kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

:blink: Watching the second trailer and I still don't believe this an actual movie.  It plays like a parody trailer for a skit show.

Welcome to 2019 where everything feels like a glitch in the Matrix.

Which shocks me is I went to see The Wizard of Oz last Thursday.  That Lion costumes -- while heavy and hot -- still looks GREAT.  Like, who cares if the real (faux) fur costumes from the Broadway Show looks whack?  They look ICONIC whack.  And have for 20 years!!  It's part of the charm!!

• Like 5

Regarding the budget, given the very nature of the movie (people are cats), every single frame needs CGI. Every single character on screen at all times will be CGI'd. That's not going to be cheap. Even the past two Avengers films had a couple scenes that didn't need special effects.

Additionally, filming only wrapped back in April, and there were reports a few weeks ago that the film wouldn't be ready for early December awards screenings, so clearly the studio has been rushing to get the effects finished. And rushing to finish effects involves throwing more money at the problem.

So while I highly doubt it's as high as the reported $300m figure, I would not be surprised at all to learn that the budget is over $200m.

57 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Although that weirdness has been exhaustively overstated, the teaser still makes for peculiar viewing . Idris Elba, James Corden, Judi Dench: thanks to an estimated budget of £230m and some state-of-the-art CGI, they and a hodgepodge of others have been transmogrified so that their faces top fluffy bodies.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/21/film-trailer-cats-ts-eliot

Edited by 1Robert1

9 hours ago, 1Robert1 said:

Although that weirdness has been exhaustively overstated, the teaser still makes for peculiar viewing . Idris Elba, James Corden, Judi Dench: thanks to an estimated budget of £230m and some state-of-the-art CGI, they and a hodgepodge of others have been transmogrified so that their faces top fluffy bodies.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/21/film-trailer-cats-ts-eliot

Yeh that’s the one Scott Mendelson already debunked, he’s been told under $100m. It’s on the previous page. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like absolute dogshit...unbelievable that a cast and crew worked on this for over a year and THIS is the end result? A horrific crash...but for the ages. 

Jason DeYEAH

It's disturbing how terrible they all look...weirdly enough, only the lead and Taylor's CG seems passable. Everyone else's looks disgusting. Could be the visual effects team is on crack...you never know.

27 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Looks like absolute dogshit...unbelievable that a cast and crew worked on this for over a year and THIS is the end result? A horrific crash...but for the ages. 

Jason DeYEAH

It's disturbing how terrible they all look...weirdly enough, only the lead and Taylor's CG seems passable. Everyone else's looks disgusting. Could be the visual effects team is on crack...you never know.

Or maybe they were on a time crunch, over-worked and under-paid? VFX houses are consistently given unrealistic deadlines by Studios and then get scrutinized for sub-par work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TMP said:

Or maybe they were on a time crunch, over-worked and under-paid? VFX houses are consistently given unrealistic deadlines by Studios and then get scrutinized for sub-par work.

this movie wrapped production in april and i remember thinking at the time there's no way with what they're trying to do it's gonna be ready for december? i guess tom hooper's just not used to working with the visual effects stuff and he/universal thought he could deliver it at the end of the year for an awards run/christmas box office so he just stuck to his usual sort of production schedule.

The Irishman had much more minimalistic digital make up than what's going on here and they still started production over two years ago to make sure it was at least passable. 

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3