sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - 1917 $3.25M | Like a Boss $1M | Just Mercy $800K | Underwater $500K

21 minutes ago, ZackM said:

My numbers would suggest about 4.2M for Star Wars today.

Pre-MLK IMs: 

TFA x3.94 -> 16.55M

RO x3.63 -> 15.2M

TLJ x3.64 -> 15.3M  

RO and TLJ had the pre-MLK weekend earlier in January and the Friday still had some school breaks. TFA IM looks pretty realistic to me.

• Like 1

Just saw Motherless Brooklyn. It's really beautiful-looking, and it feels really sleek and it is just OOZING with atmosphere (and the score is brilliant). But the narrative felt very unfocused, and things would just sorta pop up and go away. Norton's got potential as a writer and director, he just needs to hone his craft a little. 

5 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

So, the same budget as Dunkirk, but it is going to gross way less than that. Meh

Wasn't Dunkirk significantly more expensive (specially when you consider the Nolan's first dollar gross deal):

https://issuu.com/netherlandsfilmfund/docs/film_facts_and_figures_2016_issuu/10

Using a $526M blockbuster result for the bar of a mid budget war movie is pushing the edginess.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

So, the same budget as Dunkirk, but it is going to gross way less than that. Meh

Im not sure its going to be WAY less. This could break out many places and win some oscars at the right time to have amazing legs

Underwater will need ~2.7x multi to beat CA's abysmal dom. With MLK in 2nd weekend and non-IP unlike CA, it could get there (which of course would be a disastrous result and well under half the 50 prod budget).

RT verified score is 63% and imdb the same with 6.3/10.

The pic, which cost $50M before P&A (not $80M as some others have it) was completely financed by TSG, with Disney/Fox getting a distribution fee. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Underwater may be in the delayed casualties that we had in the late 90’s like The Relic, Deep Rising, and Virus. But hey Kristen Stewart can’t sell cardboard.  Not a great way to start off the year Disney

Fixed lol ;) 

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Just saw Motherless Brooklyn. It's really beautiful-looking, and it feels really sleek and it is just OOZING with atmosphere (and the score is brilliant). But the narrative felt very unfocused, and things would just sorta pop up and go away. Norton's got potential as a writer and director, he just needs to hone his craft a little. 

I found it a little tricky to follow, the second half I didn't really understand what was happening most of the time. A lot of clutter.
But you're right that the atmosphere makes up for it. Cool little noir film.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

The movie was shot before the acquisition. Most of the fox movies can't be associated with Disney as of now. 

Whoops I thought Disney were still the ones releasing them, doing the campaigns and paying for P&A. 

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I like Kristen Stewart a lot. It is such a shame that her step back into the mainstream has been such a disaster. ☹️

Big same. Hopefully, she'll get another chance and soon.

• Thanks 1