Eric the Minion

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

or maybe they just didn't like previews regardless of sexual orientation? When a movie flops, it's always a combo of reasons rather than just 1. It's hard to imagine anyone going "this looks so good but gay character so I'll pass". most likely they just didn't like the whole package.

Yes it's a combo of reasons but i've seen for days strong online attacks and boycotts against this movie. 

Not every flop is just a case of "people didn't like the marketing", negative buzz surround a movie is also a type of marketing against it. 

I'm not saying the movie would be a huge success, the marketing itself was weak and uninspired. I'm not saying the Cinemascore would be an A+, the movie does looks bland. 

But none of this changes the fact that this is a family movie and it's not made for "gay people", and still there is a lot of families advocating against it because of a gay character, so like i said, they should be blamed for that because the results would be better if it wasn't for this stupid drama, maybe not radically better, but still better.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean that's kinda the question... Having a gay character in a movie shouldn't be read as "made for X audience".

This is a kids movie, it's made for families. If a portion of this group is having a problem with the movie because of a gay character, it's their problem and they should be blamed because that's nonsense.

Yes but when the movie is bad and a good chunk of the marketing is about how this has 'Disney's first openly gay teen' it comes across as Disney cares more about checking off boxes than actually making a good movie. And seeing as this is a kids movie, for young kids, making the big selling point something literally no child is going to care about because the idea of romance is a decade off for them without making sure the movie itself is entertaining enough to hold their attention span just doesn't work.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes it's a combo of reasons but i've seen for days strong online attacks and boycotts against this movie. 

Not every flop is just a case of "people didn't like the marketing", negative buzz surround a movie is also a type of marketing against it. 

I'm not saying the movie would be a huge success, the marketing itself was weak and uninspired. I'm not saying the Cinemascore would be an A+, the movie does looks bland. 

But none of this changes the fact that this is a family movie and it's not made for "gay people", and still there is a lot of families advocating against it because of a gay character, so like i said, they should be blamed for that because the results would be better if it wasn't for this stupid drama, maybe not radically better, but still better.

It's made for allies, supporters, people who generally don't have prejudice yet they didn't flock to it either so uninspired and weak marketing is definitely the main problem. As is that the movie itself apparently isn't better hence shoddy CS.

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It's made for allies, supporters, people who generally don't have prejudice yet they didn't flock to it either so uninspired and weak marketing is definitely the main problem. As is that the movie itself apparently isn't better hence shoddy CS.

Okay.

• Like 1

So anyone know whats the deal with strang world's verified score?

had never seen such type of audience scores for a fresh movie meant for the general audience

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

had never seen such type of audience scores for a fresh movie meant for the general audience

Homophobia. Plain and simple. Most conservative families went in not knowing about the main guy's son's orientation. They must've been disgusted when they found out, hence the awful audience score. Even the verified scores aren't completely foulproof anymore.

Speaking of Strange World, the 5-day number might actually end up below $20M once all is said and done according to @charlie Jatinder. That would be a horrendous, studio-ending result. There will definitely be consequences for the main animation studio. I have a hunch Jennifer Lee won't be there for very long.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Its the combination of being a poorly made movie and legit bigotry from surprised targeted audience. The last 3 pages have debated the whys quite a bit and its definitely part bias and apparently a lot of poor filmmaking. Target demographic here with my 4 kids in the right age who love scifi and nobody here wanted to see it 🤷‍♂️ 

**edit

It cannot be all bigotry. The B cinemascore points to a wider issue and even IF we try ti weigh the bigotry at best you move the score up one point to a B+, which is again horrendous for an animated film. 

Edited by narniadis
  • Like 2

To be fair, Strange World isn't the only animated movie to ever get a not-quite-glowing CS grade. Rango got a C+ (which is why CS should be discarded because that's an A-grade movie right there) and that was the actual Animated Feature Oscar winner for that year.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, Strange World isn't the only animated movie to ever get a not-quite-glowing CS grade. Rango got a C+ (which is why CS should be discarded because that's an A-grade movie right there) and that was the actual Animated Feature Oscar winner for that year.

Wait...what? Rango got a C+? That's pretty shocking, the fuck?

6 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Wait...what? Rango got a C+? That's pretty shocking, the fuck?

I guess a lot of families weren't expecting something that out there for what was sold as a Johnny Depp animated vehicle. To that I say forget about them! Movie's a masterpiece.

"Is this Heaven?"

"If it were, we'd be eatin' Pop-Tarts with Kim Novak."

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2