TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I stand by a Shrek 5 opening to $200M+ OW, it’s like one of the most loved movies for 2000s kids like The Incredibles. Sure there’s been two bad/meh sequels but both Shrek 1 and 2 are loved.

Shrek 1 is the most beloved Animation of the last 20 years, hopefully Shrek 5 can do well

8 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

AT MTC BOP seem to hold better than estimates. MTC1 drop is 28% and MTC2 around 27%. Even if it over indexes I would say 30% drop to around 8.5m. 

MTC4 total tickets dropped 41% with almost all of that coming from evening shows.  Will be interesting to see if it's typical for MTC4 to under index so much on Sundays.

45 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

The log jam when theaters re-open is going to be huge.  Chinese films (especially those that were supposed to premiere for New Years) will get preferential dates and they'll probably be stacking US films on top of each other - fewer screens, more competition - quickly in and out of most theaters. Of these Doolittle probably takes the biggest hit .  I looks to drag into March and then it's Mulan.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, john2000 said:

wow, now we start saying excuses,  that the rating was the problem, i mean its not like we have see comicbook movies be successfull when they are r rated eh ? , guy stop this, the answer is simple, the general audiences just didnt care about the movie, and didnt find it intresting , the rating wasnt the problem, i mean , do you expect that if bop was pg 13, it would have made  60 mill ow ? no , it could be higher than 33, but not that much , as deadpool, logan,joker, and other r rated movies have proved, if people like what they see , they will check the movie, if not well , and the problem with bop, its not even harley or the characters themselves ,   its more of the fact, that it wasnt intresting

I agree. When I heard they were doing a Harley movie, this isn't what I pictured. People were saying they didn't want to see a Joker/Harley movie because of Leto, but to non comic book nerds the most interesting thing about her is her connection to the Joker. Clown faced psycho couple engaging in bad behaviour while dealing with their demons is more unusual and arresting than 'girl squad take down random bad guy' which we've done to death. Deadpool's hook was unusual for the time because OMG VIOLENT BUT COMDIC SUPERHERO IN TIGHTS but I see the novelty wearing out after the 3rd. Joker was a psychological thriller about a guy who happened to dress up as a clown. Choose your Rs for this genre wisely. 

Edited by thedast

41 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The log jam when theaters re-open is going to be huge.  Chinese films (especially those that were supposed to premiere for New Years) will get preferential dates and they'll probably be stacking US films on top of each other - fewer screens, more competition - quickly in and out of most theaters. Of these Doolittle probably takes the biggest hit .  I looks to drag into March and then it's Mulan.

It's probably dragging till mid to late Summer imo, espescially if China is under-reporting the number of people infected and dead.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

I am so happy that Jumanji passed the 5x mark.... untypical behavior for a sequel, especially a sequel to a film that way over performed. 

I  was nervous about the 5x prediction back in December before the opening (50/250) and was way more nervous when it opened higher so its nice to have it officially past the mark. Later this week it hits 300m and we can celebrate again! 

• Like 5

Finally catching up on the weekend, been crazy busy. Nice Oscars last night, will be curious to see how close Parasite gets over 40m since DVDs and VOD is right now / around the corner. 

Nice holds for 1917 and Jumanji and nice to see Knives Out pop back up.