ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

11 minutes ago, Belakor said:

Yeah definitely, people are more picky nowadays deciding what to watch and what to skip / save for later in an streaming app, and going to cinema is much more expensive and less affordable with all the debt common people are carrying, so this is going to be a new normal IMO, either a movie takes all the money or flops with not much attention. 

I agree. The biggest choc post pandemic anyways is joker. I really was thinking of a very big pop phenomenon.

But yeah now of course the bad WOM Is killing It more than ever, the early reviews killed a little bit the hype but the truth Is the hype we thought It was there just wasn't there from the start. Even with everything going good (so people nornally like It) this Just had the hype to make like 200m domestic maximum and no more.

Edited by vale9001

57 minutes ago, Megajohn01 said:

Gunn hasn’t really done much to help differentiate that perception that DC as a brand is largely unreliable. DC is going to have a massive uphill battle to win over not just a fractured fanbase but a jaded General Audience who view DC as a lesser quality brand.

39 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

If i had a nickle for every time a DC movie bombed and people told me the next one would surely be a hit i'd have more profit than DC movies have had in the last decade.

Seems like a lot of people are just being willfully silly about this. If you want to pretend that these movies are particularly connected feel free but this is like “Batman will flop becasue of black Adam” level nonsense

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Joker absolutely cratering in my region. Pretty much every theater I track is landing in the 10-11M true Friday. And the first Joker was a massive overperformer here relative to domestic (equivalent of 115-130M opening weekend).

22 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

This seems something common for post pandemic btw. There are more and more big movies are very big and more and more big fails- just mediocre performances. It's like the middle territory is disappearing. 

And this is why the industry’s screwed. A few mega-smashes every year and pretty much fuck-all else isn’t sustainable. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mulder said:

We'll see how Venom 3 and Kraven (pft) do I guess but this year has been another disastrous year for CBMs mostly. Only one big successful third film banking on beloved characters (Like GoTG Vol 3 before it last year) and a bunch of bombs, including a sequel to a previous billion dollar maker. The genre is absolutely in trouble and if Venom 3 also falls below Let There Be Carnage's numbers I think it's safe to say it's on the way out.

They’ve been releasing a lot of crap, which has always struggled. Sony stuff was always dicey, DCEU has been dead for like 5 years and already ended, MCU hasn’t had a bad performance from an A-/A yet. If MCU or DCU start doing weak business on good movies it’ll be a sign the genre is pretty cooked but until then it’s really not a genrewide issue, almost all of these would have done poorly in 2018 or 2014 or 2008 or 2002

Edited by Cooper Legion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Seems like a lot of people are just being willfully silly about this. If you want to pretend that these movies are particularly connected feel free but this is like “Batman will flop becasue of black Adam” level nonsense

This. If Superman has great trailers , good marketing ,strong reviews and still opens to like 60 million then we can talk but until then it's just all a bunch of blather from  people who know better. No well reviewed MCU movie has bombed and no well reviewed DC movie has bombed that was not a hybrid release-Suicide Squad 21 or just not well known enough by the GA-Blue Beetle

5 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Mount Rushmore of movie villains for me. 

Ronald Emmerich

Collin Treverrow 

Michael Waldron

Raj Kumar Hirani 

Lmao. I'm guessing hirani for Dunki. What about others?

It's just me and doesn't mean anything but i wouldn't watch a new Superman movie if it's an universe i didn't follow at this point etc..while the idea is a new universe and a reboot makes It something i could watch and i feel some interest. So probably It's important for them to be very clear about this point. 

Also i like the actor they choose. It seems different from the old muscular Superman but has the vibes of the next door good guy. I think young women could like this thing. 

51 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Or at least, to the extent there’s a genrewide issue it’s a decreased competence in making CBMs from studios more than a decreased interest from audiences 

Yep. Bad SH movies flopping is fine. Good SH movies flopping would be the actual problem.

1 hour ago, Cooper Legion said:

almost all of these would have done poorly in 2018 or 2014 or 2008 or 2002

You are saying The Marvels would've done 200M worldwide in 2018? Or The Flash? Isn't this silly nonsense though?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

You are saying The Marvels would've done 200M worldwide in 2018?

No, the MCU in particular was in a pretty unusual moment in 2018-2019 in particular. But it wouldn’t have done great 

10 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Or The Flash

I mean yeah could very well have been around 200M 

10 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Isn't this silly nonsense though?

No

Just finished joker 2, the movie is definitely way better than what review or exit poll suggest. But the movie is just terribly anti crowd pleaser and anti-fans service. It is going to the direction that nobody desire. It is the TLJ moment of the Philip’s joker. The movie is not boring, but the outcome is. Its D cinemascore is an understandable one. 

• Like 1