Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

really one of the only reasons a lot of old ass movies get put on a pedestal is that there was no internet for assholes to whine about every little fucking thing to prove that they were smarter than the movie or some bullshit. back then people just idk chopped wood to pass the time or whatever. 

It’s like the new Star Wars. Most of the fan complaints are complaints I have about the old movies.

Two numbers are very important here.

$56,731,532

The first one. Its the second Saturday of TFA, the biggest second Saturday gross of all time. And it was massively helped by the fact that it was Boxing Day, so it had the holiday bonus.

For IW, to reach this number it would need a jump of 80.5% which is pretty much impossible like @ZeeSoh mentioned.

The other number should be the target:

$47,553,478

This is obviously Black Panthers second Sat, the 2nd biggest 2nd Saturday of all time. IW would need a jump of 51,2%, which is very much possible.

And just as a reminder: Anything around and especially above this second number should NEVER be called disappointing. Operating just under the level of the juggernaut TFA and on par/above the cultural phenomenon Black Panther is amazing and nothing else.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

KA-LI-MAAAAA. KA-LI-MAAAAAA!

Now you'll be hearing it in your head all day you're welcome.

Haha

I can see now why they have decided to go safe with last crusade.

I'm really enjoying this movie, the set pieces are great. Just those minor quarrels with the beginning and stuff.

Edited by ThiagoMaia

4 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

The last crusade > Raiders bc it has Sean Connery in it. Sean Connery is so fycking hysterical in it.

I don't put Raiders on a special pedestal. It's great, but so is Last Crusade. They are equal IMHO. Both very enjoyable adventure movies. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AJG said:

People complained about Indy surviving a nuke in a fridge, but he also survived a waterfall in an uninflated inflatable boat in the old film and these people said nothing.

1) No internet

2) Most the current Indy fanbase were teens or kids back then.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Dunno if ur being serious or not but that would require a 90% jump which no MCU movie has ever had. The highest I couls find was 69% of GotG2. Rest all had increases in the range of 45-65%. There is absolutely no way this touches 60. 

And there is a difference between being bold and insane. Predictions should be based on data, trends and precedents not wild hope

Yeah, not being entirely serious...and agree on difference between bold and insane.  I do think that line is often improperly defined on this board though where the unlikely is called "impossible." 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Dunno if ur being serious or not but that would require a 90% jump which no MCU movie has ever had. The highest I couls find was 69% of GotG2. Rest all had increases in the range of 45-65%. There is absolutely no way this touches 60. 

And there is a difference between being bold and insane. Predictions should be based on data, trends and precedents not wild hope

For the sake of discussion:

Has there ever been an MCU movie this long?  It’s a full half hour longer than BP.  That has to have an impact on Friday gross potential.  Look at The Fellowship of the Ring’s post-holiday Friday to Saturday bumps.  Pretty much 90-100%

To be clear, I agree that predicting a 60M Saturday is not substantiated by a ton of data, but it’s also not completely unprecedented for really long movies, is it?

Edited by LinksterAC
  • Like 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Raiders is basically perfect. Boring take maybe but c'mon. 

The effects are now a bit silly but at the same time kinda charming. I consider Raiders to be one of the few films who are objectively flawless.

1 minute ago, LinksterAC said:

Has there ever been an MCU movie this long?  It’s a full half hour longer than BP.  

It's more like 10 minutes. Ultron and CW both 140-150 minutes too.

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Raiders is basically perfect. Boring take maybe but c'mon. 

it's spielberg's best movie IMO. i already ranked all of them in a thread pretty recently maybe when RP1 came out but i'm just gonna say Raiders is the best and Lost World is the worst.

3 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Has there ever been an MCU movie this long?  It’s a full half hour longer than BP.  That has to have an impact on Friday gross potential.  Look at the Fellowship of the Ring’s post-holiday Friday to Saturday bumps.  Pretty much 90-100%

To be clear, I agree that predicting a 60M Saturday is not substantiated by a ton of data, but it’s also not completely unprecedented for really long movies, is it?

Panther - 134

infinity war - 149

so half of a half hour.

Edited by CoolioD1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's spielberg's best movie IMO. i already ranked all of them in a thread pretty recently maybe when RP1 came out but i'm just gonna say Raiders is the best and Lost World is the worst.

Poor-Eddie-jurassic-park-39989879-500-27

No.