Eric is Anxious

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

I mean, Barbie has two white leads. One of them is a white male character.

The story could be trangressive or feminist, but Barbie promo doesn't focus on that aspect. It isn't the reason why this movie is so profitable either.

Lol..I don't want to spoil the movie but the major plot points are as woke as they come.

Especially where a lot of people feel that men are being "de-masculinised" and hate hearing about the patriarchy and healthy body types are just buzzwords.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

You would have thought Mendes’ influence was strong enough to get that project off the ground. It wasn’t too long after his Oscar success with American Beauty. 

he was the type to have a lot of in development projects that didn't get made, for a while. Not so much now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Nolan was the one who wanted it to be release that summer. WB would have sat on it maybe not for two years but a year at least. 

I think there was a risk that Killar might have pushed Tenet also for a streaming release if Nolan wanted to delay it. That is something strict no no for Nolan. That is why Nolan was pissed off with WB and shopped his next movie across all studios. 

May be he could come back now that leadership is different but I think he will prefer to stay independent and shop across the studios for his next flick which wont happen for a while until dust settles down on strikes. 

• Like 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

I still think it was SoF that hit MI7 harder than it’s scheduling. There’s no way they’d have know that film would break out. 

Without it, MI7 would be at $150 million plus by the end of this weekend 

That certainly played a factor.

But for me... not just opening a week before "Barbenheimer," but also the last-minute decision to move from a Friday opening... to a Wednesday opening... to a Tuesday opening... to an eventual Monday night caused confusion.

Also not opening the week following Indy 5 (when even Stevie Wonder saw that flop coming) boggles the mind. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Only other name is Cameron but he has made 2 movies in 25 years and that is also a franchise. So I am not counting him at all though there is no bigger draw if he choose to make another non franchise movie. 

Jordan Peele on a smaller scale. People go to his movies cause they’re his movies.

Just now, eddyxx said:

Jordan Peele on a smaller scale. People go to his movies cause they’re his movies.

Definitely domestic. Dont think he is a draw outside. Even Nope had extended presales and initial start was underwhelming. It was closer to release that it picked up. Oppenheimer had early start as well and it was a great start for sure. 

May be Peele will get there some day. I wonder if he will take up a franchise at some point. 

5 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Lol..I don't want to spoil the movie but the major plot points are as woke as they come.

Especially where a lot of people feel that men are being "de-masculinised" and hate hearing about the patriarchy and healthy body types are just buzzwords.

I know about the feminist and transgressive topics in the movie. My point was that the promo hardly focus on that aspects.

The promo focus on the adventures and conflicts of the white blonde female lead and her white blonde boyfriend.

That's why I said the popularity of this movie isn't due to its transgressive themes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

It's important to remember that being woke just means you do something like that badly. Otherwise no one really cares (aside from the usual suspects like shapiro. 

No, it’s just a label applied by dumb people until it ends up being financially successful. Super Mario Bros was “woke” because they made Peach a “girl boss” but then it wasn’t anymore when it made a billion. Spider-verse would’ve been “woke” with its BLM stickers and trans discourse if it didn’t make significantly more than the first. They’ll find a way to spin Barbie as “not woke” too eventually.

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

12 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I still think it was SoF that hit MI7 harder than it’s scheduling. There’s no way they’d have know that film would break out. 

Without it, MI7 would be at $150 million plus by the end of this weekend 

I don;t understand why people can't see both movies. If you chose effing SOF over MI 7 you did not want too see MI 7 that much.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

all the Barbie promotion was a kind of artistic installation that was already about the themes of the movie...

Really? I don't think a lot of people could understand that until they see the movie.

I think the first teaser (with the little girls breaking the baby dolls) was pretty artistic. However, the other trailers seem to focus on the comedy aspects of the movie, not the messages.

Edited by Kon

6 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I wonder if this can do for Greta Gerwig what Dark Knight did for Nolan

Greta already leveled up with Little Women but this success is astronomical. I'm really not sure Narnia happens next for her

Yes, depends on Narnia.

Dark Knight + Inception was a pretty spectacular one-two punch, particularly as the latter was an original story.