kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

6 hours ago, terrestrial said:

not necessarily 

in the first film it was about her mother didn‘t want her fighting focused, especially that early.

This is sport, see also some similarity to Olympia.

I also think Diana is three years older in the flash-backs in this one (the actress playing young Diana is the same, in the first one she is listed as Diana (8), three years between the movies...), so some details might have changed regarding fighting too anyway.

Good points...I'll have to rewatch the first film to confirm exactly what Hippolyta was objecting to.

Edited by Fielding

On 12/6/2020 at 9:58 PM, BoxOfficeZ said:

Really solid movie that I put on par with the first movie if not better. Sometimes sequels can go overboard with world ending threats or upping the action to ridiculousness but WW1984 keeps it pretty reasonable all things considering. I give props for Jenkins for trying something different. The 80s tone and the awesome soundtrack (Zimmer did an amazing job) made this fun but also hopeful with optimistic messages. Great performances by Pascal and Wiig in particular.

Have my heart please? I'll have your kids. ❤️ 

57 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’ve been listening to the score today and it is very, very good. It’s classic Zimmer though, so as good as it is, I somehow doubt he gets the Oscar, it’s more of a perfection of his style than a reinvention.

Dont take that as me being negative though, it’s a fantastic score and I hope he plays some of it at his tour next year!

I don't think it will get a nom, but if it gets will be totally deserved.

49 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Regarding the people who said this movie looks bad, or that the test screenings made it sound bad, is that just because of the tone? 

I think it was because of the plot. When the person leaked it, he really tried the hardest to make it worse possible. And also these screenings are from like 2 years ago? so the VFX wasn't not even far from finished... it wasn't the same experience.

A few thoughts after seeing the film.

I haven't seen the trailers so not sure how much plot/info was advertised, I will try to avoid giving as much info as possible.

GOOD:

- It has a really upbeat atmosphere. Some of the scenes are really "wondrous", and joyful. I will admit there was one scene, not even a scene intended to be 'emotional', that I actually had a brief tear up in, out of joy. Such a feeling of joy... The film unashamedly celebrating comic books and superheroes. 

- Pedro Pascal is severely entertaining as a villain. This film really belongs to Gal Gadot and Pedro Pascal.

- The set pieces are great. You get to see stuff that you always want to see in movies. Where normally a superhero has to stop a threat before it happens... It *actually* happens here, and you get to see it.

- vast majority of the action takes place in daylight!!! I'm so sick of these films having their big CGI scenes in the dark and in the rain just so they can hide the VFX. 

- the whole of the film, the action, plot, and characters, all revolves around the feeling of lust and desire. It's not like a satire or commentary. I mean if your reaction to it is "this is a commentary on X thing/person/event" then you can do that; I didn't, but it still makes the film feel like it's actually about something, and has something to discuss. This subject has a real through line, in every part of the film. The film just felt a bit different and interesting due to this.

BAD:

- Typical villain lack of depth

- Plot holes wider than the Amazon. I'm not usually bothered about plot holes in the slightest but it was defo a problem here. 

- Kristen Wiig felt really out of place being her usually annoying, unfunny self. She doesn't for one second feel like a character, it's just Kristen Wiig. Also, one of the plot points of her character isn't believable at all.

- Chris Pine kind of wasted too.

- The 80s aesthetic/vibe is dropped pretty early on, a shame as the opening scene is great in this regard.

- too long. It's not as bloated as aquaman but there's really no reason why it should have been this long. Felt myself getting bored a couple of times.

Overall... I really enjoyed it. The more I think about, the more I see the problems, but in the moment, it worked on an emotional level, and it really gave me the sense of magic that only a film can give you.

Compared to the first one? I really can't remember anything from the first film other than the boring 30 minute airport scene. 

Compared with other DC films? This is definitely tying with Birds of Prey as the best DCEU movie. Can't decide right now which one is better.

I would highly recommend this film!!

I'm so glad and grateful that WB, for the second time this year, took the hit and convinced cinemas to re-open for this!

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I'll say something that should've been obvious to anyone back then: it wouldn't have been a billion dollar movie before covid. It was just a wishful thinking of Warner Brothers and some folks around here.

That’s impossible to tell, so you can’t say. 

Anyway, this Roku deal is great news for HBOMax and especially this film. 46 million more potential households. 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

What does the multiverse have to do with anything?

The immediate future strategy for DC Films/Warners will likely be "let's make each movie and let it do its own thing, then come together when it's convenient" rather than "let's tie together everything in the same universe." 

1 hour ago, belblazer said:

Fan fact: The DCEU intro isn't in this. This one that started on the first movie in 2017

So I don't think they will use this anymore. The multiverse is real.

I’m kind of glad to be honest, I never liked that intro, it felt like something that belonged at the start of a video game like Injustice.

20 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Pretty sure the "dceu" never had an intro. Matter of fact, I don't think "dceu" has ever been used outside of the internet movie bubble

The name started off as a fan term, but HBO Max has used it in an official capacity to refer to these movies. Still, that intro was never used exclusively for movies in this continuity. It was also used in several television shows.