grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*tries to imagine how crazy bananas it would be to try to track TROS with only 11 says of pre-sales*

Yeah, but also think about the kind of hype that can be generated when some big music albums can be dropped out of the blue. When the right person releases the right album on the right day, it can generate a ton of hype and interest.

There's something to be said for our MTV-shortened attention spans.

8 minutes ago, kitik said:

Yeah, but also think about the kind of hype that can be generated when some big music albums can be dropped out of the blue. When the right person releases the right album on the right day, it can generate a ton of hype and interest.

There's something to be said for our MTV-shortened attention spans.

*also tries to imagine getting a good seat for TROS under such a scenario*

Yeah, some events I can do without. :lol: 

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am predicting 120m. Optimistic for sure. Hype is there but marketing of WB off late have not been good. I felt they did terrible job with Shazam and IT2. So we have to see how things go next 2 weeks.

I think WB Marketing's been a disaster zone this year, but their Joker stuff's been incredibly good. Really high awareness

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

I did sort of wish that they gave Endgame a 7-day PS run. Not because it would be a good idea, just to witness the insanity.

Living up to your user name I see. 

Edited by captainwondyful
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just did a drive by of my theaters. LS13 looks to be at like 350-375 IMAX, 100 Dolby already and SMCM DGAF cause presales? At that theater chain. What are those? 

Both absolutely look ready for 100 million opening weekend. SMCM is at 16 showings and LS13 is at 17. LS 13 also already has their standard showings up-a big indication they expect it to sell big. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Ridiculously premature but 1 hour into sales

JOKER - NYC Local MON (9/23) (10am)

(RPX) 4:30PM 10/320
(RPX) 7:30PM 14/320
(RPX) 10:30PM 16/320

(2D) 4:PM 14/301
(2D) 5:PM 8/301
(2D) 7:PM 16/301
(2D) 8:PM 8/301
(2D) 10:PM 10/301
(2D) 11:PM 8/301
  104/2766 = 3.776%

It 2 had sold 239 tickets by your T-1 day update so this seems really good.

Kinda just scanned through sales, so it's not really super accurate, but it's made about 161 tickets within the past hour and a half, which I guess is fine. Gotta wait until the day ends to really get a good grasp though.

One thing of note is that the 4PM sales have been almost non-existent. Almost as if maybe starting previews at a time when its target audience is just getting home from work is a stupid idea or something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric! said:

One thing of note is that the 4PM sales have been almost non-existent. Almost as if maybe starting previews at a time when its target audience is just getting home from work is a stupid idea or something.

Generally speaking 4pm'ers (and 5pm'ers for that matter) don't really start selling in bulk in the 4pm window until much closer to release.  Like week of.

Overall though, I agree that having 4pm previews for a very hard R adult skewing film is, well, asinine. 

Oh, I know why WB is doing it.  But doesn't mean I can't roll my eyes and bitch and complain about it. 

*goes off to build seat map*

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

First Check Point at AMC Empire 25. There are total 9816 tickets available for previews in just 1 Plex!!! It has sold 721 tickets. I will post an update tonight but that is not a bad start. Definitely way stronger than how IT2 had started. Shows are spread 3 hours apart and so they are able to squeeze in more shows as opposed to say IT2 which had shows 4 hours apart in the same screen.

Edit: its still dynamic as I had initially checked dolby at around 8AM PST and it has sold another 50 tickets after that. Dolby prime time is at 174/225 and so will sellout very soon. I am feeling good about it selling more than 1000 tickets by end of the day just in this 1 Plex.

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

I looked at Plexes across several cities(SF, Dallas, Austin etc) and it has started really strong overall. I wish @Deep Wang still gives us updates as its going to have a big day 1.

It will slow down significantly after OD but with only 10 days to go for previews, its pace ought to be stronger than most movies after OD pre sales.

To me target is around 15-20m previews. Let us see if PS is holding strong enough for that range.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2