Eric is Anxious

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

4 minutes ago, Blankments said:

They would’ve done bigger business than lightyear as comedy animation always does bigger than action/sci-fi animation. Also they would’ve done bigger since like people wouldn’t be trained to expect it on Disney+ for free lol

Feels like Disney was genuinely confused about how to market Lightyear. The premise should have been stated in the trailers from the start - and the movie itself not feeling like a 1995 sci-fi movie didn't help. They literally tried everything to sell the movie and there were no buyers. 

Wonder if it started life as a Lightyear movie or if there was a space adventure movie pitched by someone which was reworked into Lightyear.

• Like 5

*wakes up*

*sees the frankly silly number*

CHAPEK'S LAW IS REAL Y'ALL!!!!!! :ohmygod:

Spoiler

Reminder:  

Chapek's Law:  Whatever can go wrong will go wrong for Disney Animated films... at the domestic box office.

Getting your ass handed to you by a bunch of yellow goobers (and cutting out whatever hope you had for late legs in the process) certainly qualifies in my book. :lol: 

• Like 9

Come to think of it, Disney has been defeated by Universal for their animation for almost every comparable releases.

Pre-wide vaccine era: Croods 2 (58.6m) vs Raya (54.7m)

Year-end 2021: Encanto (96m) vs Sing 2(162.7m)

Spring 2022: Turning Red (0) vs TBG (~97m)

Summer 2022 : LY vs Minion 2 (Minion 2 will beat LY's total in just 4 days)  

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Feels like Disney was genuinely confused about how to market Lightyear. The premise should have been stated in the trailers from the start - and the movie itself not feeling like a 1995 sci-fi movie didn't help. They literally tried everything to sell the movie and there were no buyers. 

Wonder if it started life as a Lightyear movie or if there was a space adventure movie pitched by someone which was reworked into Lightyear.

Anecdotal evidence, but I saw it with my summer camp and literally everyone, kids and counselors, were confused why the green aliens from toy story weren’t in it. Even as what it’s meant to be, a movie that would’ve made Andy wanna go out and buy a buzz toy, it fails because it really lacks any level of fun factor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

I predicted LY and Minion 2 would both do $225-250m each for a $450m-$500m combined. After all, the total still correct but the split within is terribly wrong. 

Eh, still think you’re going to wind up short on the combined total. At best Minions gets to a ~3x, and LY isn’t going to make up the slack 

Edited by M37

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Come to think of it, Disney has been defeated by Universal for their animation for almost every comparable releases.

It will happen again this winter

29 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Summer 2013: DM2 > Monsters University

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

It's happening

Eh. I think Minions using the DM3 multiplier of a 100M OW as I think both had 4 days, it’d tap out at 360Mish. I can still see Thor over it, especially when Minions faces a wide family film every two weeks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Eh. I think Minions using the DM3 multiplier of a 100M OW as I think both had 4 days, it’d tap out at 360Mish. I can still see Thor over it, especially when Minions faces a wide family film every two weeks.

This reminds me of when @Plain Old Tele was confident that Secret Life of Pets wouldn't hit 300M AFTER it opened to 104M OW. Not comparable to his Untitled Cyber thriller in China call though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

Minions 😲

R.I.P to that Superman's dog. 

Well, Super Pets will most likely perform like Bad Guys: Small opening but great legs due to no competition after it opens.