Olive

Official Weekend Est: MJ1 56.9M Penguins 25.8m BH6 18.77m Interstellar 15.8M

Enjoying the Penguins debacle. It is one of the most front-loaded toons ever that played during Thanksgiving. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that its Saturday-to Sunday drop will stay at -41%. Mark my words. The drop will be at best -44% (5-day total at $35.7M) but probably around -47% (5-day total at $35.4M).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=penguinsofmadagascar.htm

Edited by Quigley

Pleased to see Gone Girl crack $160M.

Most interesting thing for me this weekend is that Mockingjay hasn't suffered from WoM, it's got the same drop as Catching Fire. (Though the weekdays did proportionally slightly worse)

I wouldn't exactly call GOTG  a super hero movie, there are no super hero's for a start.

It's a Marvel film featuring a group of superheroes...

Edited by treeroy

Unbroken has to break out because there is no other adult themed film this year at Christmas.

Just because it is doesn't mean it will do well. We've seen this situation before with all kinds of genres. Sometimes people just aren't interested.

Regarding Dreamworks, I wonder what analyst or adviser would recommend a Dreamworks stock? Really, look at their slate and how is it going to get any better? Even if they start making great movies, which has not been the case the majority of the time, look at the premises. I don't know what goes on in their studio. Making fodder might have worked once, but now with the whole competition exploiting niches and themes fuly, they are completely out of their league. They have been found out. $25.8m weekend is terrible. Expected, but still terrible.

• Like 1

Ugh. pretentious. Not all movies have to be deep and thought provoking, you know, and not all family films are dumb trash that adult moviegoers cannot enjoy. (and you added Into the Woods and the Hobbit to that list?) Besides, who complains about film companies releasing family fares for the holiday season on a box office forum? it's a very reasonable business strategy box office wise and it's not like the market's been too much family driven for the whole year anyway.

I don't get the no wide release adult oriented films complaint,

This year we have

Gone Girl

Fury

Interstellar

Unbroken

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Lucy

22 Jump Street

Edge of Tomorrow

The Equalizer

Non-Stop

The Monuments Men

Jersey Boys

Exodus: Gods and Kings

The Grand Budapest Hotel

John Wick

Nightcrawler

The Theory of Everything

Birdman

Foxcatcher

The Imitation Game

Inherent Vice

The Judge

St Vincent

Chef

Get on Up

The Hundred Foot Journey

Boyhood

A Walk Among the Tombstones

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Yes, there weren't that many R rated hits this year and that's worrying. But I think the biggest problem is more franchisation than anything else.

They want a sequel to anything that's a hit nowadays even if it makes no sense to have one,

• Like 2

Wait what's with the thread title? 18.77M fo BH6. WHAT. I thought it was guaranteed for 19M given the friday numbers. Did it crash and burn after that?! Urgh I hate it.

Noooooo now it's under $220m going by WIR. Please go up with actuals.  :sadno:

Just because it is doesn't mean it will do well. We've seen this situation before with all kinds of genres. Sometimes people just aren't interested.

Regarding Dreamworks, I wonder what analyst or adviser would recommend a Dreamworks stock? Really, look at their slate and how is it going to get any better? Even if they start making great movies, which has not been the case the majority of the time, look at the premises. I don't know what goes on in their studio. Making fodder might have worked once, but now with the whole competition exploiting niches and themes fuly, they are completely out of their league. They have been found out. $25.8m weekend is terrible. Expected, but still terrible.

DWA hasn't been able to keep up with the competition and they got complacent allowing the competition to take advantage. Audiences will see an animated film in their droves if it appeals to them, look at how successful Frozen and The Lego Movie were. 

If DWA doesn't get their act together, they're going to be either bought out or shutdown.

• Like 1

Snoozy weekend, huh? from a 240 page weekend thread to a 20 page weekend thread. that must be our biggest drop yet.

Peyton Manning is playing primetime tonight.

Maybe that'll spice things up for #ED.

Panda, I think Ando81 means dramas without special effects or shoot-em-up "action movie" action. That cuts out Interstellar, Apes, Lucy, Jump Street, Edge, Equalizer, Non-Stop, Exodus, John Wick, possibly Nightcrawler, Tombstones, and X-Men.

It is true that wide-appeal (and high-grossing) adult dramas are in shorter supply these days. Not sure whether there is untapped demand and money being left on the table, or if this generation really doesn't want stuff like that.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Panda, I think Ando81 means dramas without special effects or shoot-em-up "action movie" action. That cuts out Interstellar, Apes, Lucy, Jump Street, Edge, Equalizer, Non-Stop, Exodus, John Wick, possibly Nightcrawler, Tombstones, and X-Men.

It is true that wide-appeal (and high-grossing) adult dramas are in shorter supply these days. Not sure whether there is untapped demand and money being left on the table, or if this generation really doesn't want stuff like that.

The midbudget films have been squeezed the hardest as franchises and tentpoles are the moneymakers. Personally I think a film slate should be a mix of tentpoles and more moderate budgeted films like dramas and comedies but as we've seen, they don't always click with audiences.

The demand is still there, they just stopped making them because some of them failed at the box office.  The same way a studio could argue for years that audiences don't want to see a female superhero movie/action movie because of "Catwoman" or "Elektra" bombing.  It is a self-fulfilling prophecy where they tell themselves that audiences in Oct./Nov./Dec. don't want a lot of adult dramas anymore.  So instead they replace them with DADT and Horrible Bosses 2.  

Snoozy weekend, huh? from a 240 page weekend thread to a 20 page weekend thread. that must be our biggest drop yet.

I think a lot of people have missed the transition of the forum. We have lost a lost of members it seems during that transition, traffic has been slowing down considerably since the transition ...

I think a lot of people have missed the transition of the forum. We have lost a lost of members it seems during that transition, traffic has been slowing down considerably since the transition ...

the fact that the forums are kinda slow doesn't help.