Eric Lasagna

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

42 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Beauty & The Beast (2017) grossed $300,000,000 more than Aladdin did, so I’d say that and TLK were the monster hits of the three. 

We are taking about the remakes not the animated ones? Because as I argued in another thread, Alice is likely still the most successful of all of them. 5th highest grossing movie of all time at the time, likely made insane profit compared to its budget that I doubt the crazy VFX heavy Lion King even matched. 

• Like 1

Something I find interesting about this whole overseas audiences are racist discussion is the fact that The Bodyguard starring Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston was the 7th highest grossing film in the US in 1992, yet worldwide it was the 2nd highest grossing film of 1992 grossing $121.9 million domestically, and $410.9 million worldwide. Also this was before China was a huge power player at the box office

• Like 1

Hearing @Blankments story, it is kinda crazy to me to think about all these movies that we talk about each week come and go, but at the end of the day, many of these will be the movies that an entire generation of kids grow up with. It’s like when I was teaching last month and I used Inside Out and Coco as examples, and the kids would say things like “I grew up with that movie!”

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Something I find interesting about this whole overseas audiences are racist discussion is the fact that The Bodyguard starring Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston was the 7th highest grossing film in the US in 1992, yet worldwide it was the 2nd highest grossing film of 1992 grossing $121.9 million domestically, and $410.9 million worldwide. Also this was before China was a huge power player at the box office

Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner were both global superstars at the time. This was also part of the trend of the time where female-driven movies (Pretty Woman, Ghost) were putting up some of the biggest international numbers ever and high OS ratio relative to most other blockbusters.

Edited by Jiffy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, joselowe said:

Agree, Halle was perfect, but Zendaya is a black actress that is considered to not be a threat and safe because of her looks and being biracial. I def think this would have reached over $1 billion if Zendaya was in the lead.

When has Zendaya ever been the lead of a movie blockbuster? Always the protagonist's love interest only. 

• Like 1

I must have missed the movies starring Zendaya that were gigantic because of her name alone. I don't know where some of you guys are getting that she's some massive box office draw whether it be domestic or international.

And the international audience for the little mermaid is racist? If a film doesn't draw in an audience does that automatically mean it's racist because the lead actor is black? Like I truly don't understand this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

$38-40m Friday including previews, apologies if someone already shared this. 

That seems like a perfectly normal number to me. Especially since it's Memorial weekend.

41 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

TLM won't do the billion because the animation movie wasn't so popular like Aladdin,Beauty and the Beast or TLK.

And that's all.

The original Little Mermaid was coming off after a decade of mediocre to terrible box office grosses in the 80s like Black Cauldron and Great Mouse Detective (witch was beaten by AN American Tale in 86), that was the Disney Dark Age. Plus, animation was not seen in such a good light in general back in the day, so the fact that TLM made 184 million dollars in it's initial run and became the 9th highest grossing movie of 1989 when animated movies where lucky to even hit top 20 worldwide was a pretty big effing deal at the time.

If anything, Little Mermaid helped Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King to become the monsters hits they where.

• Like 2

2023 is the second "normal" year after Covid but May monthly gross is now looking at around $720m, shockingly this is lower than the May of 2022! This is a very unpleasant result because I think the marketplace has enough flow of product to make monthly gross more comparable to pre-Covid time but they are still underperform compared to recent years.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I must have missed the movies starring Zendaya that were gigantic because of her name alone. I don't know where some of you guys are getting that she's some massive box office draw whether it be domestic or international.

And the international audience for the little mermaid is racist? If a film doesn't draw in an audience does that automatically mean it's racist because the lead actor is black? Like I truly don't understand this.

I imagine the reasoning for people clamoring for Zendaya is because she HAS been a co-star in now what... 5? huge films. One would think she's a much more household name than Halle. yadda yadda yadda

But come on with that second paragraph. You're being willfully ignorant if you can't see the history of box office and black films struggling internationally.

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

Honestly, i dont get that argument either. I mean i understand it, but personally, i would think that the most likely explanation for the international floppage is much more simple: There just wasnt any kind of similar demand for a Little Mermaid remake OS compared to the DOM market.

• Like 6

Six months ago I never thought this would have a massive Memorial weekend.  This is a great start we’re having to the summer box office. Two $300 million plus grossers out of the first three summer event films. Long may this continue through the season. 

Edited by wildphantom

7 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I imagine the reasoning for people clamoring for Zendaya is because she HAS been a co-star in now what... 5? huge films. One would think she's a much more household name than Halle. yadda yadda yadda

But come on with that second paragraph. You're being willfully ignorant if you can't see the history of box office and black films struggling internationally.

I'm not talking on a macro level. I mean maybe films like The Madea movies struggle internationally but I'm not talking about things like that I'm just talking specifically about the little mermaid. There could be a dozen reasons why international audiences have no interest in the movie. I think it's incredibly presumptuous to say it's just because the lead actress is black.

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

2023 is the second "normal" year after Covid but May monthly gross is now looking at around $720m, shockingly this is lower than the May of 2022! This is a very unpleasant result because I think the marketplace has enough flow of product to make monthly gross more comparable to pre-Covid time but they are still underperform compared to recent years.

“We’ve tried nothing and we’re all out of ideas!” - Hollywood execs

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Six months ago I never thought this would have a massive Memorial weekend.  This is a great start we’re having to the summer box office. Two $300 million plus grossers out of the first three summer event films. Long may this continue through the season. 

The biggest hit of the summer though comes very late.

Spoiler

0077050.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1