Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

After the ludicrous click bait title does he deserve to have his article read?

To be fair, the editor of the webstie, not the author,might have picked the headline.

38 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Scott Mendelson finally figured it out! It’s not the holiday or hot weather or TLJ backlash. Thread’s over folks.

5_CB9_C88_B_5_DA8_46_C9_834_A_DC00_E1_DF

I wonder if he is being a parody poe mocking guys like Perlmutter who make arguments like this about women/minorities.

• Like 1

Please tell me this Scott Mendelson guy doesn't write these articles for a living.

It s a blog, a hobby, right ?

He has a legit job elswhere obviously that doens't require too much brain muscles.

21 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I wondering have you read the article ?

Did Solo: A Star Wars Story disappoint because it had a white male lead? Would that it were so simple!

It is ironic that the first failure of the new Star Wars era is the one with a white guy in the starring role. Moreover, Solo: A Star Wars Story tanked harder overseas than in North America.

the entire article is dissecting a movie success or failure based on the lead gender, of course he doesn't blame the for it entirely, he wasn't a dumb too to know that he has to diversify his argument for defensive measure.

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

AIW is struggling to make 2B cause of white men! INFINITY FLOP! AWIT bombed cause of Chris Pine! 

I guess since the 3 biggest characters in this movie are white(SoLow, Clarke, and Harrelson) he can't blame these numbers on sexist nerds, the alt-right, or MAGA douches, especially since it bombed everywhere not just in the US.  That crowd's brains must be hurting right now, they can't figure it out!  B-b-b-but TLJ got 90% on RT wtf bro!

Edited by Ozymandias

3 minutes ago, Istealnames said:

I wonder if he is being a parody poe mocking guys like Perlmutter who make arguments like this about women/minorities.

There's no reason to stay current by mocking long-gone Pearlmutter so I'd say he's just a clickbaiter who unintentionally sounds like a Emo Kylo Ren and other parody accounts. 

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

All articles are just blaming the release date or “fatigue”. Ignoring one of the main factors. TLJ

Disney is working overtime trying to cover up the fact that TLJ is the most hated movie of all time. 

The trades this weekend have made it blatant how much they bend over backwards to downplay Disney flops. You have superhero fatigue articles coming out each time a superhero movie doesn't over perform (Deadpool 2) and obituaries being written for cinematic universes for a flop after a major hit (justice league) but excuses for A Wrinkle in Time and Solo have been ridiculous. Still can't get over how Mendelson compared Solo to Antman and Thor 1. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

I guess since the 3 biggest characters in this movie are white(SoLow, Clarke, and Harrelson) he can't blame these numbers on sexist nerds, the alt-right, or MAGA douches, especially since it bombed everywhere not just in the US.  That crowd's brains must be hurting right now, they can't figure it out!  B-b-b-but TLJ got 90% on RT wtf bro!

Very true. The list of excuses by LF shills has just gotten longer. After fatigue/frequency, Cursed Memorial Day and hot weather in Europe, they now added alt-left to the list. Anyone's fault but LF's. 

@John Marston They'll never admit it openly. You'll know when RJ's trilogy either gets put on the backburner or he's demoted to executive producer and when KK's contract doesn't get renewed by they give her position to JJ or whoever they think will be more popular with fans. 

So given that Solo is a complete disaster at the box office, does anyone here have any predictions about what it's 2nd weekend will look like?  Honestly curious.  Since predictions for this movie are probably out the window and it's anyone's overtly pessimistic guess...

Just took a quick look at the JL numbers, the movie did 78m in it's Mon-Sun after that opening weekend, ending at about 171m end of day Sunday on the 2nd weekend.  After that it dramatically fell even further obviously.  Of course JL did about 93m in its first 3 days, Solo doesn't even come up to that level, but it had a better Monday than JL putting them both at 101m after 4 days.

JL total domestic run was under 230m, and right now I don't see any reason to believe Solo is going to reach that high.

1 minute ago, REC said:

So given that Solo is a complete disaster at the box office, does anyone here have any predictions about what it's 2nd weekend will look like?  Honestly curious.  Since predictions for this movie are probably out the window and it's anyone's overtly pessimistic guess...

Just took a quick look at the JL numbers, the movie did 78m in it's Mon-Sun after that opening weekend, ending at about 171m end of day Sunday on the 2nd weekend.  After that it dramatically fell even further obviously.  Of course JL did about 93m in its first 3 days, Solo doesn't even come up to that level, but it had a better Monday than JL putting them both at 101m after 4 days.

JL total domestic run was under 230m, and right now I don't see any reason to believe Solo is going to reach that high.

Likeky -65% drop

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, REC said:

I have it at about a $35-40M second weekend.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

I never knew Spider-Man 2 decreased from Spider-man. Granted it was only like $40M but still 

:winomg:

The sequel to a mega blockbuster (about 65-70m+ admissions) always decreases - SM2 had the lowest % decrease (about 8%) among them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

Disney is working overtime trying to cover up the fact that TLJ is the most hated movie of all time. 

If disney never care the hatred from SW fans, we only have fans to blame, SW fans has proven that they are very resilient to their own dissatisfaction, and will still show up for the next one. That rendered studio from taking the fans feeling seriously. 

Solo failure can be excused as "spin off factor" or whatever competition reasoning. Ep9 will be a testament for sequel trilogy when all the nostalgic factor is washed away and replaced by huge dissatisfaction among fans, simultaneously a testament of how right of RT vs Fans on TLJ. 

And i doubt Ep9 will be still that lucky by being a lone blockbuster during christmas since TLJ and JUmanji showcase has proven x-man/NY is big enough for 2 blockbuster to coexist.  

• Like 1