Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

47 minutes ago, Nova said:

Did I say Deadpool 2 was a family movie though? I did not. But you'd be fooling yourself if you didn't actually think there was a cross in audience between IW, DP2 and Solo. 

And thanks for bringing up how much it costs a family to go to the theaters. If a family spent $100 at Infinity War, they're not going to spend another $100 for Han Solo a month later with the thought that they'd be spending another $100 less than a month later for Incredibles 2. That's $300 in less than two months on just movies alone with the summer barely starting. 

And again yea a month time isnt that long of a time period. But not everyone likes to go to the theaters several times a month and not everyone has the money to spend $50 (assuming theyre single) at the theaters in a month. Yea I spent $50 to see IW, DP2 and Han Solo just for myself. And that's not including any snacks. But again I love movies. It's why I'm on this forum. And I fortunately don't have other financial burdens to consider so spending that $50 wasn't a big deal. 

This is a concept that for some reason doesn't click in the minds for folks on this forum (myself included) for who knows what reason but @TwoMisfits will be the first to tell you (as she has a family) that everything I've stated is something to consider and that yes most families actually do have to pick and choose which movies they plan to go to since movies aren't cheap. And I imagine it's the same for individuals who are on a budget. 

Yes, yes you know me...and I'm still waiting for the movie subscription service that gets this fact:).

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Not a movie I'd give a sequel to.  It might won't drop as hard as Alice 2 because it didn't benefit from the 3D boom but then again that didn't save The Huntsman...

It has some eerie parallels to Alice 2. 5+ year release gap, first of both came out when these things were still somewhat of a novelty, who asked for a sequel, the leads both had huge draw power during the time of the first but very diminished by the second, etc. I know some may argue with me on that last point, and it's hard to say for sure since Jolie has basically disappeared ever since Maleficent. But I definitely think her absence combined with somewhat negative press of her divorce and not being a part of the "it" Hollywood couple anymore has hurt her draw power. 

16 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Roseanne got cancelled too, some ppl afraid of ~ reactions by TV GA?

It was when the market opened this morning,

p.s. wait is she talking about someone big evil WW2 actions, when he was 9 when the war started and put in a terrible situation to survive.

Edited by Barnack

Maleficent 2 is gonna bomb. who the fuck asked for the sequel? The first one was drek (Sharlto Copley gave the worst performance of 2 centuries) and got away on Jolie power alone cause she was a perfect match for the character. But the flick sucked ass. 

These actuals suck. Hopefully this weekend has some breathing room, although Solo may die like Godzilla ‘14 did. 

Although the first weekend of June, may be one of the least attended in over a decade possibly.  

Hopefully Oceans 8 gets us back in good spirits next week.

Edited by Maxmoser3

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Maleficent 2 is gonna bomb. who the fuck asked for the sequel? The first one was drek (Sharlto Copley gave the worst performance of 2 centuries) and got away on Jolie power alone cause she was a perfect match for the character. But the flick sucked ass. 

Besides, iirc they made her pretty much completely good by the end of the film. The whole draw in the first place was seeing Jolie ham it up as one of the most evil Disney villains. If they're not gonna backtrack and make her more evil in this sequel and she's gonna be completely good then it's really gonna tank. 

3 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Wait, Roseanne got canceled? HA!

Highest rated series of the .. station (abc = station?), cancelled in my POV rather fast after those.... ughhh

Disney is definitivly not FOX if it is about something like that (strange thing to write with in the future Fox being a part of Disney rather possibel)

16 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

So IW came in a tiny bit below the 3-day estimate (by ~145k), yet quite a bit above the 4-day one. That's quite the weird mix ;)

On the other hand, Disney seems to be notorious for playing it safe with the estimate for the last day of the weekend almost every single time.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Back in 1963, the Liz Taylor Cleopatra was the number one movie   for the the year but still lost FOx lots of money;it did not break even until Fox sold it to television and the video release.

The Wizard of Oz also didn't make money when it was released in 1939. The difference is that both films were popular hits, but they didn't recoup their budgets immediately because they were so expensive for the times they were made in. SOLO is a bomb, not a popular film, and can't be compared to Cleopatra.

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It was when the market opened this morning,

p.s. wait is she talking about someone big evil WW2 actions, when he was 9 when the war started and put in a terrible situation to survive.

Yes but that's not why she was fired.  It was another tweet -a very racist one. Her agency also dropped her.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, George Parr said:

So IW came in a tiny bit below the 3-day estimate (by ~145k), yet quite a bit above the 4-day one. That's quite the weird mix ;)

On the other hand, Disney seems to be notorious for playing it safe with the estimate for the last day of the weekend almost every single time.

The original 3 Day estimate was $16.45m

• Like 1

The Roseanne cancellation is pretty nuts. I hadn't even seen the tweet yet when I read the news. They reacted fast. Pretty shocked they would cancel the whole show with how successful it was. That's definitely sending a message. Though part of me feels it's unfair to the rest of the cast and everyone who enjoys the characters. And Roseanne on the show has always been a character, that finale season flopped so hard because it was the first time she was basically just portraying her wacko self instead of the character. I wish they would have done something like a massive pay cut for Barr herself. Though then she may have ducked out so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.