grim22

BOT Top 25 movies of 2023 | Reveal complete. The forum has bombed

Spoiler

American Fiction

22KfMXV.png 

jyQ3nXY.png 

Kicking off with the TIFF audience award winner. American Fiction surprised me because I was expecting a comedy based on the trailer, but the movie turned out to be a more complex exploration of family ties as a whole. A great anchoring performance by Jeffrey Wright and the Oscar winning screenplay by Cord Jefferson make the movie pretty much fly-by.

BOT User review:

Great movie 

It really mocked todays society.

@Torontofan

• Like 11

Spoiler

Asteroid City

oiGsVEi.png 

QtEwCq0.png 

Haven’t seen it. The movie feels destined to be mis-remembered as Wes Anderson’s Oscar by future Oscar followers when they se that this came out the same year as his Oscar

BOT User review:

This left me in such a pensive mood that I really can’t write a full review right now, so here’s a few thoughts:

1. As long as I’m alive, I’m watching every new Wes Anderson movie with a crowd at an indie theater. What a blast! Everyone was so into it, and it makes it that much more joyful. Also, shoutout to the Main Theater in Minneapolis for showing a few local, Wes-inspired short films right before the movie. So special.

2. I’ve been knowing that any Wes Anderson production will have some of the best sets and production design in the game, but here he goes further. Those 360 shots and sudden 90 turns reveal such confidence in his direction, so good.

3. Hanks and Johansson slay, and bring us the heart of this movie. Every other actor does great, and you’ll know most of them, but those 2 shined the brightest for me.

4. I know multiple viewings will reveal much more, and that I’ve barely scratched the surface, but it’s hard to explain just how profoundly this touched me. It’s all summed up in two lines:

“I still don’t know what this play is about.

That doesn’t matter. Just keep on telling the story”

We all know how much has happened these last few years, and increasingly it’s harder and hard to make sense of it. And Wes is here to tell us that that is okay.

8/10

@abracadabra1998

• Like 11

Spoiler

Nimona

grEyHke.png 

dO5Aq0O.png 

The movie’s journey from Blue Sky to cancelled to pulped to finally revived and released is almost better than the actual movie, but the movie is genuinely a fun ride and is well worth your time. Really good animation, good performances and the action scenes are animated in a different way compared to normal animated action scenes.

BOT User review:

Finally saw this. Love the idea of medieval schizo-tech, the visuals, and the voice acting.  Would have been nice to see in the theater, even if the story is standard (but yay queerness).

@Morieris

Wanted to give my two cents about it since I watched it a couple of days ago. Absolutely loved this! Basically a punk-rock anarchist queer film aimed at family audiences which I think is really radical. Animation is sublime from top to bottom, love how it squashes and stretches depending on the mood, scene, or even what Nimona herself wants to do. Impeccable voice work in this from both Ahmed and Moretz, particularly Moretz who is stellar here. I think what really gets me is just how insanely unique it feels despite the story, on paper, being tried and true tropes. It's ultimately a "love everyone for who they are" story but it's wrapped up in such a unique science fantasy aesthetic and has a wickedly strong sense of humor (this is a very funny movie). Also shoutout to Christophe Beck's score which is one of the best scores of the year to this point.

@LegionWrex

• Like 9

Spoiler

Wonka

WnxWmxB.png 

7EhGZFF.png 

Another movie I haven’t watched it, but it definitely looks good, and who can resist Hugh Grant playing an Oompa-Loompa. Still not as good as the Stoned Oompa-Loompa though

v9r1IuV.jpeg 

BOT User review:

I really really love it. Tim may not be the best Wonka but he is definitely someone you would want to spend holiday with in cinema @Borobudur

This was so good. Loved the music, loved the look. Thought it was strong acting across the board, with many people stealing scenes here and there. The last act...I was so emotional. Just hearing the first notes of Pure Imagination, I got emotional.

Did not realize how much the original really had an impact on me, same goes for the one with Freddie Highmore. But, when he read the messages in the chocolate from his mother, I was very touched.

@Claire of Themyscira

• Like 9
  • Heart 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Spoiler

Elemental

jneMvx3.png 

r5tTSrB.png 

Pixar’s return to form with an original movie success(?). Elemental was a low-key old-school legs based success at the box office by telling a star-crossed lovers story with the Pixar style added. I liked it without loving it but there is no denying it spoke to a lot of people.

