TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

The marketing was exceptionally unique. Hard to believe it was because "it didn't look cool." 

not really, for me its just seem unexcited , and i didnt find it unique at all , or at least worht checking out, and i dont think that i am the only one

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think sub 200 Million for BOP is a pretty realistic  projection at this point.

I really,really, liked the film but I think breaking even is the best Warners can hope for, and that is a long way rom being certain.

Optimistic imo of course would be 225, pessimistic would be under 175. 190-199 seems very realistic. I hope for better holds. Clearly the people who saw it liked it.

Edited by cdsacken

7 hours ago, thedast said:

I agree. When I heard they were doing a Harley movie, this isn't what I pictured. People were saying they didn't want to see a Joker/Harley movie because of Leto, but to non comic book nerds the most interesting thing about her is her connection to the Joker. Clown faced psycho couple engaging in bad behaviour while dealing with their demons is more unusual and arresting than 'girl squad take down random bad guy' which we've done to death. Deadpool's hook was unusual for the time because OMG VIOLENT BUT COMDIC SUPERHERO IN TIGHTS but I see the novelty wearing out after the 3rd. Joker was a psychological thriller about a guy who happened to dress up as a clown. Choose your Rs for this genre wisely. 

That bolded part in spades!  They should have made a comic book version of Bonnie & Clyde.  

4 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

You might be confusing pessimism and realism due to the IP involved  

Realism isn't being hysterical over everything. He's gonna say it won't even make 150 mil WW and it's gonna lose an extra 50 mil in the box office if it drops by one more point on RT.

14 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Optimistic imo of course would be 225, pessimistic would be under 175. 190-199 seems very realistic. I hope for better holds. Clearly the people who saw it liked it.

I think some of these predictions are getting too low (yours are the most reasonable, but in my opinion still a little low). I would say 200m is essentially guaranteed (if it fails to hit that mark please come back at me, I'm prepared to never live it down) and ~220m is pretty feasible. The pre-presidents/presidents frame is fairly leggy (most comps compare well to August releases legs-wise) and BOP benefits from a lack of competition (I genuinely don't see Sonic eating into BOP's demos, it reminds me of when Fifty Shades Darker, Lego Batman and John Wick 2 all opened against one another in the same pre-presidents weekend in 2017 and each thrived). Its very possible BOP misses 100m dom, but I would be surprised if it can't pull a standard 2.7-2.8x multi with its release date 

Internationally I have to turn once again to Glass, another R-rated CBM subgenre film. It opened slightly higher at 48.5m OS, but my goodness its numbers in each country are incredibly similar to those of BOP. Glass pulled a 2.8x multi internationally without the Feb holiday in Europe (though it had some winter holidays in LatAm), which will almost certainly boost BOP in that region. Like Glass, BOP isn't relying on fast-burn markets like most SH films do. WOM, and the degree to which BOP experienced an OW fan rush, are major factors, but I have little trepidation about giving BOP a 2.8x multi overall. Add in 2-3m for Japan and that gets BOP to 225m, I feel thats hardly very optimistic. Optimistic would be something like 240m+

Granted, even the most optimistic number would still be a disappointment. WB doesn't make movies to break even, especially not DC-event films. In general, there's a huge opportunity cost for the studio when one of their slated event films fails to bring in big bucks. They need all the profit they can get from movies like BOP to allow them to take bigger risks on less IP-driven films.

Still, DC is a brand and ultimately the brand's long-term viability is the most important thing. The silver-lining is that the well-reviewed and generally well-liked BOP probably did more good for the DC brand than bad, box office numbers aside, and it could have been much much worse all things considered (I shudder when thinking about how low these BO numbers could have been had BOP been a bad film)

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 2

I'm not worried about whether Harley Quinn will have great legs or not. It'll have great legs. I'm also pretty sure it'll cross 100M eventually. This is not only because superhero films have a built-in audience that might not have seen this during the first weekend. It's also because the film is genuinely great. People will tell their friends.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I'm not worried about whether Harley Quinn will have great legs or not. It'll have great legs. I'm also pretty sure it'll cross 100M eventually. This is not only because superhero films have a built-in audience that might not have seen this during the first weekend. It's also because the film is genuinely great. People will tell their friends.

WB has had "genuinely great" films with poor legs before though, just look at Blade Runner 2049

3 hours ago, TheUndertaker said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they made a PG-13 cut to release somehow. Changing films later seems to be en vogue.

Fox did that with Deadpool 2 so why not? WB could get a little cash from the Hot Topic crowd with a PG-13 rating.