kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

On 7/12/2017 at 11:22 AM, John Marston said:

I am no DC hater but the first one wasn't that good at all. And the novelty of villains being the main characters is now gone. Can see a big drop

The 'novely' of seeing superheroes and/or supervillains onscreen should have also been gone by now, and yet here we are, with three superhero films as the top grossing films of the summer. Audiences don't make their moviegoing decisions using those criteria ("Hell no! Another supervillain team up? Pass!")... 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm guessing they got WB and Disney to deal on this because The Rock wanted Patty Jenkins for this movie. Must have been a lot of wrangling behind the scenes to keep Jenkins going on WW2 while giving Serra up.

• Like 2

Good career choice for the director.

I have a hard time seeing a big name director doing SS2 considering SS was extremely mediocre and no one wants to do sloppy seconds. 

Go with an up and coming director who is willing to work with studio to make a fun solid movie. Gareth Edwards has no project lined up since rogue one (has his reputation taken a big hit since then? Let's face it, rogue one was a giant mess which was nicely saved by getting a new director and pumping lots of money in reshoots/vfx and changing character arcs and story bits) so get him up while you can.  

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

I'm guessing they got WB and Disney to deal on this because The Rock wanted Patty Jenkins for this movie. Must have been a lot of wrangling behind the scenes to keep Jenkins going on WW2 while giving Serra up.

Let's hope that's what what happened and if that's so then let's also hope they've got someone else lined up.

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Good career choice for the director.

I have a hard time seeing a big name director doing SS2 considering SS was extremely mediocre and no one wants to do sloppy seconds. 

Go with an up and coming director who is willing to work with studio to make a fun solid movie. Gareth Edwards has no project lined up since rogue one (has his reputation taken a big hit since then? Let's face it, rogue one was a giant mess which was nicely saved by getting a new director and pumping lots of money in reshoots/vfx and changing character arcs and story bits) so get him up while you can.  

Yes, skip a film that will likely be the biggest hit of your career, and instead he should do another 'Jungle adventure type movie with The Rock which won't likely bomb, but will under-perform given how much people prop Rock up as some ridiculously huge draw for anything he's in.  Seriously Dwayne is so overexposed right now, it's borderline absurd.  He has so many projects (most of which sound horrible as is his forte) upcoming.  By the time he gets around to Black Adam, nobody going to watch him do much of anything anymore. LOL

Serra would have been solid for the material ... and I'd kind of accepted him as directing it, but whomever they get probably won't be some huge downgrade.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamKendall said:

Yes, skip a film that will likely be the biggest hit of your career

If the movie is already predicted to be hit because of the franchise, I don't think the industry will give you much credit and green light power because of it, Ayer did the first one, giant success and he is not in solid footing to do the next DC entry. Did Chris Columbus status changed much because of the first 2 Harry Potter giant success ? Sam Taylor-Johnson has yet to do a second movie after 50 shades of gray made 571 million (almost 15 time it's budget), Catherine Hardwicke after twilight, etc... etc...

It need to be perceived that the success was in part because of the actual movie and the direction (Spider-Man 1/2, Batman dark night trilogy, Lords of the rings, Transformer and so on)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

How many movies is The Rock in goddamn

He is attached to at least 17 future projects (tv, documentaries, movies) I think.

1. Fighting with My Family (2018) ... Production Company
  2. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) ... Production Company
  3. Baywatch (2017) ... Production Company
  4. Soundtracks: Songs That Defined History (2017) (TV) ... Production Company
  5. Rock and a Hard Place (2017) (TV) ... Production Company
  6. "Ballers" (2015) ... Production Company
  7. Big Trouble in Little China (????) ... Production Company
  8. Doc Savage (????) ... Production Company
  9. "Lifeline" (????) ... Production Company
  10. San Andreas 2 (????) ... Production Company
  11. Son of Shaolin (????) ... Production Company
  12. The Janson Directive (????) ... Production Company