sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - 1917 $3.25M | Like a Boss $1M | Just Mercy $800K | Underwater $500K

49 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

BOP F2 estimate seems crazy. Fingers crossed though

Even an unrealistic 150% Sat bump followed by strong 27% Sun drop takes it to "only" 6.55. 

6.9 is a typo for 5.9 IMO.

Edit: Not a typo I guess as even Spies is estimated at 6.2 after 1m Friday. They are just going with huge Sats I guess.

Edited by a2k

1917 is doing great, it's about WWI and doesn't have a box office draw in front of or behind the camera. I felt kinda bad when Sam Mendes went on about the movie having no stars with them right there but George MacKay agrees: 

Just Mercy wasn't doing the greatest in limited release, but sometimes a drama is just not made for the NY/LA arthouse crowd but flourishes with a slightly broader prestige audience outside of those two cities.

Hopefully the Oscar nominations are kind to Little Women and it rebounds next week.

Somewhat movie related, but has an award show host ever been announced this far in advance? Someone high up at NBC really must have haaaaaated Gervais!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Somewhat movie related, but has an award show host ever been announced this far in advance? Someone high up at NBC really must have haaaaaated Gervais!

I feel like Fey and Poehler got announced to return hosting like a couple days after they hosted another Golden Globes ceremony a few years ago, though I might be misremembering

14 minutes ago, Eric Dolittle said:

I feel like Fey and Poehler got announced to return hosting like a couple days after they hosted another Golden Globes ceremony a few years ago, though I might be misremembering

If they just hosted and it went over well and the network says right away that they're coming back again next year, that makes sense, it's continuity. But this time it's been a bit of a hiatus since they hosted, and the most recent Globes ceremony wasn't even a week ago. It's just funny how quickly NBC and/or the HFPA seemingly want to move on from Ricky.

Random question but what the hell is an AMC Artisan film? I found about this when I went to go by The Gentleman tickets off its website and that film was listed as an Artisan film. I tried to look it up and look at past movies that fit into that category but most of them range in budgets and content. Apparently it was a way to help mid budget movies but like I’m trying to figure out what the criteria is for an “Artisan” film at AMC. It’s def not indies that’s for sure. 

Edited by Nova

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

Good numbers for 1917 and Just Mercy.

Rise of Skywalker running total will likely fall behind Rogue One on Sunday. Still headed for a 500-510M finish unless it crashes next week with theater loss.

Speaking of which, made this chart yesterday:

HBOpuSG.png

The Top 10 did well (especially Disney) even if the overall domestic BO went down for 2019, accounting for a larger % share

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/us-box-office-2019-revenue-falls-4-percent-sharpest-decline-5-years-1264724

Spoiler

xO0Cunq.png

eHgKSlD.png

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Nova said:

Random question but what the hell is an AMC Artisan film? I found about this when I went to go by The Gentleman tickets off its website and that film was listed as an Artisan film. I tried to look it up and look at past movies that fit into that category but most of them range in budgets and content. Apparently it was a way to help mid budget movies but like I’m trying to figure out what the criteria is for an “Artisan” film at AMC. It’s def not indies that’s for sure. 

https://www.amctheatres.com/artisan-films

According to the website: "Any movie with the AMC Artisan Films seal is an artist-driven film that advances the art of making movies."

Seems a bit nebulous but I guess anything that's "cinema" and not a franchise thing.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Seems a bit nebulous but I guess anything that's "cinema" and not a franchise thing.

Lol, I think they had Joker as an Artisan film but not The Farewell, Little Women, or Hustlers. They sure as hell are doing what they said they would.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

https://www.amctheatres.com/artisan-films

According to the website: "Any movie with the AMC Artisan Films seal is an artist-driven film that advances the art of making movies."

I guess my question then becomes is why do some films get the artisan tags and some don’t? There are some non-franchise films that aren’t listed on there. I thought it was related to budget but films from very low budgets to as high as $90M are there. Then I started to think that maybe they were trying to promote critically well received films or films they presume to be well received since a lot of the films on their list have good to really good reviews but I saw CATs got the approval so clearly that’s not the case 😝

I appreciate what they’re doing I suppose but wish they’d be more clear as to how they decide their films. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol, I think they had Joker as an Artisan film but not The Farewell, Little Women, or Hustlers. They sure as hell are doing what they said they would.

The Joker was on there! So I guess it throws away the non-franchise theory. Farewell was listed though as I went back through their films that they had on their list. 

Not sure about Hustlers or Little Women. 
*Edited: yea those weren’t on there. The list they have on their website right now is a bunch of films with good reviews (except for CATS) and then some films that haven’t come out yet but that they included on their list. Wonder why Hustlers and Little Woman got left off but Joker got included 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Nova
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

The Joker was on there! So I guess it throws away the non-franchise theory. Farewell was listed though as I went back through their films that they had on their list. 

Not sure about Hustlers or Little Women. 

Well, Joker was a non-franchise film, technically speaking. At least until its sequel.

16 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Well it makes sense, Joker will win more awards than all those other movies combined.