Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

7 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

Of course not. But just imagine only 10% of people who watched the movie illegally online would go to cinema. That would make a huge difference.

Usually our cinema owners and managers believed that people who watch movie for free online mostly would not go to cinema anyway.  At least partially true. With so many hybride release and perfect HD copies on the opening weekend that doesn't work anymore, Millions of regular moviegoers all over the world are watching now movies online for free. And it will not be an easy job to change their habits. 

I believe the movie theater  industry is done, when you start getting to 1.5 month window, seems like a waste of time, the studios know there is more money in streaming, once a streaming service reaches 100,000,000 subs , you replace your worldwide movie theater income, my only question is when does congress step in and require streaming services to report daily streaming numbers

Edited by Gokira2012

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Jungle Cruise still holding well after dropping only 55% last weekend?

Think the WB/HBO is just brutalizing second weekends. SJ2 had a brutal drop for a family film from a $31M OW and, now, if what we're hearing is true, TSS too. These movies are meeting so much demand between opening weekend rush, streaming through HBO and piracy that no matter how well received that they plummet weekend two even after soft opening weekends. Sucks.

I will say anecdotally, that aside from myself and my brother, the other dozen+ people I know that caught TSS in theater or streaming did not like it... Which surprised me. Is the Audience Score still dropping at RT?

Oddly it's not listed in the box office on the front page  - Dachra is wrongly listed as #1 -  you have to search for it

Current Audience Score: 83% (verified) / 79% (non verified)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_suicide_squad

23 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

I believe the movie theater  industry is done, when you start getting to 1.5 month window, seems like a waste of time, the studios know there is more money in streaming, once a streaming service reaches 100,000,000 subs , you replace your worldwide movie theater income, my only question is when does congress step in and require streaming services to report daily streaming numbers

why replace it when it can be in addition? 

They can have huge income from streaming AND movies in theaters.  

have to say I find it STAGGERING that you believe it’s done when we’re in the middle of a pandemic with movies being delayed and day and date/piracy tearing into people going to see what is out there. 

People enjoy going to the movies. Leaving the house. Going out with friends. Experiencing a movie how it’s meant to be seen. It will never be done just because the box office is down right now due to serious mitigating circumstances. 

Life will go back to normal eventually, and those that want to stay stuck inside for the rest of their lives with their tv can crack on. The rest of us will go and enjoy ourselves seeing movies they’ll have to wait 8 weeks for. 

you wouldn’t be short on $AMC per chance? Lol

Edited by wildphantom
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

why not just watch Donnie Yen's new work

Because I have to drive 100 miles to see it into COVID Mass  🥺

(I might go mid week when there less chance of a crowd)

As for Simu, I am actually going to remember something @Plain Old Tele said: making movies is hard; even bad ones. As someone who does follow his Twitter, he is clearly so excited and so proud of this movie. He undoubtably worked really hard on it. It seems perfectly reasonable to be a little peeved when someone tries to undermine that. 

• Like 5

The reasons for films dropping hard in week 2 are multiple, not one thing.

First, there are only so many people willing to go see movies in the theaters right now due to a pandemic. For alot of these movies there are burning alot of that demand off in week 1. 

Second, streaming gives customers more choice into when and where they watch it. I think WB is in the worst position here since they have been giving the movie away for free. At least Disney is doing PA which helps recover some revenue.

WOM still matters. While the critic rating for TSS is high, the audience scores are good but not great (same with BW). TSS had high initial reactions but that is basically the fan boys/girls. As more GA types saw it the ratings went down a fair bit, so it clearly is not liked by the GA as much as it is by the true fans. JC was not a hit for critics but it is for GA where it is one of the more highly rated films of the summer, so it shouldn't be surprising that its legs are strong while TSS and BW are less so.

The Theater business is not dying, but it is evolving. It is not going to be the same as it was in 2019. At the very least we are likely headed to shorter release windows, which will reduce the theaterical revenue for a film. But that makes sense from a company standpoint as the entertainment companies make more money from a film in its first few weeks than later on in a run. We will have to wait and see if they stick with the day and date strategy at all. Do they do it for only some movies? etc.

We are in a different time right now and it is unfair to compare movie performances now to 2019 and before. The environment is just too different.

• Like 4

The rest of the holdovers, Old is having some good hold. 

- (-) Old Universal $700,000 +84% -42% 2,631 $266 $41,257,640 22
- (-) Stillwater Focus Features $370,000 +51% -52% 2,179 $170 $11,612,695 15
- (-) The Green Knight A24 $343,578 +18% -55% 1,784 $193 $13,918,433 15
- (-) Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins Paramount Pi… $160,000 +9% -65% 1,035 $155 $27,064,205 22
- (-) The Boss Baby: Family Bus… Universal $130,000 +34% -36% 1,184 $110 $55,766,295 43
- (-) F9: The Fast Saga Universal $130,000 +41% -60% 1,160 $112 $171,679,065 50
- (-) The Forever Purge Universal $68,000 +101% -56% 516 $132 $44,055,280 43
- (-) A Quiet Place: Part II Paramount Pi… $55,000 +61% -44% 419 $131 $159,668,039 78
- (-) Roadrunner: A Film About … Focus Features $19,000 -13% -57% 126 $151 $5,086,960 29