Eric Prime

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

JW and FK have averaged $16.9M in previews, and there’s like a 90% chance JWD falls in middle of that $15.3-$18.5M range 

Yes, if i had to guess and looking at the tracking thread, 17 - 17,5M will probably be the number.

Going by that, giving it a lower preview-to-OW multi than FK (that had 9,67, lets give this an 8), we would get a 136 - 140M OW

Not a complete disaster, but ... not that good either imo.

The internet actually has a strong hatred for the JW franchise, believing them to represent what is wrong with cinema. Go

to any news or trailer for Dominion on Reddit. The comments are 99% negative 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

The internet actually has a strong hatred for the JW franchise, believing them to represent what is wrong with cinema. Go

Yes, but that is nothing new tbh. Best to just ignore it. There are still safe heavens for us JP fans to go to, especially on some YouTube channels, theres quite a positive community of fans.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yes, if i had to guess and looking at the tracking thread, 17 - 17,5M will probably be the number.

Going by that, giving it a lower preview-to-OW multi than FK (that had 9,67, lets give this an 8), we would get a 136 - 140M OW

Not a complete disaster, but ... not that good either imo.

Nah, I think that IM is too low. May not get all the way to 9x, but 8.5x or more (unless WOM really drags it down Sat & Sun). I’ll take the over vs FK, but perhaps by not all that much 

Part of being a walk-up heavy franchise also means not a super inflated Thursday. F9 almost got a 10x on this weekend last year, granted with a 7pm Thur start, but it’s not like JWD matinees were packed like MCU, and Fri/Thu sales ratios were decent 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Notice how you don't rationalize your conclusion or rebut any of the points

It doesn't matter because any unmoderated, unfiltered, and random polling opened to anyone on planet Earth is a completely useless metric. It tells us nothing. There's no basis for it scientifically. It holds no value as a tool for anything.

We have three easily accessible providers offering audience insight from audiences that actually saw the movie they're being asked about. Useful damn-near scientific data. Trying to gain insight from unverified audience scores is like ignoring polling from Pew and YouGov to discuss a random vote you saw on Reddit. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, John Marston said:

That all started thanks to allegations of sexism lobbied against the film by Devin Faraci and Joss Whedon.

Oh. The. IRONY!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

It doesn't matter because any unmoderated, unfiltered, and random polling opened to anyone on planet Earth is a completely useless metric. It tells us nothing. There's no basis for it scientifically. It holds no value as a tool for anything.

We have three easily accessible providers offering audience insight from audiences that actually saw the movie they're being asked about. Useful damn-near scientific data. Trying to gain insight from unverified audience scores is like ignoring polling from Pew and YouGov to discuss a random vote you saw on Reddit. 

The verified audience score isn't "damn near scientific" I'd argue that's Cinemascore and Postrak. The verified score is only of those that bought tickets through Fandango and that has its own biases.

4 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

That all started thanks to allegations of sexism lobbied against the film by Devin Faraci and Joss Whedon.

Oh. The. IRONY!

I wasn't really part of "the internet" back in like 2015, but I'm guessing the arguments were heels and the baby sitter.

4 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

It made it

OH GOD YES ITS A GOOD NUMBER

1 minute ago, BruiseCruise said:

Deadline says there were other screenings before thursday

Oh.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/jurassic-world-dominion-box-office-1235042811/

Universal/Amblin’s Jurassic World Dominion earned $18M in previews, but that’s not just from 4PM showtimes yesterday, but also other stunt previews earlier this week. 

Wait...what stunt previews?

8 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

It made it

Oh $18m is solid then.

Maybe $140m+ is on the table. 

Deadline say the majority came from last night. I wasn’t aware of any other screenings so maybe it was a very small number, and certainly not advertised. 

Edited by Krissykins

That JWD number seems a tad underwhelming especially compared to the older-skewing TGM which grossed more in its previews two weeks ago. Granted, JWD didn't have that one extra primetime PLF showing earlier in the week; but it's still slightly embarrassing for a mega-franchise.