WrathOfHan

Thanksgiving Weekend Thread: ESTIMATES (Page 40) | Ralph 55.7M (84.5M Total) | Creed II 35.3M (55.8M Total) | The Grinch 30.2M | Grindelwald 29.7M | Robin Hood 9.1M (14.2M Total) | AMAZING BLACK FRIDAY SALE

10 minutes ago, YLF said:

should I see greenbook, wreck it Ralph 2(I haven't seen the first), or crimes of Grindelwald tonight?

If you want to know what death feels like at the movies, choose the Grindelwald flick.

One in a lifetime experience.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

I'm a major Potter fan and quite liked the charm of the first FB but this gross is bloody deserved.

I don't think it is fair to dump blame at Yates' door per se, even if I'd like a new director on board. He has been underwhelming to good previously, but what really shows up here is Rowling's inability to write a screenplay.

She's a great author to many, but this sequel is a bridge too far. There is literally no point for this movie to exist. It is basically side plot galore and most of no consequence, now even if JKR used to that for her books, these aren't books. A movie can't survive on a plot where nothing of consequence happens. Even the most useless of blockbusters try to tell a story within the movie- CoG does not.

What does the film's story boil down to? (Venturing into spoiler territory so will move it to the Review Forum).

So, hopefully it is a wake up call for all involved. I hope Rowling can put her ego aside, because the next one being of the same vein will kill the franchise for good. You could say CoG is the real killer, but as people have been hoodwinked into seeing it this time it'll make money, even if a very disappointing total. For all intents and purposes, it is though. Unless changes are made to how the movie is produced, written and possibly directed, the FB franchise will end with the next one.

• Like 3

So, I'm in New York for Thanksgiving and I'm in a bit of a predicament. You see, me and my group are wanting to see a movie at the IFC center over the weekend, and they're giving me a say in regards to which film we see. I know it'd be a once in a lifetime experience to see Roma in theaters, but I know that it's coming to Netflix in three weeks; I might want to see another film where it would be much later until I'm able to see it at all, such as Wildlife, Border, or Shoplifters. It would also be interesting to see the documentary about F1 racing, The Last Race.

Which film do you guys suggest I recommend to the group?

10 minutes ago, Slambros said:

So, I'm in New York for Thanksgiving and I'm in a bit of a predicament. You see, me and my group are wanting to see a movie at the IFC center over the weekend, and they're giving me a say in regards to which film we see. I know it'd be a once in a lifetime experience to see Roma in theaters, but I know that it's coming to Netflix in three weeks; I might want to see another film where it would be much later until I'm able to see it at all, such as Wildlife, Border, or Shoplifters. It would also be interesting to see the documentary about F1 racing, The Last Race.

Roma (if you can even get tickets)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

I'm a major Potter fan and quite liked the charm of the first FB but this gross is bloody deserved.

I don't think it is fair to dump blame at Yates' door per se, even if I'd like a new director on board. He has been underwhelming to good previously, but what really shows up here is Rowling's inability to write a screenplay.

She's a great author to many, but this sequel is a bridge too far. There is literally no point for this movie to exist. It is basically side plot galore and most of no consequence, now even if JKR used to that for her books, these aren't books. A movie can't survive on a plot where nothing of consequence happens. Even the most useless of blockbusters try to tell a story within the movie- CoG does not.

What does the film's story boil down to? (Venturing into spoiler territory so will move it to the Review Forum).

So, hopefully it is a wake up call for all involved. I hope Rowling can put her ego aside, because the next one being of the same vein will kill the franchise for good. You could say CoG is the real killer, but as people have been hoodwinked into seeing it this time it'll make money, even if a very disappointing total. For all intents and purposes, it is though. Unless changes are made to how the movie is produced, written and possibly directed, the FB franchise will end with the next one.

I think Rowling and Heyman will be kept on but Yates' position is looking shaky. Any autonomy that the creative team previously had before is either gone or a lot less. 

26 minutes ago, Felandria said:

I almost wonder if people wandered into the wrong theater.

i thought CoG might just be among the best Potter films.

it had one thing the others didn’t.

the element of surprise.

I thought the story for CoG was strong (would have been a very good book) but it was poorly-translated into a screenplay IMO

1 hour ago, Slambros said:

ROMA.

ROMA.

ROMA.

If you can’t even get tickets due to a sellout, do Shoplifters or maybe The Favourite.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I thought the story for CoG was strong (would have been a very good book) but it was poorly-translated into a screenplay IMO

JK Rowling isn't a screenwriter and WB made the mistake of letting her be a screenwriter for these films. 

• Like 2

Ralph is increasing at the theatre I'm tracking for Thursday:

Yesterday: 160 tickets (with 13 coming from a 10:00 PM show)

Today: 187 tickets (and that is without the 10:00 show)

Front Runner also increasing (lol):

Yesterday: 27 tickets (with only 1 coming from a 10:00 PM show)

Today: 30 tickets (without the 10:00 show)

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Roma (if you can even get tickets)

40 minutes ago, Spagspiria said:

ROMA.

