kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

42 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

But CM didn’t hit 1.1B because of female empowerment, it hit 1.1B because of 30 seconds at the end of a 2B grosser.

No argument there let's say end game added 200 million. I like that movie but it was mediocre and it still would have done $850 to $900 million.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

This is top tier comic book movie. Ever.

My gf had already set my expectations high for this but holy shit...I was not prepared.  I guess having not seen properly a movie, on the big or small screen, for a long time helped but this is a masterpiece.

Common question first...yes, I think it's better than the original, which is fantastic in its own rights.

To begin with, it was such a ballsy move on Jenkin's part to make a blockbuster that has little action. But this paid off in spades. The film is a character driven, emotionally investing epic. Yet it manages to be epic. It went bigger by going smaller. It's the characters that make it work.  

Before this, I only tested up with The Lion King back when I was 8 or something and with Interstellar. Until now these were the only two movies that achieved this. Now WW84 is only the third one. 

Diana's arc is so powerful and inspiring as it is relatable. There is no mean bone in this movie. No agenda. The love and passion of everyone involved feels like it transcends the screen. I honestly haven't seen a film that feels like the people behind it just wanted to celebrate filmmaking while crafting it.

And Gal Gadot is such a powerhouse in this. It's a demanding role and she did such a terrific job. All her naysayers, even those who remained after the first film, can suck it. She is literally superb in every way.

And the rest of the cast is amazing as well. Steve/Diana remain the top cbm couple to date (imo).

Just a little gripe, I find a thing (it's a spoiler) to be a bit uninspired but it's such minor thing that I rolled my eyes there and just forgot about it.

Also, Zimmer might just be freaking Apollo.

And if you were a fan of No Man's Land, this has two (or three) scenes that are equally powerful and inspiring. Gave me chills and even made me tear up.

9.5/10 fuck can't wait to see it again. 

Do you see in IMAX?

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I think this particular movie speaks to female empowerment a lot more than Captain marvel which did incredibly well. Additionally I think the production quality was expected to be very high-end with high praise and intense demand. I certainly don't think it's impossible that it would have been below 1 billion but I think it could have been higher too.

Captain Marvel had bulletproof MCU badge and Avengers "connection", Wonder Woman had nothing comparable on DC side. I even know people who didn't care about Captain Marvel as a movie, they just wanted to find out "connection". We live in times when people care about name and connection to huge property a lot more than about movie itself, as sad as it is.

Edited by Firepower

I think many folks here forget that first WW wasn't really that beloved overseas, it did alright, but not nearly as good as in the US and if you look at average audience ratings on foreign versions of imdb, it did like an average superhero flick. It just didn't really connect with foreign audiences to have big enough increase for 1 bln+ gross. Many of those countries have completely different mentality from the US, stuff like "female empowerment" and "girl power" mean absolutely nothing there even for women, there has to be something more than that.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I think many folks here forget that first WW wasn't really that beloved overseas, it did alright, but not nearly as good as in the US and if you look at average audience ratings on foreign versions of imdb, it did like an average superhero flick. It just didn't really connect with foreign audiences to have big enough increase for 1 bln+ gross. Many of those countries have completely different mentality from the US, stuff like "female empowerment" and "girl power" mean absolutely nothing there even for women, there has to be something more than that.

The concerning thing in this case is that the movie is doing noticeably worse in China and Japan than the first one did.  

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Captain Marvel had bulletproof MCU badge and Avengers "connection", Wonder Woman had nothing comparable on DC side. I even know people who didn't care about Captain Marvel as a movie, they just wanted to find out "connection". We live in times when people care about name and connection to huge property a lot more than about movie itself, as sad as it is.

The joker had nothing going for it either from a connection standpoint and despite the acting being phenomenal it was incredibly dark gritty and depressing yet it dominated.

Aquaman had horrible ties just coming after a dumpster fire Justice league and did excellent. Those connections don't mean near as much as you assume they do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

The joker had nothing going for it either from a connection standpoint and despite the acting being phenomenal it was incredibly dark gritty and depressing yet it dominated.

