Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

6 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Wasn’t your Infinity War predict closer to 300m than 250m for example.  That breaking the record is the one thing I remember you calling right, and EC still hit that one on the head closer so?

EC rarely gives actual predictions of his own that don't have to do with access to the numbers he gets. My OW prediction for IW was 288m for months, I posted so several times. Sure I was 30m off, but my prediction was based on pure foresight and having my finger on the popular pulse. EC didn't start spouting numbers until we got close enough to release for him to have insider data he could use. So?

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I have no beef with Empire City, I honestly don't see this bad guy that some see. Has he gotten some things wrong? Sure and he admits to that so I don't see what the big deal is.

Same. But people just like to pick arguments for the sake of arguing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, REC said:

Star wars is always a hit.  Star wars can never flop, it can never fail.  Only the audience can fail Star wars.

Star wars cannot be betrayed. Star Wars cannot be beaten. :croaks:

9hyke6xfnx401.png

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Btw I don't understand why there is even talk of Star Wars being scrapped. Solo could have made $70M 3-day and shit over seas and Star Wars movies are still happening. If that's an argument you're trying to make please see yourself out the door. 

Well until Lucas decided to ca$h out and sold the rights, there weren't going to be any more Star Wars films. Revenge of the Sith was it. Then Hollywood entered its all-franchises-all-the-time stage and here we are. But if they stop being profitable, of course they will stop making them.

The average Star Wars movie costs about $200-$250m now and they need to make over $700m WW per film to justify that cost. If they dip below that on average, either the budget get slashed and the films are much more low key, or they shelve the series. I'm not saying it will happen, but nothing is impossible.

I have not been here all day but I can only imagine what is going on in the thread right now LOL. Haters are celebrating and many many people are probably calling this the end of Star Wars. Well I have news for you guys. Every franchise it's allowed one or two not so great moments. I don't really think Star Wars is had that yet and even if this one comes in under 500 million the last three movies they released have done around 3.5 billion. I'm sure Star Wars will be just fine. As for the movie itself I liked it and I thought everybody was very good in there and I enjoyed the action and Chewbacca was great and it did its job. I just don't know if it's going to be a film I will ever see again.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Nova said:

I always find it funny when people throw out the toy sales when a movie is underperforming. As if the Star Wars (or any franchise) toys weren't going to sell with or without the film. The brand is bigger than the movie. So yes of course it's going to sell toys. But when it comes to making profit from a movie standpoint directly, I don't know why toys are added in there.  

Usually movies are not this close together and a franchise toy sales jump the year a movie get released:

mattel1b.jpg

The Star Wars merchandise sales exploded when movie started to be released again, it is because of them

It was big without movies:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-record-toy-revenue-96809

But no where close to what they become around Awaken.

Now when you have an ongoing franchise like this, it is much harder to know the impact of an individual movie (say even if you look at toys specific to the movie, maybe the buyer would have still bought something Star Wars instead from the previous movie).

Toys, video game (and Park's often) will be taken into account by the studio, but usually not by the price and us because it is too hard to know, specially for ongoing franchise.

But anyway, this in big part why people value domestic box office so much, because it is the biggest toys market.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

And book club just stayed flat from Wednesday to Thursday. That might end up being the movie and the story of the summer. Now I'm getting greedy and hoping for a 5 multiplier.

Doing my summer RT tracking again, just for fun. Here we are so far:

2018 Summer Films RT Watch (Wide-Release — May/June/July/August)

1. Tully — 87% — 7.7 rating
2. Deadpool 2 — 82% — 7.0 rating
3. Solo: A Star Wars Story — 71% — 6.4 rating
4. Book Club — 57% — 5.5 rating
5. Bad Samaritan — 53% — 5.7 rating
6. Life of the Party — 38% — 5.0 rating
7. Overboard — 28% — 4.3 rating
8. Breaking In — 25% — 4.2 rating
9. Show Dogs — 18% — 3.0 rating

Last two summers for comparison:

2017 — 42 wide-release films

• 18 fresh, 24 rotten
  • 80% or higher: 14 films
  • 8.0+ rating: 4 films (Dunkirk, The Big Sick, War for the Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver)

2016 — 42 wide-release films

• 20 fresh, 22 rotten
  • 80% or higher: 9 films
  • 8.0+ rating: 1 film (Kubo and the Two Strings)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

This is late May, though, not mid november.

Indiana Jones 4 had a 19,5% jump 10 years ago with a full thursday taking the pressure off its friday, I don't think Solo will top this.

Yeah, my thinking as well. Last year Pirates 5 had a 13% jump mine a previews, so I'd anticipate Solo will be 15% at most.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

People who are ignoring the absolutely dire international numbers. Solo is going to need to hit 450mil domestic to save face. If this were a DC film none of this hand-wringing would be happening. Everyone would just except that it's a hilarious flop.

To be fair, international numbers don't matter very much in this case. Star Wars has always been about domestic numbers.

Just now, grim22 said:

Cmon people, I have packing to get done and other mods are either on mobile or not available. After consultation with the mods, @MovieMan89 and @EmpireCity are threadbanned for pages of fights, trolling, name calling and generally taking the thread way off topic.

EmpireCity died to destroy Jormugander erm MovieMan89.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Uzice said:

To be fair, international numbers don't matter very much in this case. Star Wars has always been about domestic numbers.

I mean, they do matter when the film cost $400m after production and marketing and it needs to recoup that money.