Eric Quinn

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

25 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The only thing baffling to me is how they'll be able to simply ignore Joseph Kosinski as director while giving so much love for the movie he made. 

Same goes for Dune last year.

I don’t think it’s all that surprising. Let’s be honest, Cruise was the ultimate mastermind on TGM. Kosinski was his vessel if anything. It’s the total opposite of Avatar 2, where Cameron was obviously the mastermind of it all, for better or worse. 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I could see RRR or All Quiet win over it. Both seem very much adored, especially RRR.

Actually RRR's Rajamouli may sneak into the Best director race after all. RRR is the only film so far I can sense the gain in momentum. Don't be surprised if this is one of the most nominated non-english film especially in craft category. 

I liked Flux Gourmet a lot this year too but I'm not sure many others did. I liked Guillermo's Pinocchio and Nope too. Tar was great but tough to recommend to anyone that isn't a hardcore film fan. I liked but didn't love EEAAO and TGM but wouldn't be adverse to either winning Best Picture. Either choice there if between is somewhat refreshing. Both were seen by a lot of people and that's the most talked about indie and the most talked about blockbuster from 2022.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t think it’s all that surprising. Let’s be honest, Cruise was the ultimate mastermind on TGM. Kosinski was his vessel if anything. It’s the total opposite of Avatar 2, where Cameron was obviously the mastermind of it all, for better or worse. 

AT least that's  wht it looks from the outside. Cruise and Mcq FTW. But let's give Kosinski his credit. he came up with the idea....he pitched the movie to Cruise. It's his baby imo. Cruise is such a force in entertainment business that he overshadows everything, but Kosinski deserves credit.

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

I guess i'm the only one that didn't like EEOAO. I had to finish it in two sittings. So annoying movie. Banshees FTW

It's an imaginative and out-of-the-box movie, but even then you can't dismiss how creative they were when they made the film, the behind the scenes of that really is something else. You see passion and love from all the crews.

Fablemans feels like The Irishman 2.0 at this point.

Nobody wants to fess up to themselves because of who the filmmaker is but the reality is that the enthusiasm is simply not there. The only way it's the 'frontrunner' is out of a weird form of politeness.

Ok I'll give people that maybe a few more people genuinely actually love Fablemans more than people genuinely loved Irishman (which was a minuscule number) but the numbers are surely very obviously not there given the name. A film like Banshees can do the box office it's doing an win, but not something directed by Spielberg. A name that big with those numbers is essentially (mild) audience rejection, not just lack of exposure.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Fablemans feels like The Irishman 2.0 at this point.

Nobody wants to fess up to themselves because of who the filmmaker is but the reality is that the enthusiasm is simply not there. The only way it's the 'frontrunner' is out of a weird form of politeness.

Ok I'll give people that maybe a few more people genuinely actually love Fablemans more than people genuinely loved Irishman (which was a minuscule number) but the numbers are surely very obviously not there given the name. A film like Banshees can do the box office it's doing an win, but not something directed by Spielberg. A name that big with those numbers is essentially (mild) audience rejection, not just lack of exposure.

Okay.

Fablemans would win only bc of it being an extremely weak year for Oscar bait, yet nonetheless the Academy can’t break from their mold of Oscar bait. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. 

Also, that’s such an irritating name for a movie. Nothing about “Fablemans” rolls off the tongue or looks good to read. 

• Knock It Off 2

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Actually RRR's Rajamouli may sneak into the Best director race after all. RRR is the only film so far I can sense the gain in momentum. Don't be surprised if this is one of the most nominated non-english film especially in craft category. 

Yeah. I had a great time with RRR but I definitely prefer some of his earlier  movies to it. But, fuck, that movie exploded on social media. It's Letterboxd score is incredible too. It's the really the first of his movies that's been pretty big stateside. Lots of momentum. Tons and tons people watched that on Netflix and then told all their friends to watch it too.

The best directing I've seen in anything this year is easily Decision To Leave... Story could've been a bit more that was far and away the most fun I'd had just watching and editing and directing in a movie this year. I wondered if Park might steal a Best Director nom but obviously not win the award.

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

fabelmans is so not winning best picture exactly the type of movie that gets hyped up as an easy favourite and falls short it happens every year and it's like, super obvious that's what's going to happen there.

when was the last time Spielberg actually made a crowd pleasing movie?

Count me among the "either Everything Everywhere or Top Gun is winning Best Picture" camp. Think they're going to go with movies that actually made an impact with both critics and audiences alike (something that didn't happen with a majority of this year's contenders) during this year of continued recovery.

55 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Avatar 2 winning Director or Picture would be like The Two Towers or Dune winning those. If they’re gonna do it might as well wait for the finale.

Wouldn’t Spielberg be winning Director anyway 

74ohpd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Best of the year that I've seen so far...

MV5BM2ZkZjMzNWMtMGY3Ny00YzA0LWIxODktYjY1

Exactly!!! 

Wonderful, stylistic, magnetic, sensual, heartbreaking masterpiece. 

I really still can't believe Wook manage to deliver The Handmaiden and Decision To Leave back to back 

• Like 1