Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

http://deadline.com/2017/08/it-stephen-king-projected-box-office-opening-1202150870/

DHD says $60M

New Line/Warner Bros.’ It came on tracking in a very strong way with predictions that are akin to a summer blockbuster. However, taking into context the fall marketplace and the time of year, analysts are simmering them to on the low end $50M, and on the high end $60M.

From the article

For It, males overall are 24% unaided, 75 total awareness, 57% definite and 17% first choice. Females are 26% unaided, 76% total, 50% definite and 18% first choice. Teen males are 24% unaided, 75% total, 66% definite, and 24% first choice.

Those are fucking INSANE numbers.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

From the article

Those are fucking INSANE numbers.

While the numbers are insane, there is literally nothing else on tracking currently. No wide releases in the next 3 weeks, so IT is the only game in town and should have numbers this high across all demos and topics. It should open huge, but the tracking demo numbers are definitely inflated as hell.

20 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Would/could Silence of the Lambs be considered a horror film?  

It is a bit of an muddy one, IMDB has it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102926/

Crime, Drama, Thriller  for is 3 biggest genre association over horror and I think I would agree with them, but it is considered horror by many (some feel 2001 a space odyssey play like an horror sometime), comedy and horror are really subjective because on how unreliable being horrified or laughing can be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

It is a bit of an muddy one, IMDB has it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102926/

Crime, Drama, Thriller  for is 3 biggest genre association over horror and I think I would agree with them, but it is considered horror by many (some feel 2001 a space odyssey play like an horror sometime), comedy and horror are really subjective because on how unreliable being horrified or laughing can be. 

Thanks.

Lambs has always been an intriguing one to categorize --in my opinion. When I first read the book, it played (to me) like straight horror.

The movie, however, never felt to me like horror.

But like you said, it's such a subjective thing...

30 minutes ago, grim22 said:

While the numbers are insane, there is literally nothing else on tracking currently. No wide releases in the next 3 weeks, so IT is the only game in town and should have numbers this high across all demos and topics. It should open huge, but the tracking demo numbers are definitely inflated as hell.

It's a fair point, I think, but isn't it also sort of a Catch-22? IT may be tracking that high because there's almost no competition for it... but having no competition is pretty universally considered a good thing. :lol: 

If there is a figure that's inflating, I would say it's the first choice number. The awareness percentages are really high too, and IT has had to market for attention over the past couple months while other summer fare have been doing the same thing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I think it'll be the first time ever that 3 horror films have grossed over $100m domestically in the same year. 

This got me curious so I did a bit of research. Seems like it's only happened once before in 1999 with The Sixth Sense, The Blair Witch Project and Sleepy Hollow. Almost had 4 with The Haunting stalling at $91 million.

Edited by Sterling

15 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

It's a fair point, I think, but isn't it also sort of a Catch-22? IT may be tracking that high because there's almost no competition for it... but having no competition is pretty universally considered a good thing. :lol: 

If there is a figure that's inflating, I would say it's the first choice number. The awareness percentages are really high too, and IT has had to market for attention over the past couple months while other summer fare have been doing the same thing. 

And Kingsman is out that next week right? I believe that awareness number and schedule wise there's nothing in the way in theaters (the fight will be a huge event this weekend though).

I am curious if they'll drop the embargo early or at least let out reactions to continue to build on the hype. I know they didn't for Wonder Woman or Mad Max: Fury Road (at least with reviews - I don't remember there being many reactions for Wonder Woman before the embargo? I think there were some tweets but I could be wrong...).

I'm sensing a box office OW around 70-80 but at this point, I just want the movie to live up to the marketing.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

And Kingsman is out that next week right? I believe that awareness number and schedule wise there's nothing in the way in theaters (the fight will be a huge event this weekend though).

I am curious if they'll drop the embargo early or at least let out reactions to continue to build on the hype. I know they didn't for Wonder Woman or Mad Max: Fury Road (at least with reviews - I don't remember there being many reactions for Wonder Woman before the embargo? I think there were some tweets but I could be wrong...).

I'm sensing a box office OW around 70-80 but at this point, I just want the movie to live up to the marketing.

2 weeks after.

4 minutes ago, Harley said:

I knew this would be huge. I was hoping it would be closer to 100m OW tbh.

But when it was first announced we were just hoping for a 25 million dollar opening weekend.

I think you guys are getting really carried away now. In my opinion there is not a chance in the world this will open to 100 million. When is the last original film to open to 100 million? It's incredibly difficult for any film that isn't part of a property to open up to those kinds of figures.

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I think you guys are getting really carried away now. In my opinion there is not a chance in the world this will open to 100 million. When is the last original film to open to 100 million? It's incredibly difficult for any film that isn't part of a property to open up to those kinds of figures.

But this is a part of a property.

4 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

The Secret Life of Pets managed it but that had the Illumination brand. I think the low end is $55m and the high end is $75m which would be fantastic.

• Like 1