kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Great trailer but its easy to see why the trailer views might not have blown up. Theres no novelty. Its Gal Gadot and Chris Pine, bright colors, cool soundtrack, and slow mo. All stuff people loved from the first. However theres nothing really new that would make people put it on repeat.

Usually when a trailer for a CBM movie blows up its for a character's first movie (Venom, Cap Marvel, Joker, Aquaman, Black Widow etc.) Or some new character like Baby Groot or a reboot of the franchise like Thor Ragnarok. 

Now these is one huge thing that Patty Jenkins and WB still have in the bag and thats the Cheetah reveal. I feel this will be like the Venom where it didn't blow up in views till they showed the symbiote in the 2nd trailer. 

Trailer views/likes chatter is ok, but in the end the quality of the movie is what matters. WW84 has enough hype to blow up if the movie is as good as the first one. WW is not some indie movie that needs to be noticed. Most people know it's coming. The Mummy 2017 had amazing number of views/likes and it still bombed. So yeah, if the WW84 quality is there, then the sky's the limit

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I noticed that the shots of the mall scene and the shot where Wonder Woman runs super fast looked different from the rest of the trailer. I thought I could see film grain there so I guess its the scene that was shot in 70mm IMAX? I'm not sure if its film grain or just shitty youtube quality tbh,

@lorddemaxus

70MM IMAX is larger film format so the grain is actually finer and harder to see than 35MM. Even with certain film stocks of 35MM, grain isn't necessarily apparent in a way we associate with film but it does give it that wonderful texture you get with film and how it capture the light//colours. Lenses also go a long way in giving it that look.  

As far as I can tell a majority of WW84 is shot on 35MM, 70MM IMAX for specific sequences (don't know which ones yet but I imagine that running sequence/larger set pieces will use 70MM IMAX, like you said it's hard to tell on a compressed YouTube video), and Digital cameras will be employed (likely in a similar way to the first film for specific shots/pick ups/reshoots/some action or slow-mo shots).

So pretty similar to the first film which was mostly 35MM but with the addition of 70MM IMAX which I'm really excited about. Hopefully it gets a release in the format. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

@lorddemaxus

70MM IMAX is larger film format so the grain is actually finer and harder to see than 35MM. Even with certain film stocks of 35MM, grain isn't necessarily apparent in a way we associate with film but it does give it that wonderful texture you get with film and how it capture the light//colours. Lenses also go a long way in giving it that look.  

As far as I can tell a majority of WW84 is shot on 35MM, 70MM IMAX for specific sequences (don't know which ones yet but I imagine that running sequence/larger set pieces will use 70MM IMAX, like you said it's hard to tell on a compressed YouTube video), and Digital cameras will be employed (likely in a similar way to the first film for specific shots/pick ups/reshoots/some action or slow-mo shots).

So pretty similar to the first film which was mostly 35MM but with the addition of 70MM IMAX which I'm really excited about. Hopefully it gets a release in the format. 

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

I have mixed emotions regarding this trailer:

On the one hand I was a bit underwhelmed after seeing it, on the other I love many seperate things in it.

When I watch a trailer I want to understand what the movie is about and see some satisfying action scenes,

this trailer gave random scenes and just small glimpses of action sequences (which is very annoying when it's lasting no more than 3-4secs).

Also seeing Wonder Woman using only her lasso so many times reached a boring point for me.

I understand it would be ridiculous to see her with a shield and a sword in the 80s, but it's a shame they didn't add something

else instead.

It seems Patty Jenkins wanted to create a "real" 80s film, so I think it can either be a really good movie or a really bad one,

just like the 80s films.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ohana said:

When I watch a trailer I want to understand what the movie is about and see some satisfying action scenes

I mean...it's a trailer? And the first one at that? The whole point is to be a tease, to announce the movie to the world at large and give an idea of visual style, tone, quick action beats, etc.

Some action movies will open a trailer with an extended action sequence (say 30 seconds or so), but those are better saved for a second trailer, closer to release, to spike up the hype and it also allows for more post-production work, to make said scene look better.

As for what the movie is about - again, I don't know exactly what you want from it. It's not explaining the whole plot, but what's there seems fairly clear. Like, even without an understanding of the Max Lord character (I just recognize the name, nothing more), I gathered from his "You can have everything you wish for, just gotta take it" spiel, with the "and I get to have what I want in return" line that he has some way to make wishes come true and it appears he makes a deal with Diana, for Steve's return (whether she understands the deal or not remains to be seen). This also seems to play broader, with him using this wish-granting mcguffin to try and go for more power, thus clarifying him as the antagonist.

A second trailer will probably have a more linear narrative, giving a clearer explanation of the underlining conflict, as well as introducing Cheetah as a second antagonist.

Don't get me wrong - I agree with you in principal. I think most movies need one trailer that follows a more classic narrative structure, to show off more than the style, but the announcement/teaser trailer is not that one trailer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jedi Jat said:

If original had 4x legs, doesn't mean sequel will be 3x plus too, right. @a2k throw more light.

I think it will have legs par other CBM sequels.

If legs fall by the same ratio as :

GOTG1 to GOTG2 WW84 gets 3.0x (2.66/3.525*4.0)
AM1 to AM2 gets 3.63x (2.86/3.15*4.0)

TA1 to TA2 gets 3.2x (2.39/3.0*4.0)

IM1 (removing 3.5 Thu from dom - 98.6 ow, 315.0 dom) to IM2 it gets to 3.0x (2.44/3.2*4.0)

IM1 (adding 3.5 Thu to ow - 102.1 ow, 318.6 dom) to IM2 it gets 3.1x (2.44/3.12*4.0)

SM1/2 opened differently. Same for SMH-FFH, Thor1/2.

Thor3's legs increased upon Thor2. Same for TA3/TA2. CA1/2 also stayed flat.

Don't know how WW84 will behave but 2.8-3.3x is my guess depending on how bigger the ow is and how lower the reception is.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

A second trailer will probably have a more linear narrative, giving a clearer explanation of the underlining conflict, as well as introducing Cheetah as a second antagonist.

The first Wonder Woman trailer at Comic Con is the perfect example I can give

It was very well structured, but I guess you're right

The 2nd trailer will probably be much more about the actual plot.

BTW - I forgot to mention that I was very disappointed they didn't end the trailer with the WW theme from BvS / first movie.

I was sure they will play it in some new 80s version of it.

Just now, Ohana said:

The first Wonder Woman trailer at Comic Con is the perfect example I can give

It was very well structured, but I guess you're right

The 2nd trailer will probably be much more about the actual plot.

BTW - I forgot to mention that I was very disappointed they didn't end the trailer with the WW theme from BvS / first movie.

I was sure they will play it in some new 80s version of it.

I think the first WW needed a more classic narrative style for the trailer, due to the baggage it had going into it. And especially after the SS great style/no substance trailers and bad movie, I think there was extra fear that going down that same route with WW would lead to even more reticence. 

With this, they can build on the goodwill and have fun with the teaser trailer. To that end, the song is fantastic, and having it run throughout the trailer is probably my favorite aspect of it. Breaking it up to do - even an 80's synth version - of the WW theme from BvS would not have worked.

Again, I'm 100% sure the next trailer will have a different style and we'll also hear the theme.

1 hour ago, LegionofDoom said:

WW84 is going to be fantastic but it's also true that trailer is cut in a very weird way. 

It was cut to fit the music and, as such, the editing was pretty fantastic.

Trailer did its job, getting a very good reception on social media and theres is 6 months to build to release, they are not going to give much away in the teaser.

• Like 3