Eric is Anxious

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Also happy to see Elemental looking at another sub-30% drop despite Barbie obviously bringing out family audiences in huge numbers too. Hopefully the D+ launch is held off for another month or two so it can make a play for $160M+.

8 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I don;t understand why people can't see both movies. If you chose effing SOF over MI 7 you did not want too see MI 7 that much.

they can but if it grabbed walk-ups from it and then Barbenheimer quickly arrived, there’s likely many that just haven’t got round to it.  It absolutely needed two weeks of PLF’s for a franchise that is known for its scale. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Also happy to see Elemental looking at another sub-30% drop despite Barbie obviously bringing out family audiences in huge numbers too. Hopefully the D+ launch is held off for another month or two so it can make a play for $160M+.

I expect it will hit digital retail mid-August and then Disney+ four weeks after that. That seems to be the window Disney are going with at the moment. 

19 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I wonder if this can do for Greta Gerwig what Dark Knight did for Nolan

Greta already leveled up with Little Women but this success is astronomical. I'm really not sure Narnia happens next for her

Hopefully not. It seems sad for her to have delivered this huge theatrical hit and then get stuck making Narnia movies for Netflix for the next five years of all god awful things. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I expect it will hit digital retail mid-August and then Disney+ four weeks after that. That seems to be the window Disney are going with at the moment. 

Word is after Labor Day.   Though it would behoove them to wait until Nov/Dec  if they want to give it a chance to run in Japan.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Moving marvels from 28th was very good move  in hindsight. 

I actually forgot that was supposed to come out next weekend at one point lol. I'm guessing Haunted Mansion will open in the $25M area but manage good staying power due to lack of competition for a while.

If Gerwig follows up Barbie with Netflix Narnia shit that would be really disappointing. She has the vision to get people in theaters, as Barbie is obviously proving.

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

they can but if it grabbed walk-ups from it and then Barbenheimer quickly arrived, there’s likely many that just haven’t got round to it.  It absolutely needed two weeks of PLF’s for a franchise that is known for its scale. 

Yeah I hear you. I am mostly talking about those older casual audiences who see a movie every 3 weeks at the most.They chose SOF as their middle july movie over Mission. Of course this is where Paramount screwed up. They know the Mission audience is slow to come out and if they have no distractions from other big movies they will go eventually. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Hopefully not. It seems sad for her to have delivered this huge theatrical hit and then get stuck making Narnia movies for Netflix for the next five years of all god awful things. 

That's what I mean. I wouldn't want her spending her prime on Narnia movies. Post Barbie, the issue shouldn't be financial... but who knows! Maybe she does want to make Narnia. But after making an indie distributor money and awards acclaim and then subsequently making money and awards acclaim for two major studios, she should be allowed to have top priority to do anything. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Only other name is Cameron but he has made 2 movies in 25 years and that is also a franchise. So I am not counting him at all though there is no bigger draw if he choose to make another non franchise movie. 

But those movies made $5bn+ combined, outrun every high profile auteur we have in the marketplace now. And I must say JC is very good in making a crowd-pleaser. His method was not sophisticated and but he simply know how to hit the chord with general audience. Even A2 has some mixed views among cinephiles but I can assure the WOM is fantastic and great among GA. That explain the good legs everywhere in the world.  

Nolan indeed has a more drawing power and loyal fanbase but JC drawing range is wider, and often go beyond to less-frequent moviegoers. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

That certainly played a factor.

But for me... not just opening a week before "Barbenheimer," but also the last-minute decision to move from a Friday opening... to a Wednesday opening... to a Tuesday opening... to an eventual Monday night caused confusion.

Also not opening the week following Indy 5 (when even Stevie Wonder saw that flop coming) boggles the mind. 

On top of the Tuesday previews and Monday shows, Dead Reckoning even had Sunday screenings where you could only get the tickets through Walmart+ at first. Then I guess the sales weren't hot enough because they got released to the general public at some point.

Maybe it is a Paramount thing, because 80 for Brady and D&D also had multiple early access/fan event showings ahead of the typical day-before-the-opening previews. The 80fB ones even had names like "Ladies Night Out" and "BFF Night Out", plus one was just called a "sneak preview", I guess it was less of a party vibe there.

Anyway, Paramount might want to rethink that strategy.

She's definitely above Narnia. Also, Narnia and its universe is just so much less interesting than other fantasy series. But I digress...she may actually create something wonderful.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

well that was certainly unexpected…

Thats very unexpected.

I guess the memes on social media got them out.

Older audiences still aren't coming out in pre-pandemic numbers.

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

She's definitely above Narnia. Also, Narnia and its universe is just so much less interesting than other fantasy series. But I digress...she may actually create something wonderful.

It doesn’t help that The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is the most interesting and all the other books are pretty meh