Eric Prime

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

Analyzing Tenet’s opening weekend under the present conditions feels like a fool’s errand, but I think it’s a good number all things considered. A not insignificant number of theaters still haven’t reopened and even for the ones that have, there’s still some question as to just how many prospective moviegoers are ready to come back at this stage. As such, with nothing but the scraps we’ve had for the last six months as a point of comparison, a $20 million weekend looks good.

As for the question of what could have been: my far-range expectations pre-COVID was a domestic run in about the same range as Interstellar and Dunkirk.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 3

With the second wave growing in Europe And US clearly not ready for Big movies, i think Tenet could very well be released by November on digital. Despite that, it will probably pass 300M, all things considered, could be worse. They can recover the rest of the money they spent later with VOD, physicals, TV and streaming.

But maybe it’s better delay all the big movies to next year and release all the smaller this year to get something for theaters to show and have less trouble with calendars. 

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

that’s not what I said. 

you said instead of delaying they carried on so they could hide behind covid.  By that measure you’re saying that they chose to make less money than releasing it without Covid. 

Yes, I think they did. There is no logical reason to release the movie right now. 

6 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

Man this hurts to see, no matter what you thought about the film I think everyone was hoping for some solid numbers to show the North American market is getting back on track but it's clearly not time for it.

It's doing fairly decent numbers internationally so I think the cause is mostly down to the situation in America right now. 

I expect a lot of announcements this coming week of blockbusters being pushed back. 

you’re probably right, but I hope not. 

They have to weigh up whether America is the be all and end all as to whether the world gets a Hollywood movie or not. 
The rest of the world’s cinemas and everything attached to them, desperate for consistent new product. Proved that they can make good money. Yet because America isn’t quite there yet, don’t let them have anything. 

That is the reality they’re faced with.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yes, I think they did. There is no logical reason to release the movie right now. 

in the states, 100% agree. 

internationally - it’s making good money. 

like I’ve just said....we are in a reality now where they have to decide whether releasing a film when America is ready is more important, to spite their international exhibitors.  

not wishing to argue btw - we’re all trying to process what might happen going forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Because choose to make less money is very logical, right? Lol.

Nolan wants to release to help the theaters, he always fight for them, so there’s nothing really new here.

WB let him do it because Nolan is a big brand for them and it’s better than make him angry and possibly find another studio. And also to test the market, they need to know How a big movie will perform because they still have 2 big movies slated for next months, Tenet performance will help them and the industry to calculate their next steps.

4 minutes ago, Julian1410 said:

it’s quite frustrating that now the international people(me included) likely will have to wait longer for movies even though their cinema going is getting back on track only because America is not quite there yet.  

this is why I'm hoping for mulan's success in D+, so other films can join it.

and I can see them on theater.. lol

• ...wtf 1

18 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Aaron Taylor Johnson is the kiss of death. I knew the moment he was announced, that the movie won't be that great. Some actors just signal bad trouble. Not saying he brought corona to us lol, but Tenet is in trouble. It was a sign!

Oh wow. 

Having already seen the film, I did not realize that character was played by Aaron until you just said this! He looks so different from his Kick-Ass days!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

in the states, 100% agree. 

internationally - it’s making good money. 

like I’ve just said....we are in a reality now where they have to decide whether releasing a film when America is ready is more important, to spite their international exhibitors.  

not wishing to argue btw - we’re all trying to process what might happen going forward. 

I think for franchise movies with a strong built-in audience, they should go ahead and release the movies in other markets. 

40 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Not like you to write a negative post about Tenet! 

nothing wrong with the marketing. The pandemic and the US’s struggle to get it to any kind of state where enough people feel safe to return to cinemas is what this is all about - loud and clear.  Overseas results will tell you what might have happened had the US opened when it was safer. 

Any posting about it being the movie’s fault are pretty pathetic in my eyes. Like I said, loud and clear that you can’t open a blockbuster movie in America in the current climate.  Rest of the world? Absolutely as it stands. 

seeing as there’s zero sign of anything changing anytime soon, I still think the movies that are ready to go should just release overseas.  This ‘wait until next summer’ rhetoric is delusional in my opinion.  Who says things will be any different six months from now in the states? We’ve winter to come yet! 

“Oh but there’s a vaccine coming that’s going to fix everything”. Unproven. Nobody knows that. What’s the point in the studios waiting for something that might not happen until well into next year and beyond? 

There IS a vaccine coming. That is a fact. We just don't know for sure how soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think for franchise movies with a strong built-in audience, they should go ahead and release the movies in other markets. 

I think so too. 

The trades and WB are really trying to spin this with the fact NY/LA aren’t open yet etc. But with all those days of previews and it being on every screen going to make up for the reduced capacity - I don’t know...it’s lower than any of us anticipated.  Especially as it opened bigger than anticipated in Europe last weekend. 

of course they’re going to try and spin it. They need to be seen to be optimistic right now. Yet behind closed doors they’ll be wondering what to do next. 

12 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

But the 20m includes Canada’s OW last week and 3 full days of “sneaks” and a four-day OW.

Yes, this is what the real problem is. 

The fact of the matter is that Tenet probably made 10-12 million over the Fri/Sat/Sun period this weekend.
That is what is so concerning here.