ROMA.

ROMA.

If you can’t even get tickets due to a sellout, do Shoplifters or maybe The Favourite.

Okay! That's what I'll go for! Hopefully there'll be six seats available!

35 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Ralph Breaks The Internet⁠ ⁠ - $7,322,910 from 2483 Locations. That's 30% down from Wednesday at same time. From a pure $14.7mn Wednesday, this would give us $10.25-10.75mn Thursday. Rather steep drop 

However I expect a bigger jump on Friday after this fall. $90mn 5 days seems tough after this drop, let's hope final number are somehow better 

28 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The Grinch $3,330,293 from 2548 Locations, has the biggest drop in top 4, of 33% at same time from Wednesday. Reason, could be direct competition from Ralph. Full day would be $4.75-5mn.

That's normal for kids movies on Thanksgiving. Tomorrow they'll increase 100% (and likely much higher) from today.

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Fantastic Beasts⁠: The Crimes of Grindelwald⁠ $4,419,585 from 2634 Locs, -7% from Wednesday at same time, rather surprisingly good hold. The first one dipped 12% on Thursday. Final day would be $6.25-6.4mn.

Finally a bit of good news.  The goal for this is now 175 (though it'll be a stretch).

13 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm not going to get into that because I don't want to argue with his fans but I'll generically say that Depp schtick adds nothing to any film's box office at this point. WB could have saved 15-20mil by keeping Colin Farrell and the film would have performed the exact same as it is now. And yes, the Potter connection would have kept the overseas numbers just as robust. 

So what's the deal with that switchover in FB1?  (haven't read interviews surrounding this)   Did Farrell just not want to get attached to a franchise?  Did they want Depp originally but couldn't get him because of scheduling?  Did Farrell "know" he was playing "Depp/Grindlewald" when he made the movie?  I find it hard to believe they consciously "planned" that reveal...it was both surprising, but also very weird and perfunctory. 

Ironically, Depp will end up being part of yet another underperforming film relative to its cost...but this time, it actually sounds like it really has nothing to do with him.

2 hours ago, Slambros said:

Okay! That's what I'll go for! Hopefully there'll be six seats available!

If there aren't (or hell, even if there are), let me vouch for Wildlife. Solid domestic drama not too dissimilar from Asghar Farhadi. This film's awards seasons chances have mostly dissipated as it came and went at the box office with its only Oscar hopes being a lot-shot Best Actress for Mulligan and a mid-shot for cinematography (although looking at the latest Feinberg Forecast, maybe not). Gyllenhaal is reliably good (but definitely supporting), I want to see & am interested in whatever Paul Dano directs next, and Ed Oxenbould was quite good to me as the child stuck in the middle of it. A very blank-faced/fairly stoic on-the-surface performance but you can intuit what's going on in his character's mind throughout the movie. Haven't seen much written about him from the movie but hope he gets more work in good movies in the future. Montana (and Oklahoma) are beautiful beautiful beautiful. Not locations you see often in movies but they are majestic af in this movie and, while you'd still get a good sense of it watching on a phone/laptop, seeing the vistas and landscapes on the big screen are worth it if you get a chance. As for the movie itself, it's a pretty straightforward domestic drama that doesn't get too highfalutin or have too much scenery-chewing but that's probably why I'm drawn more too it, a lot more grounded and slice-of-life than typical awards contenders imo. Not to give away too much but there were definitely parts of this movie where I got upset at a character, I'm more of a quietly-taking-in-movie kind of viewer (even comedies) but I remember my face being visibly scrunched in borderline anger. I wish I had seen this with some female friends, it'd be a good discussion as the two sides could see things differently. [Thank God for the editor on this site, I accidentally backspaced/go back a page and thought I just lost all this]

Spoiler

[Plot spoilers here on out] Mulligan's character is presented very well at the beginning of the movie, probably being the most clearheaded character but damn did I get really steamed at her later on even if I understand that she felt very abandoned and needed intimacy. At the same time, I get Gyllenhaal's character's decision to turn down the offer of his old job back based pretty much on pride (hell, I'd most likely make the same decision) and feeling it was his duty to help fight the fire. Both characters have flaws (Gyllenhaal's character being a miserable drunk when unemployed; Mulligan's characters indiscretions) but aren't reduced to plot points and having positive/relatable aspects (Mulligan's character's clearheadedness and springing into action about getting a job when Gyllenhaal is initially let go; Gyllenhaal, while very much a 1960s dad is loving and caring towards his son and wife if not touchy-feely and his feeling of betrayal and hurt by Mulligan wouldn't be there if he didn't love her).

If not this weekend then do make a point to check out this movie, it's definitely one that could easily be forgotten as some of the more high-profile remaining awards contenders (Vice; Mary Queen of Scots; Favourite) suck up all the air in the room.

Edited by BobDole
  • Like 2