Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

28 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Every studio is guilty of that from time to time. 

It wasn't THAT long ago that Disney was the king of this, what with Prince of Persia, Sorcerer's Apprentice, John Carter, Lone Ranger, and we'll go as recent as Tomorrowland.

They've found their formula though.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Well, looks like Valerian isn't such a clear cut winner for Bomb of Summer 2017 after all!

Although that movie will probably end up with a solid enough overseas total even if it flops domestically. I don't think even China is coming to King Arthur's rescue.

Valerian could have a cool camp factor.

I'm hoping.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Wow, Lowriders really surprised, made almost 1M yesterday. Shit.

@YourMother @elcaballero @Goffe @aabattery @Eevin @Wrath @WrathOfHan@Arlborn  @chasmmi Anyone else get screwed over by this? (Or by snatched which I had at like 23M)

I met some folks Thurs afternoon and did a fair bit of drinking. So my predicts were done in literally 5 minutes, and while I did manage to get back to them, I was still moderately drunk and fell asleep mid-way through a very questionable job of re-evaluating them.

My predicts are looking a little better than I expected given the circumstances (18.5m on Snatched), but still not good (Lowriders, I predicted just under 1m. For the weekend. Oops).

For me, Spaghetti could not possibly have chosen a better non-elimination weekend.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

Just now, That One Valerian said:

Ok can someone explain how the fuck Lowriders did so well?  It received zero marketing and didnt even hit 300 theaters.

Zero marketing from your perspective basically. BH Tilt is known for their targeted campaigns, apparently they marketed specifically looking at area demographics and had trailers before Latin Lover, it also had outdoor advertising in the specific markets.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Is GOTG II still outgrossing GOTG? Apparently, its fanbase hasn't really expanded. Good thing is, it still crossing 300 M.

Yes.

This weekend probably goes like last weekend... just good friday and great saturday / sunday.

13 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Is GOTG II still outgrossing GOTG? Apparently, its fanbase hasn't really expanded. Good thing is, it still crossing 300 M.

Fairly easily considering this weekend of 60 will take it to 243, less than 60 away from 300.

July is the most attended month, not june. But this summer does have too much in june compared to july, with the result being a couple major june releases will do worse than expected and in july there will be some over performances.

Dunkirk has some prime real estate but to me it doesnt look like the kind of movie to be able to capitalize on it. I have a feeling that date is something WB gave to Nolan to keep him satisfied. Wonder woman would benefit much more in its place IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MattW said:

July is the most attended month, not june. But this summer does have too much in june compared to july, with the result being a couple major june releases will do worse than expected and in july there will be some over performances.

Dunkirk has some prime real estate but to me it doesnt look like the kind of movie to be able to capitalize on it. I have a feeling that date is something WB gave to Nolan to keep him satisfied. Wonder woman would benefit much more in its place IMO.

Wonder Woman would have been perfect in August. It's obviously still going to make a crap load of money. But even the July release date you're speaking of wouldn't be ideal for Wonder Woman because Spider-Man comes out 2 weeks before that. If it was between the release date it has now and the Dunkirk release date, keep it where it's at. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Wonder Woman would have been perfect in August. It's obviously still going to make a crap load of money. But even the July release date you're speaking of wouldn't be ideal for Wonder Woman because Spider-Man comes out 2 weeks before that. If it was between the release date it has now and the Dunkirk release date, keep it where it's at. 

This August is death. Won't be surprised if Annabelle wins August.

2 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Given that it is from WB, I don't find it surprising at all. They are the guys that bet BIG and fail BIGGER. 

They did more than Ok with Matrix, Harry Potter, all Nolan big budget titles, and Hobbit Trilogy. Get over-ambitious with Arthur, don't keep the production in check maybe?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MattW said:

I thought that with Dunkirk as well being a story that the North American audience isn't exactly familiar with, but their marketing has been brilliant so far and I think it is going to be an event film for them.  

• Like 3

Just now, EmpireCity said:

I thought that with Dunkirk as well being a story that the North American audience isn't exactly familiar with, but their marketing has been brilliant so far and I think it is going to be an event film for them.  

Dunkirk overperforming is almost a given. Strong trailer. Who cut it?