Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (10/22-24) | Dune 41M OW. French Dispatch 1.35M. Timothee can't be stopped!

A good start for Dune though the high IMAX number is definitely showing how much PLFs are helping keep the movie business afloat at the moment. Venom had a 65% premium format percentage and this will likely be even higher given all the "see it on the biggest screen possible" hype.

11 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Hopefully it can do above $40m for the weekend....

Halloween Kills did $49.4m off a $4.85m preview, so $40m should be safe unless it’s very frontloaded. Edit: woops, just seen Blade Runner did $32.7m off $4m previews. 

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Disney had no interest in Ron as Locksmith Animation has moved to WB.

I’m surprised they advertised it so heavily then! 

Edited by Krissykins

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Great, should do high 30 - low 40.

A great opening and there's no way to make this look bad, considering WB stupid strategies this year.

let’s not go crazy here. This is still an expensive film in terms of budget and marketing. At best it should eke out a profit 

This is as much of a manufactured blockbuster as you can get in 2021 w/ all the star power and marketing. No same day digital and this probably hits $50-60m opening weekend? meh.

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Great, should do high 30 - low 40.

A great opening and there's no way to make this look bad, considering WB stupid strategies this year.

You can't praise someone for achieving something totally within reasonable range because of that person own wrongdoing . 5.1m is a solid number but nowhere near great and we shouldn't claim this is a great number because of HBO max when it is HBO max that causing all these flub in the first place.

This is like praising a kid for merely passing the exam when it is the his or her own laziness that bring him the score. 

The opening is likely going to end up being not far off from what it would have opened to in its original week-before-Christmas-2020 spot (pre-COVID, of course). Staying power over the long holiday stretch that would've followed would be much stronger compared to what it will be now though.

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

You can't praise someone for achieving something totally within reasonable range because of that person own wrongdoing . 5.1m is a solid number but nowhere near great and we shouldn't claim this is a great number because of HBO max when it is HBO max that causing all these flub in the first place.

This is like praising a kid for merely passing the exam when it is the his or her own laziness that bring him the score. 

People claim this would be a colossal bomb for years without any significant reason and we have to accept. Now it's possible to do over 40M despite the pandemic and streaming release and we can't celebrate it's success?

I'm not even disagreeing with you, i know it didn't reach it's full potential, i know HBO Max is the one to blame. At the same time we can't do nothing about that, only celebrate that despite all this it's pulling great numbers (when you consider the situation).

• Like 4

Just now, Nikostar said:

It’s decent to solid but definitely not great.

Considering WB strategy, it's written there.

I mean, i don't know what else i can say. 5,1M alone isn't great indeed, but in a context where not only we still under a pandemic but the movie leaked in high quality early this week and was available for free on HBO Max the exact minute it hit theaters to me is great.

The problem here will be legs. In a pre-pandemic world it would probably have Mad Max style legs. In this world, with a raging pandemic, a day and date release and copies floating online since last Sunday, it will likely end under 100M even with a 40M+ OW.

Edited by CJ #BringBackSadAffleck