BOT User review:

At the beginning I was cynical because it felt like a Zootopia ripoff, but then I got sucked into the characters. I really like this movie @cannastop

• Like 11
  • Knock It Off 1

Spoiler

The Iron Claw

HpqjOiT.png 

6BuPRp7.png 

A movie about the Von Erich family who are pretty infamous within the wrestling fandom because of the “Von Erich Curse” associated with them. The movie presents everything very unflinchingly, and all the performances, minus Ric Flair, are all pitch perfect. As a wrestling and a movie fan, this movie is an A+

BOT User review:

Terrific Film. @The Panda

About as heartbreaking and without the "inspirational true sports movie" tropes as one would expect from a film about the tragic Von Erich family of wrestlers, though it's not without some issues that I found hard to overlook. For example, they had a sixth son who I believe doesn't get mentioned at all? I know the filmmakers said they decided to leave him out because the movie already had enough sadness but still felt like an odd exclusion. It also doesn't always find the easiest transitions between the character relationships and the well-executed wrestling scenes either (though the little moments where it attempts to bring the viewer into a behind the scenes look at the world of wrestling are a highlight). And there's a scene in the afterlife once all the tragedies are complete that comes across as an attempt at pulling the audience's heartstrings from a film that avoids such cheap sentimentality otherwise. But it never forgets the humanity of the characters, and that's where it truly succeeds.

This is arguably the performance of Zac Efron's career. In a way, it's almost as if his path from Disney Channel heartthrob to Hollywood leading man in trashy studio comedies has all been leading up to this: a remarkable performance unlike anything we've ever seen from him before. He doesn't seem likely to receive an Oscar nomination at this point, but he deserves one. Jeremy Allen White and Harris Dickinson also contribute moving work, and Holt McCallany provides an effective portrayal of a tough father whose steely demeanor ended up having negative consequences across his family. Usually the women in movies like this are sidelined, but refreshingly not so much here, as Lily James makes Kevin's wife feel like a real person while Maura Tierney brings quiet power as a mother who finds herself having to wear the same funeral dress over and over as one untimely tragedy after another hits the family.

It's held back from greatness due to the little issues here and there, but the effectiveness of how it treats its characters leaves an impression that'll stay with me for a while.

B+

@filmlover

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Spoiler

Air

ItLRBw4.png 

AA5lXmc.png 

One of the many, many, many BRAND ORIGIN movies in 2023 and probably the best one of the bunch. Affleck and Damon both reunite and give us one of the more entertaining movies of the year. That Michael Jordan kid looks like he will go far.

BOT User review:

Air is a great film, boasting outstanding performances from Viola Davis and Matt Damon. Both Ben Affleck and Jason Bateman do well in their supporting roles. The decision to withhold Michael Jordan's appearance on-screen was an intriguing choice, ultimately not detracting from the movie's impact. Skillfully paced and superbly written, Air is infused with just the right touch of humor, making it an ideal choice for a delightful springtime viewing. Under Ben Affleck's masterful direction, Air earns 9 out of 10.. @lilmac

Fantastic movie @TMP

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 2

Spoiler

Are you there God? It’s me, Margaret

gpfDpff.png 

hjdX0sb.png 

Haven’t watched it, but I have heard of this book for over 30 years now. So I genuinely thought it was an older movie when it came out. Turns out the author really did not want to part with the movie rights in the 90s.

BOT User review:

One of the selling points in the marketing of Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret has been the long-standing legacy and timelessness of the Judy Blume children’s novel on which it is based; that marketing angle, luckily, is truth in advertising. With The Edge of Seventeen writer and director Kelly Fremon Craig filling those same roles here, Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret is a poignant and frequently hilarious coming of age film that hits virtually all the right notes and succeeds in striking at a sense of universality in its story. Even with a setting more than half-a-century in the past, Craig makes the scenarios and character interactions feel immediate, and she captures the humor, awkwardness, and meaningful growth in this period (lame pun maybe intended) of the titular Margaret’s life with a keen eye for authenticity. Nothing in this narrative feels false or forced, and the frankness with which it deals with the topics it broaches – which undoubtedly resulted in a grossly undeserved PG-13 rating from the MPA (because heaven forbid a film with this setting and subject discuss periods) – makes it feel more honest and impactful. It also succeeds in exploring faith and spirituality more deeply and meaningfully than films that brand themselves as more explicitly “religious;” by being willing to look at both the spiritual benefits and social belonging that can come from religion while also not shying away from the ways in which it actively threatens the dynamics of Margaret’s extended family, Craig engages with matters of faith in a richer and more nuanced manner than most other filmmakers ever will. In front of the camera, the cast is superb at every stop. Abby Ryder Fortson does remarkably authentic work as Margaret, playing her at times surprising confidence and more common insecurities in an effective, relatable fashion. Among the adults, the standout is Rachel McAdams in a warm and funny turn as Margaret’s mother; though the script already gives her enough complexity to work with, McAdams is a pro at making the performance feel lived in and hinting at layers beneath Barbara’s surface. There’s also winning, affecting work from Kathy Bates, who is a joy every time she appears onscreen as Margaret’s grandmother. If there’s any real problem with this film, it’s that the characters are so richly drawn that I felt like more time could have been spent with many of them (especially within the dynamic of Margaret’s main friend group and the more physically developed classmate they ostracize), but they ultimately all get at least one moment that really sings. Much like The Edge of Seventeen, Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret has been, at best, a minor hit at the box office, but will hopefully enjoy a long shelf life as the newest sterling member of the past decade’s coming of age movie canon. 

