Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

This just put even more pressure on Episode IX to deliver. First Episode without any of the main OT characters. That'll be the test on whether Disney/Lucasfilm have done a good job of transitioning the franchise into a new era or not.

But yeah of course Star Wars isn't dead though if I were Disney any plans of releasing two Star Wars films a year I would take a long look at after Solo's numbers come out. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

This just put even more pressure on Episode IX to deliver. First Episode without any of the main OT characters. That'll be the test on whether Disney/Lucasfilm have done a good job of transitioning the franchise into a new era or not.

Come on we all know Luke'll be back as a force ghost. 

• Like 1

You can't kill SW as a brand, because Nostalgia and certain themes come back again and again in waves of certain timeframes. Solo is a wake up call and nothing else. Even the greatest things need some breaks to stay something special. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Star Wars isn't going anywhere. If JL bombing didn't kill the DCU, then Solo bombing sure won't kill Star Wars. As @baumer said the first 3 films all made over 1billion. 

JL bombing killed and/or modified a lot of films in development though. Solo bombing (can we actually say that yet?) would certainly change how they go about, say, a Boba Fett or Yoda spin off.

2 minutes ago, Uzice said:

To be fair, international numbers don't matter very much in this case. Star Wars has always been about domestic numbers.

Bull, this is a super expensive movie and it's going to need over 450mil in North America for those numbers not to matter and nobody believes that it will do that well. Nobody.

2 hours ago, REC said:

Which is actually 6.5/10 average, if you discount the RT weighted-upward averaging system.  Among top critics its worse, being a 62% or 6.1 average.

With user scores at 56% and top critics at 62%, everyone seems to be much closer in agreement on this one than they were on TLJ.  Basically a mediocre film, critically speaking.

once again, a CESS POOL of hatred 

1 minute ago, Uzice said:

To be fair, international numbers don't matter very much in this case. Star Wars has always been about domestic numbers.

It can't rely on only domestic dollars to sustain itself though. TFA, RO, and TLJ still had good-to-decent OS numbers, thanks largely in part by Europe and Japan. But it's shrinking fast in Latin America and Asia, which are key markets now. Even in key European markets it's doing horrendously right now. Something's gotta change and I'll bet one of them is not making every movie in the 200 million range. 

Just now, Poseidon said:

You can't kill SW as a brand, because Nostalgia and certain themes come back again and again in waves of certain timeframes. Solo is a wake up call and nothing else. Even the greatest things need some breaks to stay something special. 

I think the problem is that the nostalgia is based on a few key characters (Darth Vader, Luke, Leia, Han played by Harrison Ford), and well, they're all gone in the story. R2, C3PO, Chewbecca, the Falcon, etc are just seasoning.

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Oh for sure but I feel that's not going to boost the appeal of Episode IX that much. 

If they market Luke's inevitable force ghost right it will.

1 minute ago, Hunch said:

JL bombing killed and/or modified a lot of films in development though. Solo bombing (can we actually say that yet?) would certainly change how they go about, say, a Boba Fett or Yoda spin off.

For the last time, I know what happened with DC, stop telling me crap that I already know. I NEVER claimed that massive changes weren't made because obviously their were. 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

How many people have actually said SW is dead?

saying some of the planned trilogies/spin offs won’t happen and Episode 9 will decrease again is not saying the franchise as a whole is dead 

Right? Star Wars is still alive.

It just might not reach the heights of all consuming uber blockbuster OT/Phantom Menace/Sith (domestic)/2015-2017 levels again.

1 minute ago, Hunch said:

I think the problem is that the nostalgia is based on a few key characters (Darth Vader, Luke, Leia, Han played by Harrison Ford), and well, they're all gone in the story. R2, C3PO, Chewbecca, the Falcon, etc are just seasoning.

Star Wars has always been a very American or English-centric franchise. 

Sci-fi has a lot more potential, and indeed, SW could've gone there, but unfortunately it's bogged down now with safety first sequellization. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Yeah, Deadlines projection of a $10m 4-D on the low end was quite comical as well. 

It made ZERO sense since it's been keeping pace with IW this week so why would it make half lol 

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

If they market Luke's inevitable force ghost right it will.

Luke's gonna have like 3 scenes max, it's not gonna magically sell the sequel to a very divisive movie where the biggest complaint was the handling of Luke's character.

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

For the last time, I know what happened with DC, stop telling me crap that I already know. I NEVER claimed that massive changes weren't made because obviously their were. 

:WHATanabe:

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

And book club just stayed flat from Wednesday to Thursday. That might end up being the movie and the story of the summer. Now I'm getting greedy and hoping for a 5 multiplier.

It's on 22.4 after 2 on thu. 3-day should stay flat from the ow or even rise a bit:

3.75 (+87.5%) + 5.15 (+37.5%) + 4.9 (-5.5%) + 4.1 (-17%) = 13.8 3-day / 17.9 4-day

so 22.4 + 17.9 = 40.3 cume. 28 away from 68 dom (5x the ow).

looks very much on cards unless my 13.8 2nd weekend is over-optimistic.

EDIT: Deadline's 4-day projection (early) is less than my 3-day, so I may certainly have gone over-board :lol:

Edited by A2k Raptor