Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

It isn't a big deal...it's just a few people trying to make it one.  (I'm not going to touch the "lighter skin" debate).

This is also synergistic for Warner Bros.  Subtly reflecting the ongoing dynamic of the popular TV show (which, let's be honest, is still seen by many less people than the film potentially/ideally will be), and of course looking forward in terms of diverse casting in tentpoles.

Warners did the same thing (though without the diversity) for Superman Returns vs. Smallville (which was airing at the same time).  Bryan Singer and Warner Bros. "convinced" (or basically ordered) the Smallville producers to change-up their pre-existing mythology at the end of Season 4 and into the rest of the show by tying it thematically and aesthetically much more to Donner's classic film universe, which Singer's film was a loose sequel to.  While this didn't work out quite as well for the 2006 film, it's not as if it was outright rejected...and in fact some even look back at it more fondly now than they did at the time.  ...And Smallville lasted an impressive ten seasons. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rey said:

Reverse racism? Yikes...not gonna go there.

1 hour ago, kowhite said:

I mean, really wouldn't reverse racism be...not racist?

Dear White People perfectly explained why the existence of "reverse racism" is a crock of shit.

dear-white-people-movie-mister-scandal.gtumblr_nir6ch10HK1qgmv4ao4_400.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Just take a look at this:

I don't know how anyone can be against diversity in movies, specially in superhero movies that inspire so many kids.

And especially when we can get such an insanely cute pairing out of it. I mean, just look at these two:

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Dear White People perfectly explained why the existence of "reverse racism" is a crock of shit.

dear-white-people-movie-mister-scandal.gtumblr_nir6ch10HK1qgmv4ao4_400.gif

giphy.gif

I don't entirely agree...anybody can be racist...but...yet...I do agree.  Does that make sense?  I guess I'm saying I get the sentiment.

plus...she looks familiar, why do I know her?

Edited by kowhite

18 minutes ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

When did we redefine "racism" to mean "institutional racism"? They're not the same thing. Of course anyone can be racist.

I've seen this interpretation around a lot, in that racism only exists as a by product of power.  That may be true if we look at it's antecedents (though that discounts two powerful enemies being mutually racist) but I think the new definition fails to sufficiently acknowledge and differentiate between personal, systemic and institutionalized racism or even take into account that that two traditionally powerless minorities can be racist against one another but instead attempts to exchange the former common use of the word racism for bigotry which isn't by definition an exact fit and by that point it almost becomes a matter of semantics.

Regardless, the posters objections in the article were about colorism (which is a by product of racism) in casting black women.  All one has to do is read the casting sheet for Straight Out Of Compton to know how much that exists even within the black community let alone Hollywood and the world at large.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

When did we redefine "racism" to mean "institutional racism"? They're not the same thing. Of course anyone can be racist.

59 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I've seen this interpretation around a lot, in that racism only exists as a by product of power.  That may be true if we look at it's antecedents (though that discounts two powerful enemies being mutually racist) but I think the new definition fails to sufficiently acknowledge and differentiate between personal, systemic and institutionalized racism or even take into account that that two traditionally powerless minorities can be racist against one another but instead attempts to exchange the former common use of the word racism for bigotry which isn't by definition an exact fit and by that point it almost becomes a matter of semantics.

Regardless, the posters objections in the article were about colorism (which is a by product of racism) in casting black women.  All one has to do is read the casting sheet for Straight Out Of Compton to know how much that exists even within the black community let alone Hollywood and the world at large.

This is specifically in regards to the accusations of "reverse racism" as I clearly mentioned in my post. The inter-minority racism is another topic altogether. This was in reply to the tweet bitching about people wanting darker actresses for a white character hence reverse racism. Which is idiotic because Iris West was a character originally created in the 1950's, when black people didn't even have Civil Rights. If making a black Barry Allen would have been incredibly controversial in the 50's, having a black Iris West date a white Barry Allen would have been even more dangerous as interracial marriages were illegal at the time. Iris West couldn't have been ANYTHING but white in the 50's because POC's were still regarded as subhuman in the time period. So now allowing for more options that weren't granted before is racism all of a sudden?

The inter-minority racism thing certainly needs to be also discussed, but it isn't 100% certain yet that Kiersey Clemons has gotten the role (there are two white women also rumored to be running as well). Regular racists are jumping into the conversation about inter-racism and muddling the issue, with an aim to ensure Clemons loses out on the role. And if she doesn't get the role thanks to this noise and loses out to FUCKING RITA ORA of all people...

*Admittedly chances are slim of her losing out just because of this though.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2

I think Warners allowing different versions of its DC characters will help decrease the screams of racism, since they allowed Iris West to be black in the Flash tv show. There is less pressure to change her race in the movie, but this really shouldn't be an issue in the first pace.

There will certainly be more comparisons if they picked Kiersey Clemons, fans will debate which did a better job if they are playing the same character, Clemons or Candice Patton from the Flash tv show.

Warners was fine with a half Dutch and half Asian playing Lana Lang in Smallville, so they have been cool with changing race of their characters since 2001. Pete was also changed to black, but he didn't stick around long. I don't know if fans cared when that show started.

Edited by Mojoguy

16 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Warners was fine with a half Dutch and half Asian playing Lana Lang in Smallville, so they have been cool with changing race of their characters since 2001. 

DC has been/allowed colorblind casting since the late 60's, which is incredibly cool of them:

250eb6349d66c11aa185b4a97ec6b628.jpg

It's interesting that during this so called "PC era", the protests against colorblind casting are at an all time high. I don't think Eartha Kitt, Billy Dee Williams in Batman '89, Dean Cain in Adventures of Lois & Clark, Kristin Kreuk in Smallville and even the animated Lex Luthor in the 90's received a quarter of the oppositions POC actors being considered for traditionally white roles get today.  

*Unless they did and I was too young in the 90's and early 00's to be aware.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

DC has been/allowed colorblind casting since the late 60's, which is incredibly cool of them:

250eb6349d66c11aa185b4a97ec6b628.jpg

It's interesting that during this so called "PC era", the protests against colorblind casting are at an all time high. I don't think Eartha Kitt, Billy Dee Williams in Batman '89, Dean Cain in Adventures of Lois & Clark, Kristin Kreuk in Smallville and even the animated Lex Luthor in the 90's received a quarter of the oppositions POC actors being considered for traditionally white roles get today.  

*Unless they did and I was too young in the 90's and early 00's to be aware.

The black Lex is the best version outside of the comics. Clancy Brown nailed the characterization.

• Like 1

Smallville is one of those shows I every so often think about going back and finishing to see what happened.  Somewhere in season 7 I missed an episode and just never went back. 

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Smallville is one of those shows I every so often think about going back and finishing to see what happened.  Somewhere in season 7 I missed an episode and just never went back. 

That's pretty much my experience with it as well. I finished season 6, I was looking forward to season 7 and then I just never got around to it for some reason.