kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

7 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

The concerning thing in this case is that the movie is doing noticeably worse in China and Japan than the first one did.  

That was expected.

1) Covid-19 is still keeping folks away from theatre. The biggest hits in China and Japan would have done much more if not for the present situation.

2) WB screwed up the marketing really bad by constantly delaying it and then deciding to release it with only 3 weeks of campaign time.

3) The trailers were kinda meh compared to the first. 

4) Overseas audience especially Asia didn't like the first movie all that much to return for a second time.

Still, I expect the wom to be good on this, so that it can take advantage of Christmas and new year to match if not beat the original in some markets. 

Edited by marveldcfox

15 hours ago, AndyK said:

Just seen it. :Gaga:👩‍🦲

Had, to leave it a while to process my thoughts.

I did like the movie, but not as much as the first.

There are some genuinely emotional scenes but also too much fan service that will leave those outside the Anglo Saxon world going "wtf".

These links to the comics just don't work in 2020.

I can understand why it is getting mixed reactions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

That was expected.

1) Covid-19 is still keeping folks away from theatre. The biggest hits in China and Japan would have done much more if not for the present situation.

2) WB screwed up the marketing really bad by constantly delaying it and then deciding to release it with only 3 weeks of campaign time.

3) The trailers were kinda meh compared to the first. 

4) Overseas audience especially Asia didn't like the first movie all that much to return for a second time.

Still, I expect the wom to be good on this, so that it can take advantage of Christmas and new year to match if not beat the original in some markets. 

It seems doubtful to me that Demon Slayer is being hurt all that much by Covid-19. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

I caught it in IMAX today with 5 friends

I felt it was great; mixed reactions from 3 of my friends though.

And i can definitely understand why people will be disappointed.. It is not the MCU cookie cutter style type of superhero film; and alot of effort (maybe too much?) was spent on built up and dialogue.

• Like 1

Queen Street Early Screening, 3 days before.

Wednesday 23rd December

7:00pm IMAX 201/301 (+9)

Albany, New Zealand - Seats Sold Wonder Woman 1984 - (3 days before early screenings, 6 days before opening day)

Wednesday 23rd December

7:00pm VMAX 132/185 (+3)

7;00pm VMAX 50/133 (+29)

Saturday 26th December

10:00am VMAX 4/133

10:45am VMAX 9/185

10:45am GC 11/30 (+3)

12:45pm GC 24/40 (+9)

1:15pm VMAX 14/133

2:00pm VMAX 17/185

2:00pm GC 21/30 (+8)

4:10pm GC 27/40 (+6)

4:30pm VMAX 4/133

5:15pm VMAX 14/185

5:15pm GC 25/30

7:30pm GC 32/40 (+2)

7:45pm VMAX 14/133 (+2)

8:30pm VMAX 32/185

8:30pm GC 20/30 (+2)

Total: 268/1552 (+32)

Slower day for the IMAX early showing, the new early VMAX showing is clearly cannibalising the old one but the new one is selling very well. As for Boxing Day sales most came from Gold Class which is good revenue wise but some of the VMAX numbers particularly in early sessions are starting to look average.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I know ive said the circumstances are different since we're in the middle of a pandemic, but WW84's performance in China is shocking

The audience in China didn’t like the movie, there’s really nothing else to say tbh. Not much you can do about it. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

The audience in China didn’t like the movie, there’s really nothing else to say tbh. Not much you can do about it. 

I'm reading some reviews on Imdb, which i consider a good barometer for the opinion of general population. Reviews are definitely mixed for english speakers too

19 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I'm reading some reviews on Imdb, which i consider a good barometer for the opinion of general population. Reviews are definitely mixed for english speakers too

I’ll be seeing it Xmas so I can judge then but I’m not worried about enjoy it. I know what to expect  going in with the tone change etc. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

I’ll be seeing it Xmas so I can judge then but I’m not worried about enjoy it. I know what to expect  going in with the tone change etc. 

I hope to like it too. I absolutely love the first one. I was in the 1B club before the pandemic, but seeing these reactions i don't think it would have done 1B

10 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I hope to like it too. I absolutely love the first one. I was in the 1B club before the pandemic, but seeing these reactions i don't think it would have done 1B

I think you’re letting that China box office affect your opinion a bit too much. IMDB ratings are average for a comic book movie. RT rating will probably end some where in the mid to low 80s (fingers crossed), so I think it would have been fine. Still think it would have made a billion. But yeah, I can see why people would think it wouldn’t. It’s something we will never know. I just don’t think one can underestimate the pomp and circumstance before a big movie opens and how the lack of it can affect the movie’s performance. What movie will be the first to a billion after the pandemic? I’ll be interested to see. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

What movie will be the first to a billion after the pandemic? I’ll be interested to see. 

Optimistic: BW

Realistic : Eternals

Pessimistic: Spider-man

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1