A-

@Webslinger

• Like 9

Spoiler

Evil Dead Rise

mPL9qfj.png 

ej05Mja.png 

Haven’t watched it.

BOT User review:

Alyssa Sutherland is queen. Not a perfect movie but really fun 95 minutes. @Flopped

Yeah I really enjoyed this. @Krissykins

This franchise is 5 for 5 in my opinion. I really enjoyed this. Solid 9/10 for me. @JWR

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2

Spoiler

Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

K5sgPcj.png 

3yFynRS.png 

A really fun fantasy movie which unfortunately got tainted by the D&D brand and didn’t break out as a result. It was a fun time at the movies and definitely deserved better. The ensemble is almost uniformly great (minus maybe Justice Smith) and another movie with Hugh Grant in his “I don’t care” phase of the career. Some very inventive ideas in the movie, and some surprising cameos as well.

BOT User review:

Really enjoyed this one. A highly entertaining movie from start to finish. Great set pieces and action. Script is lacking here and there but the cast makes up for it. All the characters gets time to shine and the emotional connection to the characters is there. Also thought the score was great and that the humor mostly landed. It gave me LOTR meets MCU vibe in a positive way. It´s not groundbreaking or anything but it´s a fun time at the movies and the movie feels authentic and not just lets throw in a lot of jokes and action. One of the biggest surprises this year for me as I didn´t expect much. @thajdikt

This movie did a great job at having fun with the setting of D&D without making fun of the setting of D&D

@4815162342

The scene with Rege-Jean Page on the bridge IS D&D.  That's it.  That's the game.

DM: Here is my overtly complicated rules and backstory I have created for this session.

Players: Cool, so what if we do this instead?

DM: *rips up script* Okay, so improv time, in 3, 2, 1.

This was fun! I took my Mom, who thought she was going to hate it and knows nothing about the game.  But she loved it.  She thought it was really accessible, loved all the characters (especially Grant, Pine, and Page).  And thought it was really funny.  We both also teared up a bit at the end.

Like Numbers and reddroast said, I love how D&D this is without trying to be ironic.  There's no punching down here.

It also knows what it is: an action-adventure comedy.  I'm not calling it shallow or mindless; more that it knows its genre and excels at its genre.  Which I like.  Sometimes I just want a really good action-adventure comedy.  Nothing more, nothing less.

@Cap

• Like 12

101-140

101 Godland
102 Memory
103 Napoleon
104 Rye Lane
105 Tetris
106 Pathaan
107 Five nights at freddy's
108 Saw X
109 Theater Camp
110 Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantamania
111 Fair Play
112 Grand Paris
113 Passages
114 The Equalizer III
115 Mars Express
116 Meg 2: the trench 
117 Ransomed (비공식작전)
118 Skinamarink
119 Metalocalypse: Army of the Doomstar
120 Return to Seoul
121 Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
122 Equalizer 3
123 Rebound
124 Sleep
125 The First Slam Dunk
126 The Venture Bros
127 Magic Mike's Last Dance
128 Migration
129 Quiz Lady
130 The Childe (귀공자)
131 Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
132 Cobweb
133 Showing Up
134 Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour
135 Just The Two of Us
136 Noryang: Deadly Sea (노량: 죽음의 바다)
137 Origin
138 The Animal Kingdom
139 The Burial
140 V/H/S/85
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Spoiler

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

aBri0CI.png

vP1TPKY.png 

TMNT is back and this was one of their stronger movie outings. The Turtles are one of those properties which seems to have movies across different generations and styles without ever feeling overexposed.

