bit more.  And, as I said to @Force Ghost Cap via PM a while back, the script probably could have used another three months or so of polish.

But it certainly isn't "the worst SW movie of the last 20 years".  

Not the best, not the worst.  An enjoyable time at the movies and an enjoyable SW tale overall.

(again, from what I saw of it grumble grumble grumble)

• Like 3

Oh, BTW, Deadline??? It's nearly 10pm.  You're supposed to have your third update now from your "inside sources".

To put it simply:

source.gif

(yes, I know it's probably gonna be a terrible number; just rip that bandaid off and get it over with, please)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'll repeat some of what I said in the main TROS thread.

It's a good movie.  A solid B-tier SW movie for me.  About the same level as RotS, for many of the same reasons.

It has its flaws, no doubt.  Mostly on the structural side of things. But even if I am the board's Resident SW Shill and Apologist, I am not at all afraid to like some SW films more than others. 

The one thing I really didn't have a problem was was with pace.  Sure, it probably could have used about 15 more minutes to breathe a tiny bit more.  And, as I said to @Force Ghost Cap via PM a while back, the script probably could have used another three months or so of polish.

But it certainly isn't "the worst SW movie of the last 20 years".  

Not the best, not the worst.  An enjoyable time at the movies and an enjoyable SW tale overall.

(again, from what I saw of it grumble grumble grumble)

Rank!

Rank!

Rank!

*bangs on table*

So.  I had a really fun night at the theater.

I showed up at 6PM, because I thought my IMAX tickets were for 6PM.  TURNS OUT, they were for 9:30PM.  Oh, dear.  I got three and a half hours to kill.  I'm certainly not going home.  I'll get in my bed, and snuggle up with the cats and Gene Kelly movies, and you won't see me again!  I will take a box of raisinettes and one of these, please:

image0.jpg

Jumanji started at 6PM!  Let's go do that!  It was a very fun way to pass the time!  Second half was better than the first! Couple of the bits dragged on!  Over all, good sequel!  Lots of fun!  

Oh, no!  It's only 8PM!  I have another hour and a half!  Frozen II started at 7:30PM.  Eff it!  I used my loyalty points for a comp ticket, got them to refill my lightsaber for free, and went to watch the last fifty minutes of Frozen II.  The girl at the counter: "You know the movie started like forty minutes ago?" "yeah.  I'm just gonna go watch Show Yourself to kill some time.  We're good!"

Show Yourself was OMG CHILLS.  I think it's #3 Cinematic Moment for me this year, only after #1 Portals and # Carol's "I Have Nothing To Prove" to Yon-Rogg.  

Frozen played!  It ended with enough time for a quick bathroom break!  And off I am to the Main Event.

I don't know if it's possible to love and hate something equally, but if it is, I am feeling that right now! So I'm just gonna focus on that every time Carrie Fisher was on screen I wept and it was such a privilege to just sit in a movie theater and listen to John Williams' score.  My God.  SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOD.  

So, in conclusion:

• Triple Features, Good
  • Jumanji's World Building, Good
  • John Williams, Good
  • Elsa, DIVINE

• Like 11
  • Astonished 2

3 minutes ago, Force Ghost Cap said:

So.  I had a really fun night at the theater.

I showed up at 6PM, because I thought my IMAX tickets were for 6PM.  TURNS OUT, they were for 9:30PM.  Oh, dear.  I got three and a half hours to kill.  I'm certainly not going home.  I'll get in my bed, and snuggle up with the cats and Gene Kelly movies, and you won't see me again!  I will take a box of raisinettes and one of these, please:

image0.jpg

Jumanji started at 6PM!  Let's go do that!  It was a very fun way to pass the time!  Second half was better than the first! Couple of the bits dragged on!  Over all, good sequel!  Lots of fun!  

Oh, no!  It's only 8PM!  I have another hour and a half!  Frozen II started at 7:30PM.  Eff it!  I used my loyalty points for a comp ticket, got them to refill my lightsaber for free, and went to watch the last fifty minutes of Frozen II.  The girl at the counter: "You know the movie started like forty minutes ago?" "yeah.  I'm just gonna go watch Show Yourself to kill some time.  We're good!"

Show Yourself was OMG CHILLS.  I think it's #3 Cinematic Moments for me this year, only after #1 Portals and # Carol's "I Have Nothing To Prove to Yon-Rigg.  

Frozen played!  It ended with enough time for a quick bathroom break!  And off I am to the Main Event.

I don't know if it's possible to love and hate something equally, but if it is, I am feeling that right now! So I'm just gonna focus on that every time Carrie Fisher was on screen I wept and it was such a privilege to just sit in a movie theater and listen to John Williams score.  My God.  SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOD.  

So, in conclusion:

• Triple Features, Good
  • Jumanji's World Building, Good
  • John Williams, Good
  • Elsa, DIVINE

Your current Avatar has just made you my favorite person on this site :D

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That is awful. Looking at the line you should have skipped the popcorn and enjoyed the movie. Anyway see it again in Imax along with TENET prologue.

I saw the TENET prologue in IMAX tonight.  It was pretty neat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, HenryK81 said:

What's the issue with the movie? Is it just because some people are bitter about the direction of the franchise, or are there some legit issues with the movie, such as incoherent plot, lousy pacing, etc.? If it's the former, stop being a baby. But, if there are some real issues with the film, then people should really provide a little more detailed criticism, instead of just saying "Oh, it sucked" or "I just didn't like it".

If you notice it's the same set of people that have been bitching for the last 2 years... some for 4 years.

Deadline where are you hiding your preview numbers? Half the fun of big premiere Fridays is trashing Deadlines shitty numbers while also simultaneously melting down over those very numbers 

Edited by dakus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought the movie was great.  I'll slot it in with the rest after seeing it again.

I do think it's the best finishing movie of all 3 trilogies and I think I like this trilogy overall the best.

Saw it in Dolby... mostly sold out.  Crowd seemed to like/love it just fine.

• Like 3