Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

for some reason the prevailing notion everywhere else seems to be that Justice League is the bigger bomb than this. Why? 

Because JL is a DCEU film. People consider SS and BvS flops even though they both made money for their studio which should tell you everything you need to know. 

Han Solo is a Disney film and Disney can't do no wrong so just like with AWIT they're going to spin it into something positive and come up with excuses for their bombing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, John Marston said:

for some reason the prevailing notion everywhere else seems to be that Justice League is the bigger bomb than this. Why? 

Probably cause the easiest comparison is to Avengers which made $1.5b. Whereas Solo: Rogue One is... Maybe a little less sad looking? 

32 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Surprised ? They pretty much cancelled the release in many market, they knew all that.

So the movie was someone's hubris by the look of it. Nobody had faith in its BO prospect then, if it was cancelled in many markets. They couldn't possibly expect dom to recoup the budget? 

Justice League and Solo are both megaflops.

However, one of them managed a Worldwide gross that is at least not totally embarrassing in raw numbers.

The other one...well...it wont.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Lucasfilm basically exists to put out yearly Star Wars movies. Disney didn't buy to let them bide their time and rest. I really doubt there's a slowdown, but there will obviously be changes in strategy and the mouse will be breathing down their necks from here on out

Time to reboot Indiana Jones after the 5th one so they can release one of those every 2 years.

The fact Marvel was able to re-capture the zeitgeist a second time in 6 years, with even bigger results OS is mind-boggling to me.

A 2B WW grosser, are you kidding me ?

The IW poster still looks ludicrous to me, a gazillion characters was a recipe for disaster and yet they managed to pull it off brilliantly.

The way they have patiently building IW, block after block is now stuff of Hollywood legends.

How do you know you are someone in Hollywood right now ?

You have the personal phone number of Kevin Feige.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

38 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Cleopatra oddly was very successful at the box office, it was number 1 film that year but the budget meant it could never make a profit, they simply spent too much money.

Cleopatra adjust to a 460m domestic box office run on a 350m budget, would be not bad now a day with international market.

Apparently Fox turned a profit 4-5 year's later with it's ABC tv run. The giant flop aura surrounding some old movies were in part of a press tradition to only look domestic box office and that grew in a time when the only possible revenues for a movie was the box office. Cleopatra domestic rental was a bit lower than it's expense but not by much.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Because JL is a DCEU film. People consider SS and BvS flops even though they both made money for their studio which should tell you everything you need to know. 

I get BvS because $872m on a $250m budget isn't great but not SS because $745m on a $175m budget is fantastic considering it wasn't released in China, films with the same or higher budgets which have made $100-200m less are considered successful like Kong or RPO.

I used to only care about if a movie was good or not.

And the experience of watching it.

Since I discovered this forum I also want the movies I like to have a good BO run and the movies that I dislike to bomb.

And I have to say the I'm quite sad about the Solo numbers

:whosad:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Han Solo is a Disney film and Disney can't do no wrong so just like with AWIT they're going to spin it into something positive and come up with excuses for their bombing. 

Nailed it. And I don't even like the DC films outside of Wonder Woman and Man of Steel.

• Like 1

one excuse I've been seeing online is that Solo "wasn't really a Star Wars film" 

bullshit! Solo trailers showed off the Millennium  Falcon. TIE fighters, Chewie and had the Star Wars theme. Everyone knew it was a Star Wars film

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The fact Marvel was able to re-capture the zeitgeist a second time in 6 years, with even bigger results OS is mind-boggling to me.

A 2B WW grosser, are you kidding me ?

The IW poster still looks ludicrous to me, a gazillion characters was a recipe for disaster and yet they managed to pull it off brilliantly.

The way they have patiently building IW, block after block is now stuff of Hollywood legends.

How do you know you are someone in Hollywood right now ?

You have the personal phone number of Kevin Feige.

Marvel's build a massive audience OS over the years and now it's paying off. Meanwhile SW is rapidly losing audience OS.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I think Ron Howard would be better suited for a Falcon or War Machine movie. 

Hm, I don't know. Peter Parker & Scott Lang always appealed as the most "human" super heroes to me, all with their daily struggles and problems. If I remember Howard's portfolio correctly, those kind of characters would fit his movie telling style like a glove. I'd agree that Falcon and Warmachine are also more human superheroes, but there isn't really much background about them besides Falcon being a smartass (in a positive way) and Warmachine being part of the military complex. Hawkeye would also be a good character for him, but I'll guess such a movie would flop harder than Solo, given that Renner get's much heat for his acting and Hawkeye being not especially well-liked by the audience.

Edited by incognitoo
typo

1 minute ago, RascarCapat said:

I used to only care about if a movie was good or not.

And the experience of watching it.

Since I discovered this forum I also want the movies I like to have a good BO run and the movies that I dislike to bomb.

And I have to say the I'm quite sad about the Solo numbers

:whosad:

This forum is the best. Nothing compares on the net. It combines two things i love: movies and numbers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Even still, I thought reports were saying 250? Where did they get 300 reports? 

I am unsure where they get "reported" number for a case like this.

Industry competitor talking to them, evaluating what it would have cost them to do this mixed with some talk in the industry ?

Some contact in the insurance company that insure those production or state tax credit bureau ?

I imagine there is a short but still long enough list of people that do not work for the studio itself that see some or the complete numbers that could be talking to them.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1