grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

Are you kidding? There’s no way previews are as low as $32M. That would be terrible and frankly unbelievable. Our 4 am IMAX has more than 50 tickets sold! Everything else is sold out or within a few rows of sellout already. It can’t get much bigger than selling out every screening from 6 pm to midnight. 

Why is reading an entire 3 line post so difficult? 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

All I can think about is that there is a distinct lack of articles about the presales this time around. Obviously it was never going to get close to TFA, but surely there would be something to crow about if it was going to score over 40m.

35m is a reasonable guesstimate based on sales and info we already have. And that in and of itself is staggering, particularly when you consider the time of year.

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

All I can think about is that there is a distinct lack of articles about the presales this time around. Obviously it was never going to get close to TFA, but surely there would be something to crow about if it was going to score over 40m.

35m is a reasonable guesstimate based on sales and info we already have. And that in and of itself is staggering, particularly when you consider the time of year.

I don't know...I gut feel it's gonna be higher, just b/c of all those way-expensive showings...every theater seemed to have at least 1 (and some 3-4) and those add up across 4200 theaters...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Rogue One did $29M last year and this seems to be incredibly far ahead of Rogue One in sales.

2 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Jumanji did close to $2m in Sneaks last Friday and some think it could open to $60m over the 6day. 

http://deadline.com/2017/12/jumanji-welcome-to-the-jungle-amazon-prime-sneak-box-office-1202227292/

It's really looking like this could pull out $200m, just like Sherlock Holmes did against Avatar in 2009. 
Great for Sony.

NO.  The fucking comp is Night at the Museum which opened on the exact same day the last time the calendar set up like this 12 years ago.  

17 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

It’s difficult to understand bad predictions. I read your post - doesn’t make it any less wrong or silly or laughable. 

It wasn't a prediction but an extrapolation on the rate of tickets sold on Fandango Pulse compared to other films in response to Porthos's remark on the large number.  There's a third sentence referencing high pre-sales prior to today that makes those numbers and percentages meaningless and who the fuck knows.

But I'm sure that's all noise to you since I didn't write OMG!!! BIGGEST NUMBERS EVER FOR STAR WARS!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

It wasn't a prediction but an extrapolation on the rate of tickets sold on Fandango Pulse compared to other films in response to Porthos's remark on the large number.  There's a third sentence referencing high pre-sales prior to today that makes those numbers and percentages meaningless and who the fuck knows.

But I'm sure that's all noise to you since I didn't write OMG!!! BIGGEST NUMBERS EVER FOR STAR WARS!!!!!

$45M+ big guy. I don’t care whether it’s Star Wars or not, you even writing $32M when Rogue One made $29M previews is what made the post silly. You extrapolating nonsense data is even worse. How about extrapolating that if it outsold Beauty and the Beast 3 days ago and kept up a torrid pace it would probably land at the predicted $200M OW and with that number and the SW fan base did you think weak previews were in order?

Theater today was as busy as TFA where I was. Crazy busy and crammed to the brim with lines. Thank god for IMAX reserved seating.

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

$45M+ big guy. I don’t care whether it’s Star Wars or not, you even writing $32M when Rogue One made $29M previews is what made the post silly. You extrapolating nonsense data is even worse. How about extrapolating that if it outsold Beauty and the Beast 3 days ago and kept up a torrid pace it would probably land at the predicted $200M OW and with that number and the SW fan base did you think weak previews were in order?

Theater today was as busy as TFA where I was. Crazy busy and crammed to the brim with lines. Thank god for IMAX reserved seating.

I really don't think you got the post. It didn't say that the movie wouldn't post 45m+, it only talked about very specific numbers from Pulse in comparison to other movies. The number listed was only for those comparisons. Then there was an additional sentence which clarified that earlier presales could obviously mean that the number would be quite a bit higher.

Whether the movie was supposedly heading for huge numbers due to other reasons couldn't be less relevant, because this post was only about a specific set of numbers from Pulse.

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

NO.  The fucking comp is Night at the Museum which opened on the exact same day the last time the calendar set up like this 12 years ago.  

No, my "fucking" comp is Avatar and Sherlock Holmes, because it's a Blockbuster that existed next to a superblockbuster. I can't see what's your problem here.

And NATM did not open the exact same day, as Jumanji opens on wednesday. 

23 hours ago, narniadis said:

The lack of pre-sales data is canto bitght ish / DJ ish. 

• ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

@grim22 @ReyReyBattery Any info on what TFA was looking like on movietickets around this time? :D 

I can't find any specific numbers for the weekend :(

Guess people were a little preoccupied that weekend. Abandoned the poor old buzz thread. Someone might have posted them in the TFA weekend thread but I'm not having any dice finding them with the forums search engine and I can't really be bothered going through 324 pages to see if they show up in there :lol:

• Like 2