Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

These are some notes from Justin Kroll from when he did a podcast last week. 

Around 3:40, he says both Jon Berg and Geoff Johns "took a backseat" after Rick left, that they were less involved with this new script and director hunt.

At 4:58 he notes John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein's strong relationship with Toby Emmerich, and says their productions are known for going smoothly. Take a listen, he stutters a good bit trying to find the words. "their productions go smoothly. You know, sometimes the films aren't the greatest but they, they... And, but, that's... In a film like this they just want to get the, like, you know, it all depends." He goes on to mention that they wrote Homecoming and almost landed the job to direct it as well.

Around 5:50 he says there is no slotted date for FLASHPOINT. He says "Now that they have the directors this thing will be in production by Summer." The host asks if that means a 2019 date and Kroll responds "Whenever they want it. The thing is there's no rush." 

In regards to the tone of the film Kroll invokes Iron Man, "it has its dark moments but Downey still brings the lightness, they (DC) want that as well." 

Around 9:40 Kroll starts talking the Ben side of the story. He says that he almost ran a story (on Thursday) that Ben was the top choice to direct Flashpoint but his sources told him to hold off as Ben as on the fence and WB was still holding meetings. He explains the rationale of Ben considering directing Flashpoint, saying it is potentially his last film as Batman (he does not confirm one way or another on this, just notes the rumor) and also points out that since Batman isn't a major part of the story it would be easier for Ben to direct and act in the film as compared to The Batman. 

At 10:20 he says that on the following Tuesday people on both WB's side and Ben's side told him that Ben passed. Kroll then says it isn't clear how close the deal was, "he could've also just called him up, like, 'Toby you should probably move on', when you do that it doesn't necessarily mean you were offered." He goes on to say that for Ben WB was trying to woo him into directing Flashpoint whereas Daley and Goldstein were trying to win WB over. "That's just how it goes." 

At 22:49, asked about what he's hearing regarding how long Ben stays Kroll responds "To be fair, I honestly don't know. I've talked to people... I will say... People at the agencies repped by... still [feel] it's his. Still are under that impression. They've given me no sense that he is-" Host leads, So if he does walk away, that will be Ben's choice rather than Warners going... Kroll: "Yes. And it's not like... like Matt Reeves is going to cut the cord here. He came in after the fact, not before the fact."

In between minutes 10 and 23 he also goes off on Frosty from Collider, if you're interested.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Around 3:40, he says both Jon Berg and Geoff Johns "took a backseat" after Rick left, that they were less involved with this new script and director hunt.

At 4:58 he notes John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein's strong relationship with Toby Emmerich, and says their productions are known for going smoothly. Take a listen, he stutters a good bit trying to find the words. "their productions go smoothly. You know, sometimes the films aren't the greatest but they, they... And, but, that's... In a film like this they just want to get the, like, you know, it all depends." He goes on to mention that they wrote Homecoming and almost landed the job to direct it as well.

Around 5:50 he says there is no slotted date for FLASHPOINT. He says "Now that they have the directors this thing will be in production by Summer." The host asks if that means a 2019 date and Kroll responds "Whenever they want it. The thing is there's no rush." 

In regards to the tone of the film Kroll invokes Iron Man, "it has its dark moments but Downey still brings the lightness, they (DC) want that as well." 

Around 9:40 Kroll starts talking the Ben side of the story. He says that he almost ran a story (on Thursday) that Ben was the top choice to direct Flashpoint but his sources told him to hold off as Ben as on the fence and WB was still holding meetings. He explains the rationale of Ben considering directing Flashpoint, saying it is potentially his last film as Batman (he does not confirm one way or another on this, just notes the rumor) and also points out that since Batman isn't a major part of the story it would be easier for Ben to direct and act in the film as compared to The Batman. 

At 10:20 he says that on the following Tuesday people on both WB's side and Ben's side told him that Ben passed. Kroll then says it isn't clear how close the deal was, "he could've also just called him up, like, 'Toby you should probably move on', when you do that it doesn't necessarily mean you were offered." He goes on to say that for Ben WB was trying to woo him into directing Flashpoint whereas Daley and Goldstein were trying to win WB over. "That's just how it goes." 

At 22:49, asked about what he's hearing regarding how long Ben stays Kroll responds "To be fair, I honestly don't know. I've talked to people... I will say... People at the agencies repped by... still [feel] it's his. Still are under that impression. They've given me no sense that he is-" Host leads, So if he does walk away, that will be Ben's choice rather than Warners going... Kroll: "Yes. And it's not like... like Matt Reeves is going to cut the cord here. He came in after the fact, not before the fact."

In between minutes 10 and 23 he also goes off on Frosty from Collider, if you're interested.

Interesting stuff. I just hope things go smoothly from here on.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cax16 said:

• Like 1

That cinematographer would be an exciting choice. Say what you will about the 2017 Ghost in the Shell, but there was some beautiful imagery, and the film as a whole felt fast and frenetic in many parts, something that would lend very well to scenes in a Flash film.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, slambros said:

That cinematographer would be an exciting choice. Say what you will about the 2017 Ghost in the Shell, but there was some beautiful imagery, and the film as a whole felt fast and frenetic in many parts, something that would lend very well to scenes in a Flash film.

Hall's work on Hot Fuzz was great as well, some really gorgeous shots in that film. His style could fit a Flash movie quite well. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, StevenG said:

Is this really going to feature Gal Gadot?

At one point it was going to be like "Captain America:Civil War" with most the DC heros  showing up, making it an Justice League film in all but name..but what happened with JL,I think,has killed that idea. Maybe a couple of short  guest appreances,but nothing major.