Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

17 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

We only have one IMAX here with this kind of laser technology and it's like 3 hours away from me. 🙄

I wonder how different is it from 'just' an IMAX screen?

I have no idea to be honest lol, I think it’s clearer. It’s a brand new screen, about 2 months old. 

Trailers before the film in the UK if anyone is interested:

Oppenheimer (new one - it’s really loud)

Ant Man and the Wasp 

Mission Impossible 

Dungeons and Dragons

Creed III (a really obnoxious egotistical trailer with the actor bigging himself up, very cringe) 

John Wick 4

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

20 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I'd point and call out the people who assumed this movie would set records and stuff, but I too took it for granted that this would be a $2B or close to it mega hit. 

This turn of events is quite astonishing, especially after international presales started.

We got so brainwashed worn out by blinded influenced by the years of 3b to 4b predictions, that the 2b to 2.5b predictions seemed downright reasonable by comparison! :o

8 minutes ago, Cap said:

There was a massive snowstorm on the east coast on Avatar's OW as well.

HISTORY IS REPEATING!!!!  :ohmygod:

(seriously though — there's a reason why I am consistently mentioning about waiting for the Sat number AND the number on Dec 26 before really firming up my thoughts about how this is gonna do when all is said and done, even if the pie-in-the-sky predicts are fairly dead in the water)

• Astonished 1

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You might catch shit, but you shouldn't because you're right on literally every point, IMO.

(including the implied point about legs thanks to weather and sports and lack of competition)

Hell, if I were a mod*, I'd sticky the post and make it a Featured Comment, that's how good I think it is. 👍

* Private-ish in-joke between me and Cap. 😛

@Cap You have to use Star Wars quotes to get him….

”Join me and together we can rule the gala….forum as shills and sycophants.” 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Trailers before the film in the UK if anyone is interested:

Oppenheimer (new one - it’s really loud)

Ant Man and the Wasp 

Mission Impossible 

Dungeons and Dragons

Creed III (a really obnoxious egotistical trailer with the actor bigging himself up, very cringe) 

John Wick 4

My Cineworld seemingly forgot to put any ads or trailers on my showing, we got 3 Cineworld ads in a row, the IMAX ident and then straight into the film. Looks like somebody made a goof while programming it, lol.

• Like 1

Yeah I have to say some of the tracking that was suggesting in the 200 ow range seemed hard to believe, and I guess that’s because it wasn’t going to happen.

That said, I feel like I’ve seen a ton of sentiment from people I know and online that they have it on their radar and are going to see it, but in no way felt like they HAD to be there on OW. I also think pretty much all of the GA is aware that they should see it in theaters or why even bother. So again, I’d doubt the multi at your own peril. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnokesLegs said:

My Cineworld seemingly forgot to put any ads or trailers on my showing, we got 3 Cineworld ads in a row, the IMAX ident and then straight into the film. Looks like somebody made a goof while programming it, lol.

Damn you got lucky. We had 12 minutes of adverts and a further 23 minutes (yes TWENTY THREE) of trailers... a full 35 minutes before the film even started...

• Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Jesus how did you guys get to 52 pages so quick

We’re at 52 pages and the Friday number is in the 50s? C’mon, folks, let’s add another 80 pages by Saturday night!!! 

17 minutes ago, Cap said:

I know I’m going to get shit for this, but eh, LFG.

We are a box office forum. We talk about Avatar excessively because it’s the biggest box office film of all time.  Most of the other places on The Internet TM do not. For the General Audience, this is a sequel to that cool movie from 12 years ago. To Nerd Culture, it’s the sequel to the movie they love to mock and meme. And James Cameron did most of his best work in the 1980’s, which is like asking Gen Z to marathon TCM. There isn’t a massive sleeping giant fandom out there ready to show up. 

Know why the MCU is so popular? Despite the “bad VFXs” and “stupid quips” and “bad action” and “bad scripts” and “amusement park vibes?” Because people **love** those characters. I would murder for Steve Rogers. 

Just look at Dr. Strange. They made Wanda the villain, and her Stans still showed up because it was Wanda! (And to take notes for their meta about how Marvel Is Evil and Hates Wanda). 

Which means, you HAVE to reintroduce the characters. Who are the blue people? Which one is Zoe Saldana? What was the plot to the first one?  Where were the BTS featurettes playing before EVERY movie during those commercials/info news stuff they run? Where was the “Welcome Back to Pandora” ABC special? 

Moreover, you need to sell me on the 3D. IronJimbo sent me a video when Cameron was talking about the steps they took to mitigate headaches and make the experience better. Why was that not IN THE ADS?!?

It wasn’t until last night I saw an ad that looked bad ass. Clear plot (the humans have returned and we need to go to our allies for help) and LOTS of action. I was like “Wow; that looks great. Maybe I should go—“

Why are we seeing that only on Thursday of Previews? Why was that not the second trailer? 

There is zero reason to have them mystery box Avatar. It’s it’s backfiring them. 

THAT SAID!!!

The ads have also been emphasizing seen it in a 3D PLF format. As Porthos said, there are not enough screens for everyone to do that opening weekend. There is still a lot of time for folks to go in December and January!! So it’s not like “oh no, it’s over, let’s play Nearer, My God, To Thee.”  It’s just a reason why this might open to lower than expected numbers. 

And when all else fails, blame the nor’easter and World Cup!

I've been trying explain this to people on here for the last year. 

The shift from spectacle driven blockbusters to character-driven ones is a huge thing that no one here is really talking about. 

The Marketing for this has been not good. It needed to start with teasers at NWH last year. 

The first film blew the roof off of hall h back in 09. Why wasn't it there? Why wasnt there an avatar day during the summer where you could drop a documentary on why it took 13 years?!

Some of this is on fox and Disney and some of it on James Cameron for not reaching out to other forms of media ( books, animated series, /anime. You have a deal with Ubisoft why didn't work with them to make games that help fill out the universe a decade ago?!)

Once again, as I said in the box office club I created, I could be wrong on this and it could be bigger than the 1st. But it's obvious to me the franchise has been mismanaged for various reasons for 13 years.

• Like 4