Aquaman had horrible ties just coming after a dumpster fire Justice league and did excellent. Those connections don't mean near as much as you assume they do

You are right about the fact there are different factors and connections don't always decide everything, but Captain Marvel would never ever make as much as Spider-Man: Far From Home without those connections, not even close. MCU is literally the only brand in the industry that's bulletproof, even Star Wars is not bulletproof anymore. DCEU doesn't have that power, maybe Christmas release pre-covid could increase WW1984 gross from the first one, but I just can't see 1+ bln dollar gross without some very unexpected legs or overperfomance in some key market.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

The concerning thing in this case is that the movie is doing noticeably worse in China and Japan than the first one did.  

ummm...we're are in a pandemic. Plus, this movie does not have the usual marketing push, premieres, talk shows etc

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

I'm late as fuck but jeez did AT&T let it come down to the wire with Roku

I can't believe Roku is $400 a share when they have no moat and frankly while I like their streaming product I have fire TV that works great. 

As for AT&T I feel like their stock is massively undervalued but deservingly so due to horrific management. Surely at some point HBO Max will not suck

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

Apparently the Chinese have the hots for Tom Hardy,  Jason Momoa and Vin Diesel.

Who can blame them?

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I can't believe Roku is $400 a share when they have no moat and frankly while I like their streaming product I have fire TV that works great. 

As for AT&T I feel like their stock is massively undervalued but deservingly so due to horrific management. Surely at some point HBO Max will not suck

I think Roku has a strong platform and basically is a bridge to everything that is happening on streaming world. They have moved from selling cheap hardware to basically ad and licensing play. Their trailing top line is double what was by end of 2018. 

That said I was looking at it since it dropped from 50 to 16 back in late 2017 and never bought it as I had the wrong perspective looking at it like a hardware play. 

Anyway HBO Max need to be on all platform for its growth. ROKU is the number 1 among streaming OS. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think Roku has a strong platform and basically is a bridge to everything that is happening on streaming world. They have moved from selling cheap hardware to basically ad and licensing play. Their trailing top line is double what was by end of 2018. 

That said I was looking at it since it dropped from 50 to 16 back in late 2017 and never bought it as I had the wrong perspective looking at it like a hardware play. 

Anyway HBO Max need to be on all platform for its growth. ROKU is the number 1 among streaming OS. 

Roku was a great stock but $340 a share when it doesn't make money is crazy. At least Tesla has a unique brand. Tesla proves roku could go on ahead another 500% easily while never making money

It's not hard to create a streaming OS. I'm not saying roku will fail, wish I had invested in it but I mean I loved it 10 years ago. Now meh. 

Apple, Amazon, Google, hell facebook might even wade in. So many ultra badass competitors 

Compare it to DocuSign and their competitors. Dinosaur Adobe and Hellosign (lmao)

Edited by cdsacken

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

ummm...we're are in a pandemic. Plus, this movie does not have the usual marketing push, premieres, talk shows etc

In case you hadn't noticed, Japan has just had its #1 box office record smashed by a new movie. safe to say the pandemic has not affected Japan box office sales.

That being said, we live in an age of global media and global promotion, and a lackluster release in the rest-of-the-world will inevitably have an impact on the film's success in Japan.

Anyone seriously suggesting that this wouldn't have hit the Basic Bitch $800M of the first movie, is just trolling.

31 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Anyone seriously suggesting that this wouldn't have hit the Basic Bitch $800M of the first movie, is just trolling.

Anyone suggesting that a sequel might do 100% of its first entry WW-C (that would probably be enough to miss 800) is trolling??? I would definitely take the over on 800 personally but the under is hardly out of the realm of the reasonable.

Edited by WandaLegion

2 hours ago, Avatree said:

In case you hadn't noticed, Japan has just had its #1 box office record smashed by a new movie. safe to say the pandemic has not affected Japan box office sales.

That being said, we live in an age of global media and global promotion, and a lackluster release in the rest-of-the-world will inevitably have an impact on the film's success in Japan.

Something i think people forget is that before MCU the idea that every movie would improve on the previous one just wasn't there. As it stands the only MCU movie to decrease from it's predecessor was Ultron (which increased overseas less than it decreased domestically) and people seem to be assuming that'll be the case for the DCEU.

• Like 1