Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

White boy will become blue, don't worry. White Savior Jai WorthingCourtney became blue. That's subversion of the trope. :D

JC is spoiling me for choice with his "white saviour subversions" and  insightful views into objectified representations of women in blockbusters. Role model :wub: 

6 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

JC is spoiling me for choice with his "white saviour subversions" and  insightful views into objectified representations of women in blockbusters. Role model :wub: 

I just hope that one of the sequels finally give us the long-awaited first-ever scene of a Na'Vi female stripping, with all camera angles solidly emphasizing every curve, nook, and cranny of her furry blue body. :D Neytiri, obviously...

Omaticaya female empowerment, y'all!

Edited by Cochofles
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I just hope that one of the sequels finally give us the long-awaited first-ever scene of a Na'Vi female stripping, with all camera angles solidly emphasizing every curve, nook, and cranny of her furry blue body. :D Neytiri, obviously...

Omaticaya female empowerment, y'all!

Cameron's gonna leave Suzy for you! :bravo:

2 hours ago, Cochofles said:

“Nobody is watching Avatar [on home video] or waiting in four-hour lines at Disney’s World of Avatar or going to the sold-out Cirque du Soleil shows because of the film’s 3-D,” he points out. “People respond because of the movie’s characters, themes, and emotions—and we have all that again. When the cast read what Jim Cameron wrote, it hit them with even greater  resonance than the first movie.”

^^^Listen well, children.

Yeah, love it when a producer tells me I care about the one-note characters and sloppy dialogue instead of me deciding for myself whether I liked it.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

Here's the BO of movies that won Best Vfx since then (Like Avatar they are non-sequels):

292.6 Inception 2010

73.4 Hugo 2011

125.0 Life of Pi 2012

274.1 Gravity 2013

188.0 Interstellar 2014

25.4 Ex Machina 2015

364.0 TJB 2016

190.0 /146.5/125-175  Dunkirk/War of Apes/BR49  2017 (i don't think it's gonna be any CBM or SW8)

4 movies from 2010-2013 have a combined dom of 765.1m

4 movies from 2014-2016 have a combined dom of 767.4m (Even picking the biggest dom for the sake of argument - Dunkirk's 190) 

Both those combined doms are in the ballpark of Avatar's 749m.

Basically just Vfx cannot have Avatar like BO. Something else happened with Avatar.

I understand the critique. I too didn't love it. Felt it was a solid B+. But can't pin the insane BO down to just Vfx and 3D.

Edited by a2knet

Ex Machina winning SFX over TFA is one of the most pleasant upsets ever. There was nothing new in TFA. It was a rote nominee that was expected to win cause it was Star wars. But inventive little movie pulled an upset. Matrix rightfully did the same to TPM though Matrix wasn't small. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Ex Machina winning SFX over TFA is one of the most pleasant upsets ever. There was nothing new in TFA. It was a rote nominee that was expected to win cause it was Star wars. But inventive little movie pulled an upset. Matrix rightfully did the same to TPM though Matrix wasn't small. 

Although TFA was technically a weak frontrunner for that category, my feeling is that had Ex Machina not win, it would have gone to MMFR anyway, considering that it was sweeping the techs. TFA did not deserve an award, but I'm glad Ex Machina won.

1 hour ago, Jay Beezy said:

Yeah, love it when a producer tells me I care about the one-note characters and sloppy dialogue instead of me deciding for myself whether I liked it.

But you can speak for the majority?

Btw, he isn't speaking about you. In case you haven't noticed, not everything revolves around you.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Although TFA was technically a weak frontrunner for that category, my feeling is that had Ex Machina not win, it would have gone to MMFR anyway, considering that it was sweeping the techs. TFA did not deserve an award, but I'm glad Ex Machina won.

Good point. MMFR was sweeping techs so TFA wouldn't have won even as a projected default winner.

1 hour ago, Jay Beezy said:

So says the man whose goddess (look at his avatar) has made a career out of films with one-note characters and sloppy dialogue. I mean, actual one-note characters and sloppy dialogue. :rofl:

Unless I missed the deep characterization and sharp dialogue in Baywatch, The Layover, and San Andreas. 

Edited by Cochofles

I have a bad feeling about this. Cameron has worked with teenage and adult actors, but not with kids. We all know he can be extremely tough on his crew and cast. Kids tend to be unprofessional and hard to control. Not sure if his style will work with the kids because if he treats them like he has done with his actors in the past, things could get real ugly during the shooting. Won't be shocked if one of kids parents take him, fox and lightstorm to court. 

Cameron, my man, you will have to control your natural instincts on this one. 

4 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I have a bad feeling about this. Cameron has worked with teenage and adult actors, but not with kids. We all know he can be extremely tough on his crew and cast. Kids tend to be unprofessional and hard to control. Not sure if his style will work with the kids because if he treats them like he has done with his actors in the past, things could get real ugly during the shooting. Won't be shocked if one of kids parents take him, fox and lightstorm to court. 

Cameron, my man, you will have to control your natural instincts on this one. 

Carrie Henn survived Cameron without scars for life.

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Not sure if his style will work with the kids because if he treats them like he has done with his actors in the past, things could get real ugly during the shooting. Won't be shocked if one of kids parents take him, fox and lightstorm to court. 

Set with kids are under heavy control, always an assigned guardian (if the parent themselve is not on set), the amount of hours by day you can work with them, etc... Even Cameron will not work with kids like he do with adult on a MPAA studio set, it is just impossible.