Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, vc2002 said:

Will Solo's downhill affect SW9 in any way? I mean, it sure looks like Solo is leaving the audience a bad taste.

Well I’ll it will help dilute the brand anymore and it doesn’t look like it is exactly exciting people too much 

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

If this hits 100M 3-day after all of this, it's going to be kind of a letdown in terms of box office surprises.    

Still, much better for something to salvage itself out of being a historic run than underperform down into being a historic run.

yeah it will be similar to JL but with Sunday boost and better Mon. JL got the Thanksgiving boost later. Still should leg it better than JL, 100*2.65=265 or so I guess.

25 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

ezgif_com_crop.gif

If the PR spin is going to put out is to blame Memorial Day, then why in the world would they release it on Memorial Day?  Knowing the headwinds this holiday supposedly creates for them.  And with every projection prior to a week ago saying this was going to be big.  This is spin/damage control of the most transparent and lazy kind.  It doesn't add up and it's obvious it doesn't add up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, A2k Raptor said:

yeah it will be similar to JL but with Sunday boost and better Mon. JL got the Thanksgiving boost later. Still should leg it better than JL, 100*2.65=265 or so I guess.

I honestly think JL is the Dom benchmark here.  It may have slightly better critic reviews, but it's got worse user reviews.  JL did 230m Dom, I'm wondering if it can beat that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Lol

What? Even Pacific Rim got a sequel. And it made less than 500m on a big budget. Disney can afford another try.

Edited by Uzice

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol. Your "optimistic predictions" all these months told everyone they were idiots for thinking this could ever possibly lose money. Now it will be a miracle if it somehow manages to make 1m in profit. 

9 minutes ago, Noctis said:

No it's not. This is a money loser. Sit your ass down.

4 minutes ago, Litio said:

Were you waiting RTH show up with numbers to comment? I thought you had a source. :hahaha:

I love it, the negative angry toddlers aren't having as much fun now.  

They totally don't care though, right @MovieMan89?

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

More optimistic than 24 hours ago. Context matters 

24 hours ago was before the previews were known. Sub $100m 3D was not a very common opinion back then.

I think $37m-$40m is exactly what you should have expected after the previews. 

It's a better Preview/OD ratio that RO had, yeah, but it's also on a way lower level overall.
In the end, it's pretty much Justice League-Ballpark and that one diden't turn out too well either overall. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, REC said:

I honestly think JL is the Dom benchmark here.  It may have slightly better critic reviews, but it's got worse user reviews.  JL did 230m Dom, I'm wondering if it can beat that.

All it has working to its advantage right now is two weeks of no direct competition. Of course that's never helped memorial day openers in their second weekend before. The first week of June is always barren and bigger MD openers still always drop 65% like clockwork. So basically it all comes down to it having some amazing 3rd weekend hold. Not much potential for legs otherwise. 

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

24 hours ago was before the previews were known. Sub $100m 3D was not a very common opinion back then.

I think $37m-$40m is exactly what you should have expected after the previews. 

It's a better Preview/OD ratio that RO had, yeah, but it's also on a way lower level overall.

I had it here too, but the first part of this thread had some garbage takes. Like 65 mil 3 day kinda garbage 

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I love it, the negative angry toddlers aren't having as much fun now.  

They totally don't care though, right @MovieMan89?

Not sure what misguided point your wrong ass is trying to prove anymore. Yep, as someone who's followed the box office since I was a teen, I find it very interesting to witness the biggest franchise collapse ever from a movie's predecessor. But keep attempting to divert the attention from how hard you've fallen on your ass with TWO Star Wars films in a row with irrelevant comments, it's most amusing. 

Image result for james franco wink

Edited by MovieMan89

32 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

*sigh*, always with the negative waves. Solo a flop? Who cares honey? All Kathleen has to do is to go forward with the new Rian S(j)W trilogy. The PC is strong with the modern Star Wars movie. So they simply have to cut the white male roles down to ten percent (only on the force side of course, the baddies all have to be white males - ok, including maybe one or two females, because a woman can be whatever she wants to be), bring on some strong women in leadership roles (preferably with some lesbian relationships included) and make the males among the good folk look like dorks, powerhungry idiots or incompetent fools. Well, only the straight ones of course, the gay ones are cool and will be among our background heroes that help bringing unbalance to the force. Yes, unbalance! It's unacceptable that positives and negatives are in balance; that's like saying right wing people have the same right on free speech as left wing ones. Positivity ALWAYS has to be in full reign! Bring out all this strong modern factors in full force (ha-ha, "force", you understand?) and you'll have three crowdpleasers, that will make 4-5 billions ww easily, no sweat. Lucidly Story? Overrated! Angry Star Wars fans? Bitch, please! Everybody who does not stand behind these necessary and overdue changes in blockbuster and event movie making is a fiend to modern society and should be ridiculed.

Go-go-go Kathy-baby! Bring it on Rian!

Ok, enough of this lukewarm satire. As 4 Solo... it was ok. Not going to see it a second time, besides ppv. But that's already an improvement over the  abomination I watched a few months ago. And fwiw: the cinema was packed. And the people seemed to enjoy the movie. Which normally is the sign of a successful movie.

I think BKB has an alt guys.  Totally incognito about it

I think EmpireCity's numbers are probably gonna be the closer ones (even if they are awful numbers, still).

I mean, in just an evening, it made $14M yesterday...so if you consider that they would probably sell at least the same evening sales (with many being presold, since Friday night is a huge preseller), that means matinees only needed to make about $9-$12M for showings from 9am-6pm...that's still tragically low, but pretty doable when you have 3-4 screens/theater at 4300 theaters and vasts swaths of schools out and workplaces closed early...I mean, if that's not doable, pack up and go home now...

I still think $32-$33M was the funnier epic catastrophe, but $18M real Friday after $14M in previews - has anything ever been that catastrophic for a true Friday portion of full Friday?  (Don't answer that, b/c this movie could still be that one if 10pms and laters are ghost towns vs last night - although they were pretty empty last night:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It is funny how people are now acting like this is some kind of success 

People who are ignoring the absolutely dire international numbers. Solo is going to need to hit 450mil domestic to save face. If this were a DC film none of this hand-wringing would be happening. Everyone would just except that it's a hilarious flop.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not sure what misguided point your wrong ass is trying to prove anymore. Yep, as someone who's followed the box office since I was a teen, I find it very interesting to witness the biggest franchise collapse ever from a movie's predecessor. But keep attempting to divert the attention from how hard you've fallen on your ass with TWO Star Wars films in a row with irrelevant comments, it's most amusing. 

Image result for james franco wink

I’m pretty sure @EmpireCity has been more accurate than you with 95-100% of the films he’s said anything about so?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

I had it here too, but the first part of this thread had some garbage takes. Like 65 mil 3 day kinda garbage 

That's whats wrong with the world at the moment. People get too involved with people stating the extremes, even though they are in a vast minority. 

Those people just don't matter, they are trolls and have no intention to discuss the beautiful topic of box office numbers. Just ignore them.

Solo is still underperforming, though. There's not too much positive right now going on, when you were a believer of that $400m talk, that was never going to happen with those low trailer views and the lacking buzz. 

• Like 1