kayumanggi

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM | 22 JUN 2018 | Universal | J.A. Bayona to direct | The Park is Closed | NOT THE FRANCHISE WARS THREAD

Just now, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

The trailer is one of the worst I have seen for this kind of mega-blockbuster. When Chris Pratt started running away from the volcanic ash, I literally thought of the Mummy. Heck, the whole trailer just gave me the vibe of The Mummy.

3AEE946B00000578-3990908-image-a-56_1480 

Holy shit, Kevin stanning against a non-WB film? :ohmygod: 

6 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

The trailer is one of the worst I have seen for this kind of mega-blockbuster. When Chris Pratt started running away from the volcanic ash, I literally thought of the Mummy. Heck, the whole trailer just gave me the vibe of The Mummy.

3AEE946B00000578-3990908-image-a-56_1480 

I thought the same thing :hahaha: 

43 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Lets be honest. There is NOT one thing Jurassic Park 5 could have came up what that you guys wouldn't think is stupid. Its Volcano or main land or San Diego again ahah, so honestly idk what the complaints are about. From a marketing to GA an visual stantd point this is the only way and the right way to go.

Or going on with the militarization of Dinosaur setup of the JP 4 (hard to imagine that one being pull off, what a challenge to write that).

You could be right, but one issue with this first trailer, is what did they came up with ? Do we have any clue about that movie ?

It look almost like pure 30 first minutes footage here (hard to imagine they would play a will the volcano explode or no tension) ? Is it only a survival on that island after the volcano exploded ? Or there is something else going on, must be something else right ?

Ha ha, wow, that trailer was kinda awful. Shame too, because I enjoyed the first one (as a guilty pleasure) and I like the director as well. Ah well, maybe it'll be another Star Trek Beyond, where it ends up good in spite of the trailer. Hopefully.

Honestly, I think the major big thing the trailer is missing is any real sense of majesty or scale. Whatever your foibles with Jurassic World (and there are many understandable ones), its trailer at least knew how to build up both the park and its dinosaurs as something special and impressive and something to see. Here, there's a volcano exploding and dinosaurs and dangers everywhere and I ended up feeling practically nothing. And, trust me, I'm really not hard to please with this shit. Even the dramatic remix of the JP theme did nothing for me and that's like the easiest shit to get right.

Also, in terms of premise and story, personally my major issue was less with there suddenly being an active volcano on the island and more that the trailer doesn't really give a strong reason as to why these people would want to save these dinosaurs in the first place (especially as the trailer implies they're trying to save all of them, rather than a select few.) Animal preservation aside, evacuating all of the dinos would be both obscenely expensive, difficult and dangerous and, as far as we know, there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason why they just can't make more elsewhere instead. And because that motivation doesn't really feel believable, the premise doesn't feel believable, hence the movie looks dumber for it.

I mean, just as a small change, how much better would this movie sound if the team were trying to catch one of every species of dinosaur on the island before the volcano went off, because they needed them to clone more? That's a premise that's much easier to understand and explain and gives you solid, understandable plot, hook, motivation and a ticking time bomb in the background with the volcano. I mean, who knows, they'll actually do something similar in the movie and trailer just poorly explained the premise, but it's not difficult to do something with this idea.

I mean, again, I'm not the sort of guy who tends to get all that fussy about this sort of stuff. I tend to enjoy like 90% of blockbuster trailers that I watch on some level, even the movie itself looks terrible. But if a movie involving dinosaurs and volcanoes barely managed to get a shrug from me, then that's not a good sign.

• Like 4