Eric is Anxious

Nope | Jordan Peele | Keke Palmer, Daniel Kaluuya, Steven Yeun star | July 22, 2022

The rest of the summer is gonna be muted with no major competition aside from Bullet Train and maybe Beast. If this gets good reviews/WOM I can see it having really good legs even with an opening on the low end of expectations.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Absolutely nothing about these tweets sound remotely spoiler-ish, certainly not more so than their own trailer... just weird why they would hold reactions if people saw it last week already. 

Maybe just trying to avoid another Eternals situation? 

I remember there are requests about spoilers and everyone was careful but one single person didn't give a fuck and spoil the biggest surprise. 

Maybe they decided to hold just in case someone disrespect the anti-spoilers requests. Or they're expecting it would help the presales to have a push close to release. 

Some of the reactions are very crypted tho, maybe worrying about give too much, but a bit hard to know if the person like it or not lol. But still overall very positive.

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Maybe just trying to avoid another Eternals situation? 

I remember there are requests about spoilers and everyone was careful but one single person didn't give a fuck and spoil the biggest surprise. 

Maybe they decided to hold just in case someone disrespect the anti-spoilers requests. Or they're expecting it would help the presales to have a push close to release. 

Some of the reactions are very crypted tho, maybe worrying about give too much, but a bit hard to know if the person like it or not lol. But still overall very positive.

A test screening account on twitter has had the full synopsis up for weeks lmao. They could so easily have shut that down if they were worried about spoilers. 

The IMAX I frequent has sold only 26 tickets total across the four showings scheduled for Friday. The single showing on Thursday night has sold 31 tickets so far. I’m not sure the general public is aware this movie is opening this week.

8 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

Us was great. Just had a bad ending. Hope Nope seems to be a home run.

Opposite. I remember being left breathless by it. 

I appreciate Peele for his craftsmanship with populist instincts. That whole house invasion sequence, thrilling yet ending in a dark hilarious punchline….brilliant stuff. Snobs can have their elevated horror, I’m good with Flanagan, Wan, and Peele. 

• Like 1

Knives out and parasite contain huge big twist but they started their marketing way earlier and the spoiler leak seem manageable. I don’t get why universal keep this til so last minute when an original film should be worried more of the lack of buzz than spoiler. 

Now they only left with few days to build awareness and curiosity. No matter how good the legs afterwards, the box office will be sort of “bounded” by the opening, which is a direct consequences of the marketing.

You can add another person to the club that thought Us was great - entertaining, visually captivating, and rooted in a terrific performance from Lupita Nyong’o, who deserved an Oscar nomination.

Get Out and Us were different kinds of films, and Nope sounds no different. Hopefully the social media reactions are a sign of good things.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 9

I thought US was great, the craftsmanship on display is top notch + Lupita's stellar double performance. That fight set to an orchestral 'Got 5 On It' intercut with the ballet is just killer.

I think your milage depends how much you get hung up on the world building aspects. 

Reading the reactions this is gonna be divisive too. When they write things like "but you need to accept.. to enjoy" "you need to go to the theater thinking this is not...but this is..." it's big Red flag. 

Edited by vale9001