grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

I know based on the time of the movie, present day is considered the 90's, but .... dunno, most of the references they showed just reminded me of the section of the web that loves the 90's to an annoying degree. 

So far the trailer put my enthusiasm on life support. Not rooting against it, but there's eight months for it to change my mind.

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

The first trailer of Valerian which got lambasted by so called movie geeks on this forum had MUCH better cgi in its first trailer. This movie finished shooting a while ago and had plenty of time to finish the effects for atleast the teaser/comic con trailer. But like I said it doesn't matter. Even the awful BFG got 74% on RT, so this is bound to be overrated as hell. It will also manage to do solid bo because of the marketing+berg+imax+3d+tomato law+lots of recognizable movie/pop culture characters.

Dude, how can you say that the movie is gonna be overrated just because of poor CGI from a trailer for a movie that comes out almost 9 months away from us? Are you seriously getting angry at the movie already only due to people getting excited about things they recognize in there? XD

• Thanks 1

I love Spielberg but I don't really care for most of his recent movies. Some of them I find just "fine" (Lincoln,Bridges of Spies), others kinda bad (Indy4, War Horse, BFG), but the only Spielberg movie I really liked in the last 10 years was Tintin and even that one wasn't that great.

This sadly, looks really bad. I hope I'm wrong.

Guys, just to try to clarify, the whole thing about the pop culture references in the trailer/movie is pretty much the point of the story itself. The virtual world of OASIS exists because people are looking for escapism in a dreary world submerged in financial chaos, and those characters were pulled into that world to further immerse the players in the escapist universe. Trust me: it serves a purpose greater than just a cheap pop from nostalgia crowds.

Also, what's wrong w/seeing all those characters smash into each other in a movie? WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT MOTHAFUCKAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS

• Like 3

I loved the book and I will most likely love the film based on this trailer.

I don't think "the book sucked" is the general consensus regarding this book but this is BOT so it makes sense. That's fine too, I'm sure the crowd who disliked the book and will surely dislike the movie can look forward to something else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I loved the book and I will most likely love the film based on this trailer.

I don't think "the book sucked" is the general consensus regarding this book but this is BOT so it makes sense. That's fine too, I'm sure the crowd who disliked the book and will surely dislike the movie can look forward to something else.

I love that aabattery who disliked the book reacted with thanks. I love reactions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, James said:

The book is fuckin amazing and that trailer looked fuckin amazing. And I hae no doubt this will be huge BO wise.Thinking 800m-ish WW.

It does feel like something that will be pretty damn big, yep. Not sure if 800m big but it definitely has the feel of an over-half-a-billion grosser.

• Like 3

What the fuck did I just watch?!:winomg::wintf:

Spielberg churning out the meta visual vomit of every geek shallow fantasies by way of Michael Bay and Zack Snyder spliced through the epileptic frenzy of Speed Racer. It's a monstruosity but kinda works like an indictment of Hollywood beneath this barrage of wink wink nudges.

(It's really funny, because I'm onto this on-going personal hobby CG project, I basically model some of the most known cinematic cars and vehicles like Mad Max's Interceptor, Delorean, Blade Runner's Spinner, Burton and Nolan's Batmobile, Kaneda's motorcycle etc. so I can put them in a racing game or something. Then I see this movie trailer depicting a scene when you see a Delorean racing alongside other cinematic cultish vehicles. I was like "Goddammit The BEARD!")

(EDIT: People actually spotted a Mad Max Ford Falcon barreling in the teaser, jeez, my little project is now a total rip-off...Also Christine's Plymouth is in there too)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

The book is pretty bad, the trailer is meh. Though I think it's one of those rare cases where the movie will likely be better than the book because the subject matter lends itself better to the screen. Not expecting this to be any good, and I still love Spielberg.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

If I didn't already know it was Spielberg I never woulda guessed from that trailer. Even the BFG looked like a Spielberg film from the trailers

I do see more than a passing resemblance to Minority Report in a few parts.

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I've wanted to get around to reading the book, but you guys make it seem like it's really bad. Hm.

You'll hate it, way too casual for you.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Haha 3