Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, titanic2187 said:

This is even more disappointing than solo's underperforming and DP2 2nd's weekend hold combined, a notable journalist failed to acknowledge how awful was TLJ to a significant portion of SW fans by just trying to blame that white-men is why the box office failed. Isn't it the lead of MCU, ironman, cap america and thor are white man? Isn't it deadpool a white men? Isn't it dunkirk was full of white-men? Don't tell me american sniper made 350m due to its non-white men lead! 

Stop trying to make movie industry become a battle of sexes in real live.  

One of the dumbest articles ever

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Jesus Christ Scotty

Just read the article not the click bait title, it is an obvious old rift on blaming movie failure/or potential in some market on the lead ethnicity, not saying that it is the case:

I’m not going to argue that overseas audiences are drawn to big movies starring women and minorities more than standard white guy 

That said I wonder if male lead under 30 that look young and are not playing highschooler/really young could be a bad idea for tentpole, I feel Valerian male lead didn't pass among audience for example, male actor usually start to be successful outside playing someone that need to be young in the story after 30, even after 35 (Brando, Pratt, Cooper, etc... all had their first success 35+), DiCaprio seem to have turned a corner also since he turned 35.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, baumer said:

And that's why this place is better with you here than when you are gone.  We need honest non-reactionary comments.  Thanks for being that guy.  Not that you are the only one here who does that, but you are one of the posters whose opinion and analysis I respect.

The issue with dP2 is that DP blew up and did so much more than anyone thought it would.  If you will recall, when Deadpool was first announced, people thought an R rated third rate super hero movie starring Ryan Reynolds would perhaps do Green Lantern numbers.  We were all wrong of course, so very wrong.  And now with it declining, so many of us here (myself included when making predictions in the summer game) forgot that a lot of sequels decline, especially when they hit a number like the first DP did.  So this decline isn't surprising and the fact that it will come close to 700 is fantastic.

We all just need to temper out expectations from time to time.

Yes. Probably the best benchmark to compare would have been SM--SM2; both SM and DP redefined the superhero genre as we know it, so it was always going to be an uphill task matching the first one. But we all get too excited sometimes when making predictions. :)

Edited by Fake

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

a notable journalist failed to acknowledge how awful was TLJ to a significant portion of SW fans by just trying to blame that white-men

I wondering have you read the article ?

Did Solo: A Star Wars Story disappoint because it had a white male lead? Would that it were so simple!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I wondering have you read the article ?

Did Solo: A Star Wars Story disappoint because it had a white male lead? Would that it were so simple!

After the ludicrous click bait title does he deserve to have his article read?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

that's right they hunger for more Avatar, first good analysis I've seen from you DMAN7

Avatar 2 will crash and burn ( compared to the first one )  hopefully we will be here to enjoy it 

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

After the ludicrous click bait title does he deserve to have his article read?

If he deserve to have the content of is article judged and commented well sure, but that is a stretch. The clickbaiter do not deserve to get is traffic it is getting with people posting this all over the message boards.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I'm not saying I'm happy to see Solo go so low (ha), but I do think this weekend was vindication for some of us who really got shit on the weekend of TLJ.  The polarization from that film was a VERY real thing that had very real effects with the GA.  The GA doesn't care about troubled production and director changes but they DO care about a previous film that leaves a very sour tase in their mouths.  Some of us saw this in our social circles almost instantaneously and this weekend confirmed it if there was any doubt left.

The brand isn't untouchable because NO brand is untouchable.  Disney/Marvel/Lucas is going to get it right way more often that not but Solo should serve as a very real warning shot to the studio that the next saga or stand alone has a real uphill battle.

I'll be honest, I'm super happy about Solow cause AIW had a great hold dom and OS. Whatever boosts AIW or soften its drop is good to me. :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, BardCrank said:

Avatar 2 will crash and burn ( compared to the first one )  hopefully we will be here to enjoy it 

Going against the last bastion of hope for director driven blockbusters is sad! I will be here to share his triumph with everyone here and I hope you will be able to celebrate with us.

29 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Scott Mendelson finally figured it out! It’s not the holiday or hot weather or TLJ backlash. Thread’s over folks.

5_CB9_C88_B_5_DA8_46_C9_834_A_DC00_E1_DF

Jesus fucking Christ.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Scott Mendelson finally figured it out! It’s not the holiday or hot weather or TLJ backlash. Thread’s over folks.

This article is comedy gold! Click bait or not, I'm laughing so hard and want everyone to experience this laughfest. Check this gem:

A King Arthur movie starring Chiwetel Ejiofor or Diego Luna would be an event in a way that a Charlie Hunnam King Arthur movie was not.

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Scotty thinks King Arthur was actually good  :lol: only the lead was too white to get the message across to the mass audience. Good times. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

I also agree with @baumer.  

I think bias and taste are also playing a factor.  Ocean's 8 isn't exactly tailored for a majority of the board's demo.  

You have the same problem with "Mary Poppins Returns" a lot of people here just don't get how big, i fit's good (admittidly a big if)  Poppins could   be becaise it is not a "geekk"film a CBM/Sci fi/horror film...nothing wronge with those genres,but to be unable to see beyond them is not good.

• Like 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

This article is comedy gold! Click bait or not, I'm laughing so hard and want everyone to experience this laughfest. Check this gem:

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Scotty thinks King Arthur was actually good only the lead was too white to get the message across to the mass audience. Good times. 

Ok, this is it. I read Mendelsons articles sometimes, but not anymore. Someone who writes something like that cannot be taken seriously.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This is even more disappointing than solo's underperforming and DP2 2nd's weekend hold combined, a notable journalist failed to acknowledge how awful was TLJ to a significant portion of SW fans by just trying to blame that white-men is why the box office failed. Isn't it the lead of MCU, ironman, cap america and thor are white man? Isn't it deadpool a white men? Isn't it dunkirk was full of white-men? Don't tell me american sniper made 350m due to its non-white men lead! 

Stop trying to make movie industry become a battle of sexes in real live. 

The argument is obviously stupid and click-baity.  As you point out, its easily refuted by multiple examples.

giphy.gif

Edited by REC

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Ok, this is it. I read Mendelsons articles sometimes, but not anymore. Someone who writes something like that cannot be taken seriously.

There is a disclaimer in small letters under his name that "opinions of Forbes contributors are their own". :Venom:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Oh that's good.

Moonlight made more overseas than in North America.

Well there we are. White male led films are done. Proof right there.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

You have the same problem with "Mary Poppins Returns" a lot of people here just don't get how big, i fit's good (admittidly a big if)  Poppins could   be becaise it is not a "geekk"film a CBM/Sci fi/horror film...nothing wronge with those genres,but to be unable to see beyond them is not good.

You ok?