baumer

Tuesday#s Pets 9.2 GB 6.2 FTF 2.3 The V 1.9

7 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

So Ghostbusters is a hit. Poor obsessed and deranged haters. 

Well, it's not a flop as the haters were pushing for but a hit? It opened in a very modest range for a summer tentpole with brand awareness. 

The second weekend(as is true with any film) will really sharpen our clarity on it's status. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bladels said:

So TDK is still gonna be alone in $500-600M area when we have 3 $600-700M grossers and 17 $400-500M 

Some say Rogue One could join TDK in this category. I'm optimistic but think it could actually go sub $400m (hope I'm wrong).

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Huh? At best it will break even 

Yeh, theatrically.

Did we miss this article? Via @Telemachos

https://stephenfollows.com/how-movies-make-money-hollywood-blockbusters/

These big budget movies make a fortune from home ent and TV. Could be enough for Sony to do a sequel just for the sake of the brand alone. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Well, it's not a flop as the haters were pushing for but a hit? It opened in a very modest range for a summer tentpole with brand awareness. 

The second weekend(as is true with any film) will really sharpen our clarity on it's status. 

The brand awareness factor is overrated in this case. GB is a beloved '80s movie, but the world wasn't clamoring for a sequel or reboot, regardless of the ghostbusters' gender. Maybe the superfans were, but the general public wasn't. The horror comedy is kind of a dated concept. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

There's a reason GB doesn't go up as much as the rest. It's playing in IMAX and because Imax actually tend to be relatively busy everyday of the week and there is no discount for that format then it mitigates the increase.

Although the counter-argument is that GB's IMAX shows are very lightly attended. There were only a few people in my theater.

That being said, +29% on your first Tuesday is solid no matter how you look at it.

• Like 2

Ghostbusters will probably die down with IMAX screens taking other films such as Star Trek, Bourne, and Suicide Squad in the next few weeks. Melissa Mccarthy's films do fine in the long run while I found the film to be very boring and unfunny(nearly dozed off a few times) it should do at least around $150 million.                           ID2 yeah I know I said $102 million but Fox will probably push it to have it around $108 million or so for Labor Day weekend. The Shallows no matter what still is a solid hit! $60 million would be awesome! Considering how small its budget is a and sucessful counter-programming against Dory and other big blockbusters.Despite May sucked ass, there have been very sucessful counter-programmers such as Me Before You, Central Intelligence,  Shallows, Purge 3, and  Mike & Dave have all done fine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

Btw @mahnamahnacalled 8.8m Tuesday for Pets yesterday! Spot on as usual.

Thanks! I'm getting more and more accurate as I go. There's definitely more of a process/formula to numbers than one might think. 

Still think it's on pace for $26 million this next weekend. I'd say $28-29 million based on its weekdays, but Ice Age 5 will leave enough of a dent to put it in the $24-26 million range IMO. $330-345 million should happen unless it drops worse than I expect against Bourne 5/Bad Moms and SS 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, La Binoche said:

The brand awareness factor is overrated in this case. GB is a beloved '80s movie, but the world wasn't clamoring for a sequel or reboot, regardless of the ghostbusters' gender. Maybe the superfans were, but the general public wasn't. The horror comedy is kind of a dated concept. 

I'm not putting this just on you but how do we know what films people want a reboot or sequel to? Even though we will never know this, my guess is that if Jurassic world had somehow think people would be saying the exact same thing. The third one did so little that nobody was asking for another sequel to Jurassic World. It's all about perspective and it's all about the box office. If this Ghostbusters had opened up to 90 million nobody would dare say that nobody asked for a sequel or reboot to Ghostbusters.

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Although the counter-argument is that GB's IMAX shows are very lightly attended. There were only a few people in my theater.

That being said, +29% on your first Tuesday is solid no matter how you look at it.

Agreed. But that's still enough of an audience to account for a softer increas in the 3-5% range

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Why FTF is Finding Dory? F*ck the fish? Damn you baumer.... :sarah:

I think both me and @CJohn can be blamed for that. :)

9 hours ago, Baumer said:

Well if you're going to make a blanket statement that has no validity to it and someone points out to you that you are wrong, why would you be sarcastic to them? He just showed you that you were wrong.

I'm seeing a lot of people act like this over the forums lately. It's not hateful or anything, it's just kind of discouraging.

I've seen a lot of sarcasm and gifs in responses to people. It almost seems cliquish and I'm not a fan.

Maybe I'll go back to just lurking here like I did for years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baumer said:

I'm not putting this just on you but how do we know what films people want a reboot or sequel to? Even though we will never know this, my guess is that if Jurassic world had somehow think people would be saying the exact same thing. The third one did so little that nobody was asking for another sequel to Jurassic World. It's all about perspective and it's all about the box office. If this Ghostbusters had opened up to 90 million nobody would dare say that nobody asked for a sequel or reboot to Ghostbusters.

Was GB really the phenom that Jurassic Park was? I mean, I didn't exist when OGB came out so I can't say for sure but during my 90's childhood, nobody from my age group particularly cared for the franchise. Kids were fascinated with other older franchises like Star Wars, Indy and to a lesser extent, even BTTF and Trek. But GB? Not so much.

The other day I was reading an open letter by Harold Ramis's daughter in defence of the reboot and this was her reasoning for why the 1989 sequel bombed:

Some critics called it lazy and mechanical, others said it was actually better than the original. There was another round of toys and merchandizing but a lot of kids seemed to have moved on to Batman, Ninja Turtles, Game Boys, and the new Sega Genesis. The die-hard fans of GB84 still turned out and in the end, everyone was pleased, but the lightening bolt popularity that characterized the original film just wasn’t there.

She already thought most folks (especially kids) had moved on in 1989. So why should it have been more potent in 2016?

Here's the rest of her article btw

Edited by Spidey Freak