Neo

In The Heart Of The Sea | December 11, 2015 | New Trailer on Page 8

8 hours ago, John Marston said:

Holiday season. Multiple movies can co exist then. 

Still think SW will play like a super massive black hole this holiday.

Movies will co exist but lots of flops won't.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

SW being sold out is more likely to help the family friendly movies than ones like this, imo. TGD could get nice overflows from SW

I think Joy, Daddy's Home, TGD, and maybe Alvin or Concussion are the movies that can co-exist with SW. I think everything else in theaters between 12/18 and 1/8 is toast

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

SW being sold out is more likely to help the family friendly movies than ones like this, imo. TGD could get nice overflows from SW

I think Joy, Daddy's Home, TGD, and maybe Alvin or Concussion are the movies that can co-exist with SW. I think everything else in theaters between 12/18 and 1/8 is toast

I honestly think Concussions is the “Oscar film" for this winter that has a change at really breaking out big with the GA.

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I honestly think Concussions is the “Oscar film" for this winter that has a change at really breaking out big with the GA.

It would have to be a Blind Side sized hit before it had any shot  at all for big Oscar noms. It may surprise and pull like 100m, but I'm sure it wouldn't do better than that. 

The sold outs for Avatar definitely helped the rest of the market. Barely anything underperformed that Christmas, except for Nine/Did you hear about the Morgans. The blind side, TPatF, Alvin2, SH, It's complicated, Up in the air all managed to do solid/great business that Holiday. That's six succesful films, two flops and a meh (Invictus).

I can see Concussion, TGD, Joy and In the heart of the sea doing remarkable grosses

Alvin, Daddy's Home and Sisters are a mmaybe

And Point break, The big short and Legend can be the losers of the season

Edited by stripe

13 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Still think SW will play like a super massive black hole this holiday.

Movies will co exist but lots of flops won't.

I agree. Isn't that what happened with The Avengers? I seem to recall how it became the kind of massive event that caused a lot of otherwise potentially big films to underperform or flop. If any movie can do that, become that massive box office black hole (for other  films), it's Star Wars.

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm not sure if you can really make a movie about whalers and try to have the whalers be sympathetic to a large chunk of the audience. Certainly, if I saw this I'd be rooting for the whale.

Edited by Orestes

On 11/18/2015, 4:28:18, Cochofles said:

Isn't that what happened with The Avengers? I seem to recall how it became the kind of massive event that caused a lot of otherwise potentially big films to underperform or flop.

The only movies that were killed by Avengers were Dark Shadows, Battleship, and to a much lesser extent The Dictator (as it didn't aim to the same crowd). I remember Prometheus was considered a disappointment too but it came out over a month after Avengers so I'm not exactly sure how much that was affected. MIB3 and SWATH did very well (I personally think Avengers actually helped SWATH as both were action-y movies co-starring Chris Hemsworth).

Edited by department store basement
  • Like 1

The book is so good and the movie looks absolutely terrible with that green filter thing. How can you fuck up the aesthetics of an ocean ? It also seems like that they missed the point of the book as well which is less about whale/whaling (that's Moby Dick) or heroism and more about survival. 

2 hours ago, TLK said:

The book is so good and the movie looks absolutely terrible with that green filter thing. How can you fuck up the aesthetics of an ocean ? It also seems like that they missed the point of the book as well which is less about whale/whaling (that's Moby Dick) or heroism and more about survival. 

I'm sure there'll be a lot more "survival" stuff in the movie (I've also read the book and thought it was great) but in terms of marketing a movie that will appeal to the masses, I think they're doing a pretty good job with these trailers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TLK said:

The trailers aren't showing really anything from the real-life post-whale incident.