BOT User review:

Great va performances and soundtrack and some hilariously grotesque imagery, but definitely best to come into it with tempered dramatic expectations. Pretty much a feature length tv show pilot and the humor didn't hit as consistently as I hoped it would. Still a pretty enjoyable movie though and I'm sure families won't mind. @AniNate

This was fun. Besides the turtles, every single character looks absolutely disgusting in this and that's pretty cool @lorddemaxus

• Like 8
  • ...wtf 1

Spoiler

Anatomy of a Fall

cDyuVP1.png 

GInz7xf.png

A very well made whodunit-domestic drama-thriller-courtroom drama-family relationship soap opera. Anatomy of a fall blended genres and was paced perfectly to set a tense atmosphere when watching it. One of my personal favorite movies of the year and it gave us the breakout star of 2023 – Messi the dog

BOT User review:

Seen this twice now. Terrific movie, absolutely worth running out to see whenever it comes to your neck of the woods. @Jake Gittes

Saw this the other day and it was great. I love courtroom dramas and this felt like a fresh spin. great dog acting too.  @CoolioD1

What a great movie @TRISTAN

• Like 11

Spoiler

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One

w5CfKNJ.png 

hiGhQaJ.png

Not the best MI in recent years but still entertaining. Personally, while I liked it, I didn’t love it the way I have loved the MI movies for the most part. Cruise showing signs of aging for the first time in his performance in this movie.

BOT User review:

Absolutely loved it. Have it just above FALLOUT atm. My 2nd favorite MI film. Ranking the action sequences:

DESERT SHOOTING 5/10 (it was nice, but too short to have a great impact)

INTRO 6/10 (nice start, but nowhere near as good as GHOST PROTOCOL and the first MI)

WASHINGTON DC (classic IMP trickery, Kittridge was very good, overall the film's first half an hour was a bit meh, but then boy did it pick up)

MOTORBIKE JUMP 7/10 (it looks gorgeous on the big screen, but it's over quickly and seen everything in the the featurette before, so it softens the impact)

VENICE 7/10 (obviously some important stuff is going down, we have seen better club scenes and fights before. Have no problem with Ilsa's fate, she is busy with other projects, so better to give an on-screen death than outright leave her out from the next one. Thought the sweet moments before the big meeting between Ethan and Ilsa were beautiful)

SPEED FLYING 8/10 (ok, it is not a big moment in the film, probably overlooked how difficult that is and how effortlessly Cruise lands with it so close to the camera coming down with high speed, very cool moment, I loved it)

ROME CAR CHASE 10/10 (it's crazy that's only the third best set piece of the film, it's beautifully done, funny, exciting and Hayley and Cruise are just played it perfectly, Pom is having fun here, too. Yellow FIAT for MVP)

TRAIN SEQUENCE 10/10 (what a climax, just amazingly put together, it has everything and everyone plays a part, truly heart-in-the-mouth stuff)

AIRPORT SCENE 10/10 (now this might come as a surprise that this would end up my favorite part so early on the film, but this is MI at its best and proves how good of a writer/director McQ is. All the major characters introduced and goes to show that you don't need big explosions and fight scenes to create a great, tense sequence. Instant chemistry between Ethan and Grace, funny gromaces by Whigham and sets up the whole film nicely)

I had no issue with the plot, I thought it was clever and very topical and clearly we'll get know get to know more about the Entity and Gabriel in Part Two

Overall 9/10

@The Dark Alfred

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

The Boy and the Heron

W7QsERs.png

e82cjcY.png

Haven’t seen. High on my list to watch whenever it becomes accessible to me.

BOT User review:

I used to think Akira had the best animation of any Japanese anime movie but this could very well take that crown. @cannastop

I think this one's great. Score was incredible. @JustLurking

Watched this last night with the UK release. It was a delight to finally see a Ghibli film on the big screen.

The film was beautiful and an extraordinary artistic achievement. Every frame feels so honest and true to itself. There's no cynical or complacent choice to be found. It's incredible how Miyazaki can still craft a film that is so free of expectations this late in his career. 

We are offered a different kind of protagonist in Mahito. He's quiet, sullen and resistant to the world around him. There is a volcano bubbling under the surface of both him and the film. The ideas that Miyazaki wants to contend with and the world he presents us with grow more complicated and difficult.

@FilmFincher

• Like 9
  • Sad 3

Spoiler

The Zone of Interest

Nm3uJzZ.png

yO9lzqb.png

A movie about the middle managers in the factory of evil. It perfectly captures the horror of the concentration camps without ever showing us the actual camps from inside. A very well done encapsulation of the bureaucracy which underlined the entire Nazi regime.

BOT User review:

A very unconventional film, so much so that I don’t know exactly how I’d classify it. But it’s certainly worthy of a watch, and the Oscar nom, imo. It’s disturbing in ways I’m still working through as well @JustWatching

My favorite movie of the year. The ending is one of the most chilling and devastating conclusions I have ever seen. @Eric Atreides

I saw this last night and was completely knocked out. Best film of 2023. @Avatree

• Like 10
  • Sad 1